Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tribute to my Dad and all the other veterans who have served

Mickalino

This is a tribute to all who have served in the Military, to many who gave their lives. And to people like my Dad, who, tho they survived the war, risked their lives in great danger. My Dad was a war veteran who spent many sleepless nights, shivering while bombs dropped all around him. And ironically, he died on Memorial Day weekend, 2 years ago today (from cancer). Hearing Taps played at his military funeral is something I'll never forget.

RIP

Both my grandfathers served in the Korean War (one was even at Cho Sun reservoir) and my step-father served on the DMZ in the 70s. I'm grateful to all three for preserving our freedom and protecting our country's interests, as well as to all the other servicemen and women who have and are currently doing the same for all of us.

I was going to to post this on Monday morning, but this is a good time to do it here...

It was raining "cats and dogs" and I was late for physical training. Traffic was backed up at Fort Campbell, Ky., and was moving way too slowly. I was probably going to be late and I was growing more and more impatient. The pace slowed almost to a standstill as I passed Memorial Grove, the site built to honor the soldiers who died in the Gander airplane crash, the worst redeployment accident in the history of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).

Because it was close to Memorial Day, a small American flag had been placed in the ground next to each soldier's memorial plaque. My concern at the time, however, was getting past the bottleneck, getting out of the rain and getting to PT on time.

All of a sudden, infuriatingly, just as the traffic was getting started again, the car in front of me stopped. A soldier, a private of course, jumped out in the pouring rain and ran over toward the grove. I couldn't believe it! This knucklehead was holding up everyone for who knows what kind of prank. Horns were honking. I waited to see the butt-chewing that I wanted him to get for making me late.

He was getting soaked to the skin. His BDUs were plastered to his frame. I watched-as he ran up to one of the memorial plaques, picked up the small American flag that had fallen to the ground in the wind and the rain, and set it upright again. Then, slowly, he came to attention, saluted the small flag, ran back to his car, and drove off.

I'll never forget that incident. That soldier, whose name I will never know, taught me more about duty, honor, and respect than a hundred books or a thousand lectures. That simple salute -- that single act of honoring his fallen brother and his flag -- encapsulated all the Army values in one gesture for me. It said, "I will never forget. I will keep the faith. I will finish the mission. I am an American soldier." I thank God for examples like that. And on this Memorial Day, I will remember all those who paid the ultimate price for my freedom, and one Army Private, soaked to the skin, who honored them.

May you and your families have a special time this weekend to remember all those who have given so much of themselves for each of us.

Capt. John Rasmussen from Eagle Base, Bosnia - May 22, 2002.

To my father - I celebrate your memory and dedicated service to our country on this special day.

This is a tribute to all who have served in the Military, to many who gave their lives. And to people like my Dad, who, tho they survived the war, risked their lives in great danger. My Dad was a war veteran who spent many sleepless nights, shivering while bombs dropped all around him. And ironically, he died on Memorial Day weekend, 2 years ago today (from cancer). Hearing Taps played at his military funeral is something I'll never forget.

RIP

Mick, my father also served in Vietnam and passed (due to Agent Orange) on Memorial Day 2007. He was only 61 and had many good years ahead of him. I appreciate what he, and all Veterans did for this country.

Miss ya dad.

As I sit here and enjoy the freedoms that have been afforded to me by the soldiers that have given their lives for my freedom I thank you. I only hope that it will continue for many more centuries.

Thank you all who have served and especially the ones who have died We would not be here in the free world without you.

"Every cold night when I'm in bed I say out loud, Thank God I am not in Bastogne"..

Great line from a BOB survivor...chilling(no pun intended) what those WW2 guys from Easy Company went through to hold the lines against the Germans.

Just to clarify something...

Memorial Day is for honoring those who have died during military service. Veteran's Day is for honoring those who have served in the US Armed Forces.

We should not need a day telling us to honor those who have died, served or are currently serving. We should do it all the time instead of once a year.

We should not need a day telling us to honor those who have died, served or are currently serving. We should do it all the time instead of once a year.

I was going to say something along those lines when these threads started.

Your point is well taken.

Thanks for saying it for me!

Sure...

But I am talking about meanings behind the official holidays...

This is accurate.

But I think it's a bit worse that the day became an occasion for another summer barbecue. That bothers me worse than confusing the holidays' purposes.

This is accurate.

But I think it's a bit worse that the day became an occasion for another summer barbecue. That bothers me worse than confusing the holidays' purposes.

Yes. The unofficial first day of summer-type activities is what most people think when they hear Memorial Day mentioned.

Archived