Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Rogers Embraces Workouts

authentic

Rogers Embraces Workouts

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

PH2009060203389.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/02/AR2009060203387.html

CB Carlos Rogers is a mainstay at offseason workouts, and when he wasn't around for the Washington Redskins' first organized team activity Monday at Redskins Park, Coach Jim Zorn said, "That was one of the surprises."

Rogers, though, was back yesterday, and said he was sick Monday. "Just throwing up," he said. All's well now, and the fifth-year player from Auburn put in his endorsement for these workouts.

"It's real important," Rogers said. "Any time you can be with the team, and we're putting in defenses, then it refreshes your mind for defenses that we did last year. You come out here, some stuff you're going to remember. If you're just playing single, or you're playing cover-2, that's easy. But some of the trap things, this can help your mind be fresh when you come to training camp. You don't have to go through the coaching of it. It's automatic. You sit there, and you're like, 'I don't have to write this down in my notebook, because I know it.'

"I enjoy being around the guys. This is fun. In the offseason, instead of sitting at home doing nothing, just working out and chilling, I'd rather be here. I don't have no problem being here."

Rogers is coming off a season in which he set a career high with 24 passes defended, though his shaky hands yielded only two interceptions. He will be paired with DeAngelo Hall, who joined the Redskins midway through last year and was signed as a free agent in the offseason.

Rogers, though, was back yesterday, and said he was sick Monday. "Just throwing up," he said. All's well now, and the fifth-year player from Auburn put in his endorsement for these workouts.

so it's true, he can catch ill

i really hope we extend this guy

Am I the only guy left still not totally sold on 'Los? And I'm not just talking about his hands.

Granted, his play in the main went a long way to turning me around last year; but the second half of the year, he sure had a drop off and was back to giving opponents a big cushion, some bringing avoidable TD's. Now, to be fair, that may of been down to the Coach', or just the season catching up, but I'd like to see another consistent year out of him before I proclaim him as the "best shutdown corner in the league", as many have on here.

I'm not for one minute saying can his ass. I'm certainly more open to him than I was this time last year, just still not totally sold, shrugs.

Hail.

dude can cover, thats what you need your CB to do first and foremost. We're going to miss him when he is gone and they are passing all over us. We were what, 28th in sacks last year? No pressure and the guy still covers his men.

He can cover a #1 receiver well. He can tackle well. Hope we sign him to a new contract.

Agreed.

If Carlos continues to cover the #1 receiver whilst Hall takes his $50m contract across to cover the #2 guy, thats gonna looks odd, IMO.

I also think Landry will cover Hall's side of the field more than Carlos'.

I'll be honest, I thought his attitude let him down late season when we benched him following the Hall signing. I can understand it to a degree but I didn't like it. Can't deny his coverage through the first half of last year was great, tho.

I too hope he gets his money as a Redskin.

He took a while to really start to blossom and the coaches have said he finally started clicking after he got hurt in that he understood what it was all about and put in the time in the weight room/film room/etc. and it showed last year. There's no reason not to expect more improvement this year. I hope we re-sign him. He's still young, although not as young as you'd hope/expect despite not playing for that long (he was pretty old coming out of college) but he's definitely coming into his own if he can continue to improve from last year.

Carlos is a stud in coverage. It is not his hands, but his knee that makes me hesitant. It might be more wise to wait on signing him until we know if there will be a cap next year. Carlos did have a knee reconstruction last year and has had some recent swelling. If there is a cap, we can't afford to throw 50 million plus at a guy with a balky Knee. If there is no cap, then we should hold onto everybody. If we wait to sign him and there is a cap, then at least we'll know how his knee held up during the season this year before throwing the money at him.

i don't think the knee is a big deal. it's not like he has a history of knee problems; it was an acute incident. he played great on it last year, so a little swelling in the off-season is nothing to freak out about.

sign him long-term! Carlos, Hall and Landry complement each other perfectly and are all young. why mess that up?

i don't think the knee is a big deal. it's not like he has a history of knee problems; it was an acute incident. he played great on it last year, so a little swelling in the off-season is nothing to freak out about.

sign him long-term! Carlos, Hall and Landry complement each other perfectly and are all young. why mess that up?

