Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

graphic design question

TGI Jef

any graphic designers out there in the land of Extreme Skins?

have a question.

a close, close, close friend of mine is design an album cover, back cover, cd, and liner notes (single page) for my bands new record. also adding a few things to fix up our myspace page.

the touchy part - what is a fair rate to pay? he is not a professional, but could be, and has no real certifications/degrees in graphic design.

but, again, his stuff is real good.

any ideas?

have a question.

a close, close, close friend of mine is design an album cover, back cover, cd, and liner notes (single page) for my bands new record. also adding a few things to fix up our myspace page.

the touchy part - what is a fair rate to pay? he is not a professional, but could be, and has no real certifications/degrees in graphic design.

any ideas?

Alot of Graphic Designers I have used that are professionals charge $75 an hour. My best friend who while in college was making extra money by doing design work for me and I would pay him $25 an hour. Thats because he was my best friend and I would turn around and sell the work at a higher rate, so he helped me out in that aspect.

Its mostly on how many hours it takes the person to do the work for you. I would first ask your buddy how long he thinks it will take him to do the work and then discuss a price you both find resonable. You obviousuly dont want to short your buddy and I am sure you buddy doesnt want to rip you off. But just an FYI professionals around my area charge $75 an hour and upwards. I would say $35-$45 an hour is a pretty good place to start at since he is a good friend of yours.

It's hard to say. How much time is he putting into it, and how much is his time worth to him?

I do design, and my time is expensive. I estimate how much time a design is going to take me to work up and start there.

~Bang

I wouldn't do it per hour or rate, but make it a fee based contract. Decide what the work is worth to you and then negotiate a price. You can break it up if you want...

CD graphics = x

Web site = x

It's very hard to figure out how much time one puts into these... especially when inspiration is involved. If you do want a rate install a floor and a ceiling that both of you are comfortable with.

Edit: I also charge 50/hr when I need to calculate it that way, although I always put in a minimum number of hours to engage me. I like project based because some employers get into fits trying to prove you didn't work as many hours as you did. Usually these are the pickiest ones who are always changing their minds and adding things as they go along too

I never knew graphic designing could be so expensive.
Neither did I until I started looking into it. But if these people spend alot of time doing something they deserve the money. Especially if you have someone that constantly wants things changed and they have to go back and do something over and over again until the customer is satisfied. If you are really good at what you do people can make good money off design.

I would expect nothing less than $30/hr. $50/$60 an hour is about normal though.

Came to post this. Depending on your quality of work, you may get away with charging a little bit more on the hourly rate, but because it's a friend, that's a fair amount.

Came to post this. Depending on your quality of work, you may get away with charging a little bit more on the hourly rate, but because it's a friend, that's a fair amount.

Definitely true. I hate giving prices in these circumstances due to that. I've had projects that have ranged from $50 to $115/hr. There are so many variables that can determine that though.

I wouldn't do it per hour or rate, but make it a fee based contract. Decide what the work is worth to you and then negotiate a price. You can break it up if you want...

CD graphics = x

Web site = x

It's very hard to figure out how much time one puts into these... especially when inspiration is involved. If you do want a rate install a floor and a ceiling that both of you are comfortable with.

Edit: I also charge 50/hr when I need to calculate it that way, although I always put in a minimum number of hours to engage me. I like project based because some employers get into fits trying to prove you didn't work as many hours as you did. Usually these are the pickiest ones who are always changing their minds and adding things as they go along too

What Burgold said lol :yes:...best to just have a flat fee for the entire project.

i have a quick question if someone would be able to help me. I need someone to crop the logo of toyota so i can only have the rings without a background so i can use it in my PPT

http://www.entirebrands.com/images/toyota.jpg

I'd be really careful with that. Big companies like Toyota are actually on the look out for people misappropriating their trademarks or even parts of it. Better to create your own version than to mess with the potential messiness of angry corporate lawyers (although chances are they will merely threaten you and force you to remove it if they catch you)

I remember working with one health non profit and for an event they used a cross as part of a graphic. It was not a red cross and it was enclosed in several other shapes, but the Red Cross called and claimed that they were encroaching on their imagery because that is what they are associated with and that they must change their symbol immediately. It was crazy and probably unenforceable, but rather they complied rather than deal with all the headaches.

I remember working with one health non profit and for an event they used a cross as part of a graphic. It was not a red cross and it was enclosed in several other shapes, but the Red Cross called and claimed that they were encroaching on their imagery because that is what they are associated with and that they must change their symbol immediately. It was crazy and probably unenforceable, but rather they complied rather than deal with all the headaches.

Heh. I knew the lawyer from Red Cross who's job it was to contact people for using the image. She was a very busy woman. :)

I'm a freelance Designer too and my base rate is $90/hr. I will go up or down depending on what type of job it is and what sort of turnaround the client is looking for.

have a question.

any ideas?

I'm a graphic designer as well. If you were my client I would charge $2400 just for my fee (this doesn't include getting printing the CD, album cover, and liner notes). That's the full "we're doing business" price. But for friends and family I would charge prob $480.

I came up with that amount because from experience it would take about 24 working hours to complete the project x my hourly rate. Which would include meeting with you to get your ideas, actually designing the thing, then the numerous changes that always happen in projects, and then preparing the stuff to be printed.

Done right, you'll feel like you got your money's worth from a designer. The project will be done on time, no surprises and no headaches for the client. Trust me, there can be a lot of headaches.

Yeah, PM me if you have more questions. Would love to help you out.

Archived