Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

W.E.: Furor grows over partisan car dealer closings

Kilmer17

Let's start a pool to guess the date that the NYTs or MSNBC picks up this story.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Furor-grows-over-partisan-car-dealer-closings-46261447.html

Evidence appears to be mounting that the Obama administration has systematically targeted for closing Chrysler dealers who contributed to Repubicans. What started earlier this week as mainly a rumbling on the Right side of the Blogosphere has gathered some steam today with revelations that among the dealers being shut down are a GOP congressman and closing of competitors to a dealership chain partly owned by former Clinton White House chief of staff Mack McLarty.

The basic issue raised here is this: How do we account for the fact millions of dollars were contributed to GOP candidates by Chrysler who are being closed by the government, but only one has been found so far that is being closed that contributed to the Obama campaign in 2008?

*Click Link for Rest of Story*

Let's wait for more information.

It sounds really, really dirty.

OTOH, I've also seen stories like this in the past that turn out do be "six degrees of separation" stories.

And I think it's a pretty safe bet that we're going to be hearing more about it.

Again, another example of Republicans whining about getting what they wanted. They wanted these car dealerships and the big three to go bankrupt and out of business. They didn't want the government stepping in. Now, they're upset that the government isn't stepping in to save their businesses? :doh:

Ain't I a stinker! That's some good spin right there I tell you. If the story's assumptions are true it is a pretty slimy thing.

Again, another example of Republicans whining about getting what they wanted. They wanted these car dealerships and the big three to go bankrupt and out of business. They didn't want the government stepping in. Now, they're upset that the government isn't stepping in to save their businesses? :doh:

Ain't I a stinker! That's some good spin right there I tell you. If the story's assumptions are true it is a pretty slimy thing.

:hysterical:

This is one of those situations where it looks dirty.

Even if it isn't you shouldn't put yourself in this position.

I hope it wasn't Rahm or some Appointee doing this, but financial factors based on income vs. liability.

This is exactly the same as the Bush firings that have hearings still going on?

It'd be tough proving it. I would not doubt even slightly that a politician will help his friends, but with over 1000 dealerships closing and only a handful with possible dirty dealing, I doubt there's a massive conspiracy.

This will be interesting how it plays out.

~Bang

It'd be tough proving it. I would not doubt even slightly that a politician will help his friends, but with over 1000 dealerships closing and only a handful with possible dirty dealing, I doubt there's a massive conspiracy.

This will be interesting how it plays out.

~Bang

Yeah, but I also remember those reports claiming that when the White House was handing out no-bid contracts for the reconstruction in Iraq, that bidding contractors claimed that part of the bidding process involved the bidders being asked about their company's policies on Roe v. Wade.

(Which still sounds, to me, to be too stupidly partisan for even the Bush White House.)

Something like this can get a lot of traction.

But, we have seen cases, previously, where the news comes out 3-4 days later that makes almost all of us go "so that's the rest of the story".

I think that it's unlikely to be a massive nationwide conspiracy.

I think it's likely that:

(1) A majority of car dealership owners who are politically active donate to Republicans.

(2) A few well-connected Democratic donors called in favors to avoid landing on the chopping block e.g. the Clinton-connected Arkansas dealer.

(1) A majority of car dealership owners who are politically active donate to Republicans.

(2) A few well-connected Democratic donors called in favors to avoid landing on the chopping block e.g. the Clinton-connected Arkansas dealer.

Most likely this

Car dealers in many cases (trying not to sterotype here) are in the good ol' boy network and own these things for generations

There are obviously exceptions. More then likely these are big R donors for the most part

The problem I have with the article is that the most damning quote and biggest allegation comes from a lawyer who is paid by dealerships that are being closed. I am not going to take him for his word, sorry.

Clearly, it is something that needs to be investigated and flushed out but I am skeptical right now.

This is correct. The vast majority of car dealership owners contribute to Republicans, so there's no evidence that the percentage of dealers being closed that are run by those who contributed to the GOP are any different than those not being closed.

Once again, 538.com provides the statistical proof that this is a manufactured and bogus story:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/05/news-flash-car-dealers-are-republicans.html

Overall, 88 percent of the contributions from car dealers went to Republican candidates and just 12 percent to Democratic candidates. By comparison, the list of dealers on Doug Ross's list (which I haven't vetted, but I assume is fine) gave 92 percent of their money to Republicans -- not really a significant difference.