The knee is actually a really big deal. After tearing an ACL, whether the knee is reconstructed or not, degenerative changes, meaning arthritis, are a very real risk. The fact that he is having swelling may mean that there is damage either to the meniscus, or to the joint cartilage itself. Locking up 50 million dollars in a player who may be less effective every year due to injury just isn't smart in a capped system. Now if he able to play through the season and doesn't seem to have persistant swelling or problems, then I agree, we should sign him and cross our fingers.

For just one article that supports my view, follow the below link. If anyone can think of a WR or CB that tore their ACL, had a reconstruction, and then had multiple years of high level production, I would be very interested. I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Cromartie is the best example I can think of, but he seems to have fallen off after his rookie year.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/57951.php

It's too bad that Landry doesn't think this way. With Moore and Horton I would consider trading him for a 1st after this year. He still has value and he seems selfish. He will want big money and my hunch is that Moore is just as capable.

It's too bad that Landry doesn't think this way. With Moore and Horton I would consider trading him for a 1st after this year. He still has value and he seems selfish. He will want big money and my hunch is that Moore is just as capable.
Probably the only person who really thinks Moore is as capable of playing the FS spot as well as Landry is his own mother.

We don't know anything about Moore really, but Landry was a very high 1st round pick for a reason and is an absolute stud. If we had say, the Ravens or Steelers pass rush, then sure, we wouldn't need Landry, but we don't and he plays lights out covering over the top while we give QBs all day in the pocket.

As far as Rogers goes, I'm expecting big things out of him this year to build on his strong 2008 and 2007 seasons.

Probably the only person who really thinks Moore is as capable of playing the FS spot as well as Landry is his own mother.

I always hear good things about Moore and that his range is excellent. He's not the hitter that Landry is; however, I am sure Moore shows up to autographs, OTA's, and other team activities. Only Ed Reed and Sean Taylor should have ever been a top ten Safety in the draft. Safety is essentially never chosen in the top ten unless your name starts with Sean or Ed and you come from the University of Miami!

I hope those shaky hands can catch this year. Imagine this though, Carlos in a franchise year and Hall with the chip on his shoulder............two pro bowl Redskins CB's would be amazing. We will have the number 1 or 2 ranked defense this year........NO EXCUSES

Did you just compare Kareem Moore and Landry?..not enough time to break that mistake down...but I hope Rogers and Hall take Barnes under their wings and mold him into great cover corner....

Am I the only guy left still not totally sold on 'Los? And I'm not just talking about his hands.

Granted, his play in the main went a long way to turning me around last year; but the second half of the year, he sure had a drop off and was back to giving opponents a big cushion, some bringing avoidable TD's. Now, to be fair, that may of been down to the Coach', or just the season catching up, but I'd like to see another consistent year out of him before I proclaim him as the "best shutdown corner in the league", as many have on here.

I'm not for one minute saying can his ass. I'm certainly more open to him than I was this time last year, just still not totally sold, shrugs.

Hail.

I hated, hated, hated the Rogers pick until Week 2 in 2007 when he shut down the Eagles. I thought that Rogers was slow, clueless, and had hands of stone. While the latter may not have been disproven, since then, Rogers has been earning his draft pick more than any other player on the team not named Samuels or Taylor. He just plain shuts people down, and there are few corners I would take over Rogers, if any. He's shown that he's elite and he works harder than anyone. Who comes back MONTHS early from a torn ACL and STILL performs at that level? Nobody.

Rogers is easily a top-five favorite for me, and I'll be ridiculously disappointed if we let him go anywhere.

Two months and three days late on what I'm praying, for your sake, is an April Fool's joke.

Come on now...

Im not a big LOS fan either. He had what amounts to 2 good 1/2 seasons. He was playing well prior to his injury and last year he had a break through year for the first half. The second half he got benched and wined. He's still injury prone and still has hands of stone. The recent aquisition of Barnes should give you a clue about just how comfortable the FO is with LOS considering we took Tryon last year. If he really played up to his top 10 pick statis then we would not be talking about extensions. He wouldve been extended by now.

Just like JC. If LOS has a great year then he'll ask for big money. I dont think he's worth it. This defense should produce more turnovers with Albert and Rak applying the pressure. I dont want to see 24 pass defenses. I want to see some of those as picks! Turnovers=field position=win. LOS needs to live up to his top10 billing for one entire season and not just flashes during a season IMO.

Archived