Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Air France jet vanishes over the Atlantic Ocean

HogNose

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN0249408020090602

Brazil sights possible plane wreckage in Atlantic

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazilian military planes have sighted wreckage 400 miles off the South American country's northern coast that could be part of an Air France plane that went missing on Sunday night, Brazil's air force said on Tuesday.

The wreckage, which has still not been confirmed to be parts from Air France flight 447, includes metallic objects and plane seats, an air force spokesman said in a televised statement.

(Reporting by Pedro Silva and Pia Palermo; editing by Stuart Grudgings and Eric Beech)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/possible-air-france-af447-2009-crash-debris-sighted_100199970.html

Possible Air France AF447 2009 crash debris sighted

The crew of a French freighter have spotted debris floating on the Atlantic Ocean in an area where missing Air France flight AF447 is suspected of crashing.

The sighting by the crew of the Douce France was said to be in the same area off the coast of Senegal where a pilot with Brazil’s TAM airline reported having seen “orange-colored spots” on the ocean surface around the same time as the Paris-bound flight disappeared.

Air France’s flight AF447 from Rio de Janeiro to Paris went missing Monday morning with 216 passengers and 12 on board. There was no distress signal.

The company said it received a succession of a dozen automatically generated technical messages sent by the jet warning of multiple electric and pressurization failures over four minutes after it hit a fierce storm mid-flight.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and others have warned distressed relatives there is very little hope of survivors – making this the worst loss of life in Air France’s history and the worst civilian air accident since 2001.

Officials have identified a zone some 1,100 kilometers (680 miles) off Brazil’s northeastern coast based on the last signal from Air France flight AF 447 and a large air and sea search is continuing.

A daytime search yesterday by eight Brazilian air force aircraft doing visual sweeps did not turn up anything.

The search continued overnight with a transport aircraft fitted with equipment to detect the plane’s emergency beacon and another with onboard radar and infrared gear that could detect bodies in the water.

US President Barack Obama today pledged his country’s help in the search for the missing aircraft, which only joined the Air France fleet in April, 2005.

Plane debris found in path Air France jet took

FERNANDO DE NORONHA, Brazil – Brazilian military pilots spotted an airplane seat, an orange buoy, and other debris and signs of fuel in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on Tuesday as they hunted for a missing Air France jet that carried 228 people.

Brazil's Navy said three commercial ships in the area were joining the search and France said it would send a ship capable of deep-water exploration.

The pilots spotted two areas of floating debris — but no signs of life — about 60 kilometers (35 miles) apart, about 410 miles (650 kilometers) beyond the Brazilian archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, near Flight 447's path from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, said Air Force spokesman Jorge Amaral.

Click on the link for the full article

hokie4redskins,

I believe Buffalo was inexperienced pilots in conditions they were not all that familiar with. I'd not want to get on a commuter plane at night in the cold. Not after reading some of airplane pilot forums where they talk about how little training they get under adverse conditions.

Just saw this on Foxnews...

strange coincidence?.....

Air France Bomb Threat Before Flight 447 Crash

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524835,00.html

Brazilian authorities reportedly delayed an Air France flight from Buenos Aires to Paris after the airline received a bomb threat over the phone, just days before the mysterious crash of Flight 447 over the Atlantic Ocean.

According to a Brazilian news report, police and airport officials spent 90 minutes inspecting the threatened plane for explosives on the evening of May 27 at Buenos Aires' Ezeiza Airport, but found nothing.

During the search, passengers were not evacuated from the jet and later safely arrived at their destination in Paris.

Just saw this on Foxnews...

strange coincidence?.....

Air France Bomb Threat Before Flight 447 Crash

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524835,00.html

Brazilian authorities reportedly delayed an Air France flight from Buenos Aires to Paris after the airline received a bomb threat over the phone, just days before the mysterious crash of Flight 447 over the Atlantic Ocean.

According to a Brazilian news report, police and airport officials spent 90 minutes inspecting the threatened plane for explosives on the evening of May 27 at Buenos Aires' Ezeiza Airport, but found nothing.

During the search, passengers were not evacuated from the jet and later safely arrived at their destination in Paris.

How can they officially say this was not terrorism when they had verified bomb threats leading up to the crash?

It sure looks like terrorism should at least be considered in this case.

How can they officially say this was not terrorism when they had verified bomb threats leading up to the crash?

It sure looks like terrorism should at least be considered in this case.

I agree.

I just heard for the first time that there are 2 potential wreckage sites - 35 miles apart. It was suggested that the plane could have split in half causing this. A bomb could explain that, but who knows....

If it was actually terrorism, we would know by now. Somebody would be claiming responsibility.

Don't get terrorism confused with run of the mill violence/crime.

I don't think you are getting the point.

1. They claim terrorism wasnt a likely cause of this disaster

2. They now release info that verified bomb threats on Air france, from brazil took place just days prior to the disaster

There isnt any confusion with "run of the mill" anything?

If it was actually terrorism, we would know by now. Somebody would be claiming responsibility.

Don't get terrorism confused with run of the mill violence/crime.

Agreed. The whole point of terrorism is for us to live in fear that they might blow something else up.

