CARTER 11,960

RANDLE EL 10.819

COOLEY 8,833

PORTIS 8,439

FLETCHER 6,200

THOMAS 6,100

MOSS 4,164

and be ready for next cap rules.

If this preps us for a big move, it will be a big move in 2010. If there is a new CBA and a cap in 2010, we will now have a lot more room to make some moves.

This makes total sense. We freed up a TON of negative cap space to spend on players from the Bizarro World who will actually pay the team to sign them instead of drawing a salary. Bring on Bizarro Plaxico, who I hear is very responsible, but short.

Bizzaro Jake Delhomme did not just throw an interception at 1:11pm.

I liked Jansen for years, but looking at other offseason moves gives a glimpse of the mindset of the FO. The FO gets rid of injury-prone players. See Shawn Springs, Washington, and now Jansen. I think Jansen came into camp with two strikes against him. Even if he stayed healthy for most of last season, he admitted he was not 100%.

I think that during OTA's they saw Heyer improved to the point he was either equal to Jansen or close enough that it made no difference. Cheaper price plus younger age equals better long term possibilities. Or maybe it was the two other guys vying for the RT spot. Whatever it was, Zorn and the coaches saw something that made them feel they should make this move. Plus, like Bubba said, with the $12 million in extra cap, they decided this was the right time. I don't see a major move coming, but it wouldn't be the first time I couldn't figure out what the Skins FO was doing.

On a side note, with all the slamming of the FO for the stupid things they do/did, I would like to point out that, at least in this situation, they tried to do it the right way. Letting any player go is not an easy thing. But releasing the longest tenured Redskin had to be especially difficult. The FO, (or Cerrato/Snyder/Zorn), tried to do it right. No phone call, no impersonal message, they tried to do it the right way by flying Jansen and his wfe in on Redskin One. I don't know if it was Zorn's influence or a coming of age, but kudo's to the team for at least trying to treat Jansen with some dignity in this situation.

Good luck to Jansen in Detroit.

I love what Jansen did in the first several years of his career, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking getting him out of the way is a good thing. Its a big thing and its the right thing for the team. He's injury prone and had that entitled to the starting position attitude. His time on NFLN shoudl grow while his time on the field dwindles. He's pretty good on TV. Good luck JJ

Exactly. As I said in another post, his ankle injury in 2007 gave him an extra year on the team (2008). If he had played a full year in 2007 his skills decline would have been exposed and he would have been gone last spring.

I think a couple of things happened: 1 - The coaches wanted to assess his work in the OTA's. They saw nothing to indicate he was better (or as good) as the other Tackle prospects they have; 2 - His leadership position on the team has deteriorated since the JG II era. Whatever locker room presence he had didn't justify keeping him around even as a backup.

I disagree with this sentiment. Jansen was not "done" at any point in 2007. He is still a mauler is the run game. His problem stems from two MAJOR injuries to his leg in 3 years. He cant side step anymore.

From that standpoint... yeah... he is "done" but not de to lac of skill... its more about career ending injuries and not being able to accept that they have hampered your play...

I disagree with this sentiment. Jansen was not "done" at any point in 2007. He is still a mauler is the run game. His problem stems from two MAJOR injuries to his leg in 3 years. He cant side step anymore.

From that standpoint... yeah... he is "done" but not de to lac of skill... its more about career ending injuries and not being able to accept that they have hampered your play...

You're entitled to your opinion. And I agree, it is due to 3 major injuries. But if you recall, he looked horrible in preseason in 2007. At that time, the staff knew he had hit the wall and needed to be replaced. But they didn't have anyone to step in to play the position.

Then he hurt his ankle in the 1st half of the 1st game of the 2007 season. Last year was a disaster for him. Injuries or whatever. He was bad. And as I mentioned, I think his non-impact as a locker-room-leader made this an easy decision.

According to this chart (if I'm reading it right), Jansen's hit was $3.413M just to keep him around. His 'release fee' is $6.188M.

With the new June 1st rules (i.e. teams can release one or two players before June 1st and split the cap hit over two years), that hit can get spread over two years.

($3.413M + $6.188M)/2 = $4.8M cap hit this year and next year, which is just under $1.4M more than what it would have been just to keep him, however it is $1.613M LESS of a cap hit for next year. We could be making room for a long-term extension.

According to this chart (if I'm reading it right), Jansen's hit was $3.413M just to keep him around. His 'release fee' is $6.188M.

With the new June 1st rules (i.e. teams can release one or two players before June 1st and split the cap hit over two years), that hit can get spread over two years.

($3.413M + $6.188M)/2 = $4.8M cap hit this year and next year, which is just under $1.4M more than what it would have been just to keep him, however it is $1.613M LESS of a cap hit for next year. We could be making room for a long-term extension.

Per warpath ;

Jansen's cap hit was $3.4m plus the $1m roster bonus noted in the other thread making $4.4m.

His release fee is his 2009-2011 prorated signing bonus 3 x $2.063m = $6.188m. That is the full release cost & should not be added to the $3.413m

I believe there is no 'June 1st cut rule' this year to spread the hit over 2 years due to the CBA expiring.

Not being a smart arse, thats just my understanding of it

I think they see enough in Williams and the dude from the Panthers

Yes, and add in the fact that the team is looking to go younger. Zorn said they tried him at Center, but it appears that didn't work out.

I am going to say they want to give some of the young guys a chance. Keeping Jansen takes snaps away from the young guys not just at the RT position.

Someone asked about replacing him. The staff obviously thinks the people on the roster are at no worse in quality than Jansen, but cheaper and younger. So cutting him made sense.

What side of the line does Peppers play on? not to change the subject. We hear about him every year on this board, and I've always wondered that having not seen many carolina games.

I believe that peppers plays LDE, which would be his natural position on our defense.

If there is no 2010 salary cap, the predominant thinking is that there never will be a cap again, so dumping salary for a future cap doesn't make sense. Instead, we should hoard the best players regardless of salary.

My big hope for 2010 is that peppers refuses to report this year unless they agree not to tag him next year. Even though he will be 30 at that time, he does nt have a significant injury history, and there have been multiple LDE's with size/speed play well until age 33-35.

Picture a starting lineup of Peppers, Haynesworth, anybody decent, and Orakpo, with Andre Carter as a primary backup/spot pass-rusher.

Cumon OT is a position where you need quick feet and Jansen in the past 4 years has blown an achilles and had his ankle broken bad enough to have his foot facing in the wrong direction.....love the guy but that stuff hurts the wheels....i wish him well but with three other prospects for the same position it was a numbers game....and they all are younger.

Archived