Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: 16-year-old held without bail in death of Crofton boy, 14

LeesburgSkinFan

He was the son of a police officer...I wonder if that had anything to do with this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-crofton0601,0,4056611.story

16-year-old held without bail in death of Crofton boy, 14

By Andrea F. Siegel and Nicole Fuller | andrea.siegel@baltsun.com and nicole.fuller@baltsun.com

2:26 PM EDT, June 1, 2009

An Anne Arundel County judge on Monday ordered a teenager held without bail in the death of a 14-year-old Crofton boy, who a witness says fell off his bike after being beaten up Saturday.

Christopher David Jones of the 2400 block of Old Mystic Court died Saturday after he was found injured about 4:15 p.m. at Nantucket Drive and Wellfleet Lane in Crofton, about a half-mile from his home.

District Court Judge Thomas Pryal ordered that Javel M. George, 16, who is charged as an adult with manslaughter, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment, be held without bail.

Another suspect -- a 14-year-old boy -- has been charged with the same offenses as a juvenile and is being held at Cheltenham Juvenile Facility.

Police received multiple 911 calls about an injured boy in the street. Several witnesses had followed the assailants, who are accused of punching Christopher's head and face, and provided physical descriptions of the suspects. At least one person gave an eyewitness statement.

"The eyewitness states that after both of the suspects struck the victim, the victim tried to flee the area on his bicycle, pedaling a very short distance, eventually falling to the ground, striking his head," documents say.

After the suspects were located and brought in for questioning, both admitted to striking Christopher's head and face with their fists before he fell, the documents say.

Christopher, a freshman at South River High School, had transferred to the school in late April from Arundel High School.

"It was not a school-imposed transfer," said Bob Mosier, a school system spokesman. "I don't know if they moved. I don't know the reason."

George, 16, is a freshman at Arundel High School. It was not immediately clear which school the 14-year-old attends.

Mosier said he was unsure if the students knew one another and could not comment on whether any of them had previous discipline issues, citing student privacy laws.

"We're working with the police to establish any ties that may have existed between all these people," Mosier said. Monday morning, at both of the high schools touched by the tragedy, there was an "additional presence" of police, Mosier said, to "get the school day off to a positive start."

Mosier said grief counselors had been dispatched to both schools to talk to students and teachers. He said a "sizable" number of students and teachers had taken advantage of the service At Arundel High, while the number at South River was smaller.

"They'll be there as long as they're needed, talking them through their feelings, dealing with their grief and pain," Mosier said.

Mosier said the schools are sending home notes to parents and guardians with students so that they can "cope with their feelings and process and relay any feelings."

Edward R. Reilly, chairman of the Anne Arundel County Council and a Crofton resident, called the situation "heartbreaking."

"Crofton is susceptible to the ills of society just like any other area," Reilly said, listing several crimes that have occurred over the years in the middle-class suburban community. "I've lived in Crofton for 32 years and would never change where I live. I just hope and pray that people find a way to respect each other and their neighbors. What happened is just absolutely horrible."

Reilly added, "Families need to work hard at providing a good environment, and good values and good friends for their kids. I don't know these families, but my heart goes out to them something awful."

I read about this yesterday and it made me pretty angry. Nothing like a group of cowards beating up on a poor innocent kid. A least the 16 year old will be charged as an adult and I hope the little **** get's sodomized over and over in prison. No bleeding hearts need apply to this thread like the one that involved the pharmacist "murdering" a would be robber and possible murderer.

Didn't read the whole thing....Did the 14 year old die from the beating he took, or or did he die from striking his head when he fell off the bike as he fled the scene? I'd say that makes a pretty big difference in the case. Either way, very tragic.

I read about this yesterday and it made me pretty angry. Nothing like a group of cowards beating up on a poor innocent kid. A least the 16 year old will be charged as an adult and I hope the little **** get's sodomized over and over in prison. No bleeding hearts need apply to this thread like the one that involved the pharmacist "murdering" a would be robber and possible murderer.

Someone got picked on as a teen.

Teenagers fight and sometimes really bad things happen. The fact that the teens are being charged with manslaughter and not murder says a lot to me. And it doesn't say anything about these two kids picking some random kid off the street and attacking him. Maybe you read a different article with more information. I don't know.

It doesn't diminish the tragedy of a family burying their teen son though and the other kids will be punished accordingly.

Didn't read the whole thing....Did the 14 year old die from the beating he took, or or did he die from striking his head when he fell off the bike as he fled the scene? I'd say that makes a pretty big difference in the case. Either way, very tragic.
\

Same thing I was thinking. If that's the case, I don't think it's any different than someone getting in a fight, fleeing in their car, and getting in a car crash and dying.

On the news they said the attackers were regulars in the gang community. Are there really gangs in Anne Arundel County? I have cousins who live there and go to Arundel and it doesn't seem like 'gang-like' behavior is occuring there, nonethless, having 'gangs' that are prevalent in the communities there. Feel free to correct me.

It truly is a tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and his family/friends.

Someone got picked on as a teen.

Teenagers fight and sometimes really bad things happen. The fact that the teens are being charged with manslaughter and not murder says a lot to me. And it doesn't say anything about these two kids picking some random kid off the street and attacking him. Maybe you read a different article with more information. I don't know.

It doesn't diminish the tragedy of a family burying their teen son though and the other kids will be punished accordingly.

If you were listening to 101.1 you'd know that yes, these kids were picking people at random. Someone elses child was beat up by these same kids, randomly. They were trying to make a name for themselves as a "gang." Unlikely you'd get that information if you were not listening in though.

\

Same thing I was thinking. If that's the case, I don't think it's any different than someone getting in a fight, fleeing in their car, and getting in a car crash and dying.

If they hit him in the head to the point where he was disoriented, and lost his balance because of it, it's different.

If you were listening to 101.1 you'd know that yes, these kids were picking people at random. Someone elses child was beat up by these same kids, randomly. They were trying to make a name for themselves as a "gang." Unlikely you'd get that information if you were not listening in though.

So were they commiting the acts as part of a 'gang initiation' or did they just want the title of being a gang? (As in no relationship with MS-13/Bloods/Crips/etc.)

One problem I've noticed is a lot of younger kids hanging out with older kids. When I was coming up, we were all within 1 year of each other. Now you have 14 and 15 year olds that routinely hang out with 17 and 18 year olds.

That's true but you can still hang out with kids older than you and not resolve to commiting acts of violence. I would often be around kids that were 2-3 years older than me, especially now, and it did not cause me to go around beating random kids senseless or anything of that nature.

Archived