Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Iran blocks Facebook ahead of presidential election

BigMike619

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/23/iran.elections.facebook/index.html

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- The Iranian government has blocked access to the social networking site Facebook amid political jockeying for the June 12 presidential elections, according to the semi-official Iranian Labour News Agency.

Reformist candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi -- a former prime minister considered a threat to current hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad -- created a Facebook page for his campaign that has more than 5,000 supporters on the site.

Those attempting to visit Facebook received a message in Farsi saying, "Access to this site is not possible," according to CNN personnel in Tehran.

ILNA reported the Masadiq Committee, made up of representatives from Iran's intelligence ministry, judiciary and others had ordered the action.

After a few hours, the blockage was lifted, but was then reinstated, ILNA said. No reason was given for the block.

"We are disappointed to learn of reports that users in Iran may not have access to Facebook, especially at a time when voters are turning to the Internet as a source of information about election candidates and their positions," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.

I thought of the "i hate twitter" thread when I read this. Its obvious that it is influential and does a lot.

Not surprised at all. These clowns are not scared for the world to know that they do not value freedom for their people.

Did you know that the Clash song "Rock the Casbah" is about the ban on rock music that Iran imposed in the 80s? Thank god we don't live there.

I thought of the "i hate twitter" thread when I read this. Its obvious that it is influential and does a lot.

My wife does Facebook, which makes me wanna vomit in a way, but she really seems to enjoy it so I don't bother her about it. Besides, this is my electronic crack; what kind of hypocrite would I be to criticize her? If she twitters, it's on, though.

OK, so what this means is that any person who tries to look up Candidate X's Facebook page gets a web page that says "The people who are in charge of your country right now don't want you to see what this person has to say".

This might help the guy.

OK, so what this means is that any person who tries to look up Candidate X's Facebook page gets a web page that says "The people who are in charge of your country right now don't want you to see what this person has to say".

This might help the guy.

if it does, they'll just outlaw his party like they did in the last election.

~Bang

Archived