Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NASCAR gave Carl Long the death sentence

SC_RedskinsFan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/9600034/How-small-things-make-a-difference-in-NASCAR

CONCORD, N.C. - Carl Long is within a hair of losing his lifelong passion — racing.

When Long went to a backup engine for last weekend's Sprint Showdown, NASCAR officials discovered his primary engine was larger than the allowable 358.000 cubic inch displacement. Long's engine measured 358.170.

One motor man described the difference as "smaller than a hair."

If Long had known his engine was illegal, he could have just packed up, gone home and avoided the death sentence handed down by NASCAR — a record 12-race suspension, 200 point fine and a $200,000 fine for crew chief Charles Swing.

A source familiar with the powerplant, a second-hand engine that was originally built by Ernie Elliott for Chip Ganassi Racing when its teams ran Dodges, said it had been a former restrictor plate engine that had also been used for testing and ARCA competition. The source added, "It's .17 of a cubic inch. It's not one cubic inch. It's not one horsepower. It's nothing unless they've got something against Carl Long."

We're not talking about an owner who won five Cup championships such as Junior Johnson. We're talking about Carl Long. Long is a Nationwide Series crewman during the day, a spotter on some weekends but more importantly a 41-year-old part time racer who refuses to stop chasing a dream. The former track champion at South Boston and Orange County Speedways worked as a crew chief for Eric McClure in Nationwide Series last season, has spotted for a variety of drivers, has a commercial driver's license in case he has to fill in for the transporter driver and is currently a mechanic for the No. 24 Front Row Motorsports team. In the last three years, the annual combined salaries for Long and wife Danielle have not exceeded $30,000.

Long isn't in the garage for the money. He simply wants to race. He hopes the National Stock Car Racing Commission shows him "leniency."

"I can't afford to pay the fine," Long said while standing in the Nationwide Series garage. "My NASCAR career is over." Since 2000, Long has competed in 23 Cup races. The last race he qualified for was Bristol in August 2006. This season, Long tried to qualify for the Daytona 500. He gave it another shot last week for the Sprint Showdown in the hopes that the prize money would enable him to buy tires to qualify for the Coca-Cola 600 field. The $5,000 he earned for last place in the Showdown didn't cover his initial investment of $16,000.

Pemberton took offense when asked if Long could avoid the $200,000 fine by relinquishing his NASCAR license.

"We don't fine people to run them off," Pemberton said. "We fine them for infractions. Whether you're a crew chief, a car owner or anything like that. This is in line with things that we've done. We have to take our emotions out of it. Everyone in this garage area — bar none — understands the importance of running the garage area and keeping a level playing field." And right now, nobody is more aware of that than Carl Long.

This seems like NASCAR just picked a little guy to make an example out of who cannot afford to fight them. Would Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr, Kyle Busch, JJ, or Tony Stewart have gotten the same punishment? NO.

Remember last year when JGR Nationwide race (no offense to JGR fans i am just using an example) team got caught using magnets to hide HP? What happened to them was nothing compared to this. I am outraged at NASCAR right now.

This along with their drug testing policy which they will not tell anybody what is banned, or what Mayfield even popped for. I think it is time for a drivers union. Or maybe it is time for fans to show their anger by not going to the races, or watching them on tv. Somebody has to keep NASCAR in check.

I agree with you SC. I don't think that any of the big name teams or drivers would have had this big of a fine slapped on them. I understand that "rules are rules" but this is ridiculous. NASCAR is only interested in keeping the popular drivers in the race so the fans come in and spend their money.

I wish there were a drivers' union. France and Helton are in serious need of a legal beatdown. It was a non-points race and it was only .17 cu, big freakin' deal. Carl Long needs to appeal to the National Stock Car Racing Commission. They got Robby Gordon off the hook last year.

That seems a little crazy! I know a rule is a rule, but .17 bigger? Would something like that even make a difference? I agree that NASCAR seems to have it in for the "little guy". I'd be interesting if they had a Driver's Union so they could appeal stuff like this. The Mayfield situation is another example, why won't you say what he tested positive for? I don't see what the big deal is. NASCAR needs a shot of reality...

i wonder what would happen if they got a driver's union. you think they would do something as good as kick toyota out of nascar and make it an all AMERICAN car sport again?

No, I don't see them kicking Toyota out, but they'll stick up for the drivers when rediculous penalties are handed out. They'd make NASCAR make public what they're testing for in the drug tests.

No, I don't see them kicking Toyota out, but they'll stick up for the drivers when rediculous penalties are handed out. They'd make NASCAR make public what they're testing for in the drug tests.