There's no conspiracy here, folks -- just some bad math.

It shouldn't be any surprise, by the way, that car dealers tend to vote -- and donate -- Republican. They are usually male, they are usually older (you don't own an auto dealership in your 20s), and they have obvious reasons to be pro-business, pro-tax cut, anti-green energy and anti-labor. Car dealerships need quite a bit of space and will tend to be located in suburban or rural areas. I can't think of too many other occupations that are more natural fits for the Republican Party. Unfortunately, while we are still a nation of drivers, we are not a nation of dealers.

This is correct. The vast majority of car dealership owners contribute to Republicans, so there's no evidence that the percentage of dealers being closed that are run by those who contributed to the GOP are any different than those not being closed.

Once again, 538.com provides the statistical proof that this is a manufactured and bogus story:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/05/news-flash-car-dealers-are-republicans.html

Is there currently a better blog that 538? I love that site.

Yeah, but I also remember those reports claiming that when the White House was handing out no-bid contracts for the reconstruction in Iraq, that bidding contractors claimed that part of the bidding process involved the bidders being asked about their company's policies on Roe v. Wade.

(Which still sounds, to me, to be too stupidly partisan for even the Bush White House.)

Something like this can get a lot of traction.

But, we have seen cases, previously, where the news comes out 3-4 days later that makes almost all of us go "so that's the rest of the story".

Well, all you have to do is look at some of the dealers closing to get a whiff of non-uniform reasoning. Some of the top performing ($$ making) dealers are closing, while factory dealers are staying open. Unions wouldn't have anything to do with that, would they?

Well, all you have to do is look at some of the dealers closing to get a whiff of non-uniform reasoning. Some of the top performing ($$ making) dealers are closing, while factory dealers are staying open. Unions wouldn't have anything to do with that, would they?

Not questioning you - just wondering if you have a link to the performance numbers for the closed plants you are referencing. I know the article has a quote from a lawyer who says this, but I have not seen any numbers yet.

There will be anectdotal evidence offered by both sides.

It needs to be examined. If the Obama administration purposefully went after GOP favored dealers and protected DEM favored dealers, the **** BETTER hit the fan.

If the opposite had occured a year ago, this would have been the lead in the NYTs and left wing media.

It needs to be examined. If the Obama administration purposefully went after GOP favored dealers and protected DEM favored dealers, the **** BETTER hit the fan.

If the opposite had occured a year ago, this would have been the lead in the NYTs and left wing media.

Observing that there were allegations, at least, that this did occur a few years ago. With the awarding of contracts in Iraq.

I never saw any proof, but the allegations were made.

Observing that there were allegations, at least, that this did occur a few years ago. With the awarding of contracts in Iraq.

I never saw any proof, but the allegations were made.

And it was covered by all the major networks. And became a big story.

So much for conservatives being economic darwinists. If these dealerships can't make it under their own steam then let them die.

Wah! Wah! Don't pass the stimulus bill these car companies and their dealers all deserve to die if they aren't supported by the public! Wah! Wah! Wait a minute! The car dealerships are Republican and we're not just saving filthy democratic unions! Save the Republican Car Dealerships! Wah! Wah! It's unAmerican for the government not to be propping up Republican Car Dealerships! Wahhhh!!!

So much for conservatives being economic darwinists. If these dealerships can't make it under their own steam then let them die.

Wah! Wah! Don't pass the stimulus bill these car companies and their dealers all deserve to die if they aren't supported by the public! Wah! Wah! Wait a minute! The car dealerships are Republican and we're not just saving filthy democratic unions! Save the Republican Car Dealerships! Wah! Wah! It's unAmerican for the government not to be propping up Republican Car Dealerships! Wahhhh!!!

Observing that I haven't seen anything that says these dealerships were going out of business because they were broke.

The (admittedly slanted) story implies that they're being ordered closed.

Is the fivethirtyeight.com analysis of the situation anecdotal information to you?

They clearly showed that basically ALL car dealers contribute to Republicans not Democrats. There would be no way to close Democratic-supporting car dealerships because they simply do not exist.

Rush and the boys are going to run with this and add it to the long lost of grievances, but it appears to be total :pooh:

Observing that I haven't seen anything that says these dealerships were going out of business because they were broke.

The (admittedly slanted) story implies that they're being ordered closed.

Shhh... I am having fun

Why do you think they're being ordered to close? Because not enough of these cars are being sold and they are a drain on the manufacturer

Archived