Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post a strip from your favorite comics

Rdskn4Lyf21

Back in the late 70s Doonesbury did a thing about Steroids in football, and used our beloved Redskins as the scapegoats. The team hired Duke as a "special trainer". These ran in July of 1978

db780224.gif

db780719.gif

db780720.gif

db780721.gif

db780722.gif

Fun stuff. I can't find the rest of it, but Duke eventually gets caught because "lava Lava" the star DT gets confused when Duke asks him to make 16 tackles in a game (because he's gambling, of course), and he makes 60.

For those not familiar with the glory days of this strip,, Uncle Duke is one of the best characters in comics. He's a combination of Hunter S Thompson, G. Gordon Liddy, and Timothy Leary. He's completely badass.

~Bang

Fun stuff. I can't find the rest of it, but Duke eventually gets caught because "lava Lava" the star DT gets confused when Duke asks him to make 16 tackles in a game (because he's gambling, of course), and he makes 60.

For those not familiar with the glory days of this strip,, Uncle Duke is one of the best characters in comics. He's a combination of Hunter S Thompson, G. Gordon Liddy, and Timothy Leary. He's completely badass.

~Bang

Remembering a phone conversation between Coach Duke and the owner (Williams, I think, at the time), where Coach Duke is pleading with the owner to do whatever it takes to sign Lava Lava.

Owner: How badly do you want this player?

Duke: I would trade my first born for him.

Owner: Don't. I saw what it did to Allen's family.

Also a bit of trivia about the strip.

The character "B. D." was created when Trudeau was drawing comics for the Yale student newspaper. He was introduced because Zonker (pot smoking, anti-war hippie) got assigned BD (pro-war, football QB, ROTC member) as a roommate. That was why BD always wore his football helmet. (Which, in those days, had a "Y" on it.)

At the time the character BD was created, the QB for the Yale football team was Brian Dowling. Who was a backup QB for a brief time for the Redskins.

----------

Remembering one strip from those football-playing days: The scene is a football huddle. A bunch of butts in a circle, with voices coming out of the middle.

First frame:

"All right. Let's have a rundown of that defense they just put in."

Second frame:

"The average weight is 350 lbs"

"The center has one eye and steel teeth"

"The LB killed three backs last year"

Third frame:

No voices at all

Fourth frame:

"All right. This next plays gonna be a handoff."

Archived