And not let them change the rules whenever it is convenient for them, mid season, or mid race.

That seems a little crazy! I know a rule is a rule, but .17 bigger? Would something like that even make a difference? I agree that NASCAR seems to have it in for the "little guy". I'd be interesting if they had a Driver's Union so they could appeal stuff like this. The Mayfield situation is another example, why won't you say what he tested positive for? I don't see what the big deal is. NASCAR needs a shot of reality...

Certainly rules are rules, but the punishment is definitely extreme for the infraction.

Certainly rules are rules, but the punishment is definitely extreme for the infraction.

Yeah I agree. Seems a little harsh to penalize him 200 points and fine him $200,000. Other drivers get less than that for wrecking other drivers and those consequences could be alot worse than a driver with a bigger engine that is almost impossible to notice.

Actually, the fine they gave Long and points deduction wasn't too far off from the one they gave Robby Gordon.

But yeah, I think Nascar is getting a little full of themselves, here. I mean, how do you not tell a guy what he tested positive for, until you are forced to? And Mayfield hired Bill Diehl. That guy doesn't mess around. If nothing else, it will force Nascar to change the way they handle the drug testing program.

In my opinion, this is not the right time to be alienating your fans, Nascar. You need them now more than ever. Get it together, guys!

Yeah I agree. Seems a little harsh to penalize him 200 points and fine him $200,000. Other drivers get less than that for wrecking other drivers and those consequences could be alot worse than a driver with a bigger engine that is almost impossible to notice.

The thing that really bothers me is this was an accident, because he could have left the track and not had anything tested. But Carl stayed, and NASCAR burned him. Who honestly believes that Carl tried to pull a fast one on NASCAR?

If this would have happened to HMS, JGR, Roush, RCR, or any other big name teams it would have been swept under the rug. But NASCAR making an "example" out of a nobody seemed like a no brainer for them.

The thing that really bothers me is this was an accident, because he could have left the track and not had anything tested. But Carl stayed, and NASCAR burned him. Who honestly believes that Carl tried to pull a fast one on NASCAR?

If this would have happened to HMS, JGR, Roush, RCR, or any other big name teams it would have been swept under the rug. But NASCAR making an "example" out of a nobody seemed like a no brainer for them.

Yeah that's true, plus the fact that it wasn't even a points race so why does it even matter? This shouldn't even be a big deal!

I don't know why NASCAR needs a drug testing program anyway, except for illegal substances. I am not so sure that a guy on steroids would be better than a guy not on steroids when it comes to driving. If anything, they would just cause more accidents because of roid rage ols

They funny thing about the points deal is I bet he hasn't even earned that many all year.:D...Probably hasn't earned $200,000 in prize money, either. And I seriously believe the guy could have had another HP or two and it wouldn't have made any difference. The guy is terrible. And like another poster stated, it was a "non-points" event where the infraction took place.

They funny thing about the points deal is I bet he hasn't even earned that many all year.:D...Probably hasn't earned $200,000 in prize money, either. And I seriously believe the guy could have had another HP or two and it wouldn't have made any difference. The guy is terrible. And like another poster stated, it was a "non-points" event where the infraction took place.

He has not earned any points this year, so he is at -200 now. The article says that his wife and him earned $30,000 last year together. It costed him $16,000 to run last saturday and he won $5,000. He is just a regular guy trying to race, and NASCAR just gave him the big **** you.

Nascar has said that the CoT is not to be messed with and they have been consistent with fines and penalties. To get the message across, they also said that the fines and penalties would increase accordingly.

I don't like what has happened either, but Carl Long has only himself to blame.

Nascar has said that the CoT is not to be messed with and they have been consistent with fines and penalties. To get the message across, they also said that the fines and penalties would increase accordingly.

I don't like what has happened either, but Carl Long has only himself to blame.

When they put the hammer down on Robbie Gordon it was overturned, and if this also gets overturned, which may or may not happen, what does that tell you about their rules and how they choose to enforce them? I cannot wait till a big driver screws up now. $300,000 16 race suspension and 300 points? That will never happen. To much $$$$$ at stake. They cannot suspend a big name for that long. Not with the trouble NASCAR is having with sponsers as it is.

On another note i have been thinking about a drivers union. I really think it would be a great idea. Drivers need somebody to stickup for them against the NASCAR machine. Im sure NASCAR would not agree with me but the drivers would. An owner can only do so much since they are under the same rules as the drivers.

We need change. :silly:

Archived