If terrorits blew this plane up, they would have let us all know about it by now......

I don't think you are getting the point.

1. They claim terrorism wasnt a likely cause of this disaster

2. They now release info that verified bomb threats on Air france, from brazil took place just days prior to the disaster

There isnt any confusion with "run of the mill" anything?

Yea I get it. I'm saying if something suspicious did happen on the plane that doesn't automatically mean it should be classified as terrorism.

Yea I get it. I'm saying if something suspicious did happen on the plane that doesn't automatically mean it should be classified as terrorism.

nobody said it should be automatically classified as terrorism. Only that they shouldnt have officially said that terrorism wasnt suspected in this case. When faced with the known facts, it certainly cant be taken off the table at this early stage of the investigation. the bomb threats and the goegraphic specificity alone make that case.

Agreed. The whole point of terrorism is for us to live in fear that they might blow something else up.

If terrorits blew this plane up, they would have let us all know about it by now......

why would you feel that we would already know if it were terrorism? The investigation hasnt even begun?

why would you feel that we would already know if it were terrorism? The investigation hasnt even begun?

Because terrorits do what the do in the hopes that people fear it will happen again. Every time a terrorist attack occurs, a group comes out and gloats that they got "us". That hasn't happened yet. That's why I don't think it's a terrorist attack.

That being said, the investigation could prove that some nutjob did blow up the plane, but that still wouldn't make it a terrorist attack. Semantics, I know, but that's what I do.... :)

Because terrorits do what the do in the hopes that people fear it will happen again. Every time a terrorist attack occurs, a group comes out and gloats that they got "us". That hasn't happened yet. That's why I don't think it's a terrorist attack.

That being said, the investigation could prove that some nutjob did blow up the plane, but that still wouldn't make it a terrorist attack. Semantics, I know, but that's what I do.... :)

That's fair enough. My main concern is that they immediately announced that they didnt suspect any terrorism (I use the definition more loosly, i think) even when they knew there were specific bomb threats towards the airline that had the crash and at the airport where that plane was leaving from.

This article may help clear up some of the confusion about why it's difficult to locate things:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/06/03/france.plane.memorial/index.html

More debris found in Atlantic from Air France plane crash

Two debris fields were found Tuesday, with the wreckage identified as coming from Flight 447.

The Airbus A330 carrying 228 people went down about three hours after beginning what was to have been an 11-hour flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, France.

Among the debris found Wednesday were various objects in a circular 5-kilometer (3-mile) area; one object with a diameter of 7 meters (23 feet); 10 objects, some of which were metallic; and an oil slick that extended as far as 20 kilometers (12 miles), said Brazilian Air Force spokesman Jorge Amaral.

The latest debris was found about 90 kilometers (56 miles) south of Tuesday's discovery, Amaral said. The earlier debris was about 650 kilometers (400 miles) northeast of the Fernando de Noronha Islands, an archipelago 355 kilometers (220 miles) off the northeast coast of Brazil.

Eleven aircraft and five ships are engaged in the search. No survivors are expected, officials have said.

Meanwhile, French officials said Wednesday that they may never find the doomed jets' flight data recorders.

"We need time to reach the recorders," said Paul-Louis Arslanian, head of France's Accident Investigation Bureau.

The recorders give off a locator signal that lasts for up to 30 days, and the French government has sent a research vessel with a deep-diving submersible on board to the area where the plane's debris was found.

French officials said weather conditions at the site -- believed to be a major factor in the crash -- remain "extremely difficult" and the depth of the Atlantic near the sites where wreckage was found is around 7,000 meters (21,000 feet).

"Even in history ... recorders from time to time were found after the 30 days. But I'm not so optimistic," said Arslanian at a press conference Wednesday. "It's not only deep it's also very mountainous at that place of the ocean."

Arslanian said answers on what caused the crash could take a long time.

"It could be long, we can not do with 80 percent understanding," said Arslanian. "This catastrophe is the worst that our country has known in our country's air history."

He said there appeared to be no problems with Flight AF 447 before take-off, but that everything had to be "checked and verified."

French investigators were first mobilized on Monday, with four teams set up to conduct the probe. One has been tasked with recovering the wreck and flight recorders, the second group are looking at the aircraft's maintenance history, the third checking the operations of the plane, and the last group studying the plane's systems and equipment.

The investigation's team leader, Alain Bouillard, said their first preliminary report would be submitted by the end of June.

A memorial for the victims of Flight AF 447, which included 61 people from France, 58 Brazilians, 26 Germans and people from 29 other countries, took place later Wednesday at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Brazil has declared three days of mourning.

The fact of two debris fields 56 miles apart has to prove the plane broke apart in the air, right? That narrows the scenarios of what happened...

No necessarily. The ocean is a powerful force. The plane could have also hit the water with so much force that debris was scattered and varying currents took the debris in to tally diferent directions.

We are sending a remote controlled robot and a submarine which can go 18000 feet deep. Expectations are that the flight recorders could be located at around 10000 feet deep. Experts from Comex said that there is one chance out of 5 to find these flight recorders.

Archived