Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News: Obama to nominate Sotomayor for SCOTUS

Burgundy Burner

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_on_go_su_co/us_obama_supreme_court

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama tapped federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, officials said, making her the first Hispanic in history picked to wear the robes of a justice.

If confirmed by the Senate, Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter. Two officials described Obama's decision on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement had been made.

More at the above link.

Freerepublic is divided on the nomination. There are several knee-jerk "filibuster the ugly leftist" reactions. But at least one poster is thrilled because she's a Type 1 diabetic and therefore likely to die years earlier than the Bush justices.:doh:

Put her in or keep her out, not much difference. Just because you "think" a SCOTUS justice is "Liberal" or "Conservative" when they are nominated does not mean that their work on the Supreme court will match the expectations

Some may remember that David Souter was supposed to be Conservative when Bush41 nominated him. With some justice, this nominee from a Democrat president will be more conservative than Obama expects, just as Souter has been more Liberal than Bush41 expected.

I don't know anything about her either. Latino women in general are a pretty conservative group, politically speaking. I can vouch for this because I'm married to one. :)

My wife and mother in law are both latino women and I dont know where you get this conservative view...lol They are both quite liberal and very anti-conservative. Being the country boy republican in the family makes for some interesting political discussions!

Can't support her. Totally looks like my former sister-in-law, and she was from the debil!

As a result, I will be fillablustering (the act of, as a citizen, being completely powerless to do anything about a political situation -- and therefore being left with such options as debating the meaningless merits of an appointee or reading out of a telephone book). :silly:

Its his prerogative so let it be. Not sure how Congress got all picky about it.
Congress started getting really picky about it after the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade ... and especially after Reagan turned "liberal judge" into a dirty word.

This is what has a lot of my conservative friends' panties in a twist: http://is.gd/EVtG

That bothers me too, alot.

She basically is saying, to hell with checks and balences, in reality judges have the power to make laws, and that is not the type of mentality you want on the top court.

I can't see why Republicans would put up more than token resistance (unless something truly shocking is revealed). It's not like shooting her down, even if they could, would prevent Obama from nominating another liberal justice. It's his prerogative, and the next one could easily be much worse, from their point of view.

That's not even taking into account the political difficulty of going after the first Hispanic nominee at a time when the Hispanic vote is becoming increasingly important.

That bothers me too, alot.

She basically is saying, to hell with checks and balences, in reality judges have the power to make laws, and that is not the type of mentality you want on the top court.

I'm bothered by ANY judge (conservative or liberal) that thinks they have the right to make laws. Their job is ONLY to interpret the law.

I'm also bothered that it was somehow considered OK for the Dems to block Bush's Hispanic Nominee, but NOW it's suddenly ridiculous that the Reps would consider complaining about Obama's Hispanic Nominee.

I'm also bothered that it was somehow considered OK for the Dems to block Bush's Hispanic Nominee, but NOW it's suddenly ridiculous that the Reps would consider complaining about Obama's Hispanic Nominee.

It's not that it's ridiculous. It's just politically sensitive. That's reality.

I don't know anything about her.

The GOP needs to be careful here if they want to oppose her. Which is totally within their right. But its a tough one.

Wait, you "don't know anything about her" but yet you're saying the GOP best not oppose her? :doh: That was unintentionally funny.

Just giving you some good natured grief. I don't think it's estimated that the Republicans will stand in the way of this nomination.

Now, the wretched part of the process begins. The opposing side will look for the worst decision she ever made and spin it in the worst light and try to define her through this one act igore her history.

Both parties do this and it stinks when they do. They create cartoons of the nominees and then ask you to judge them based on the warped info.

Congress started getting really picky about it after the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade ... and especially after Reagan turned "liberal judge" into a dirty word.

So the Justices really brought it on themselves thru judicial activism?

:halo:

Now, the wretched part of the process begins. The opposing side will look for the worst decision she ever made and spin it in the worst light and try to define her through this one act igore her history.

Both parties do this and it stinks when they do. They create cartoons of the nominees and then ask you to judge them based on the warped info.

Can anything top (or get lower) then Ted Kennedy chastising Clarence Thomas about his alleged treatment of women? I think not.

Wait, you "don't know anything about her" but yet you're saying the GOP best not oppose her? :doh: That was unintentionally funny.

Just giving you some good natured grief. I don't think it's estimated that the Republicans will stand in the way of this nomination.

I'm saying that in a POLITICAL sense. The GOP needs to be careful.

Why? Because even if 99% of Latinos don't know her. If they see the GOP blocking her. That's is all that matters....in a Political sense.

That's why I didn't give my personal opinion on her. Because like almost everybody here. I don't know her from Eve.

Archived