Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Country's Worst Drivers

MattFancy

Okay. I was about to go off on how they had never been to Utah,but read this first.

GMAC Insurance has released the results of its National Drivers Test for 2009. The test, which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, was given to more than 5,000 drivers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia -- and New Yorkers finished last. Last year's loser, New Jersey, improved its score just enough to leap over New York. Hawaii, California and Georgia rounded out the bottom five. daho and Wisconsin drivers tied for the highest average score, with an 80.6.

The point of the test, of course, is not just to confirm what anyone who's tried to merge onto the Thruway already knew. It's to measure how much we know about safe driving. And the news isn't good.

Oh they know here,but actually doing so is another matter entirely. :doh: ;)

90% for me on the test.

missed the "safe driving distance" question... if 3 seconds is safe, wouldn't 10 seconds also be safe? also, seconds don't measure distance. flawed question. missed another random one too.

36, 40, 44

Maybe the numbers have changed, because the list I see has Virginia @ 21 not 36. I think that number is skewed and they should separate northern Virginia from the rest of the state, because people around here drive like crap.

Naw, VA drivers suck bad

I lived in both places for a while, and I am going to go with Maryland being worse, but not by a whole lot. Both states have some very bad drivers.

I have a pretty clean driving record, and my insurance rate skyrocketed when I moved to Maryland a few years ago. I was not very pleased.

90% for me on the test.

missed the "safe driving distance" question... if 3 seconds is safe, wouldn't 10 seconds also be safe? also, seconds don't measure distance. flawed question. missed another random one too.

They use seconds to measure the distance between two vehicles traveling about the same speed.

if you are traveling 10 seconds behind a vehicle, going 60 miles per hour, with 5,280 feet in a mile, traveling a mile per minute, you are traveling 1/6 of a mile behind the car in front of you, giving you 880 feet between you and the car in front of you.

3 seconds in the well known general rule of thumb as the minimum safe distance to travel behind another vehicle, this is based on the drivers ability to recognize a situation and react accordingly, and the distance the car will travel going at a certain speed, with the 3 second cushion.

at 50mph it is 3 seconds, at 60mph it is about 3.5 seconds.

The test may not be definitive in deciding the actual worst drivers, but I'll have to agree with the results for 1st and 2nd worst. I'm from Hampton Roads and have lived in all across the country. The drivers around here are much worse than anywhere else I've seen. You've got the usual pokey and inconsiderate stuff like everywhere, but here, you've also got massive immigrant populations who are (for the most part) driving illegally, and not doing a very good job of it. PLUS, you've got the arrogant, the powerful, and the douchbag guido drivers around here in spades.

It all makes for a horrible situation, especially in Staten Island where I live with, literally third world roads that are an abomination and a very real hazard to your car's safety.

They use seconds to measure the distance between two vehicles traveling about the same speed.

if you are traveling 10 seconds behind a vehicle, going 60 miles per hour, with 5,280 feet in a mile, traveling a mile per minute, you are traveling 1/6 of a mile behind the car in front of you, giving you 880 feet between you and the car in front of you.

3 seconds in the well known general rule of thumb as the minimum safe distance to travel behind another vehicle, this is based on the drivers ability to recognize a situation and react accordingly, and the distance the car will travel going at a certain speed, with the 3 second cushion.

at 50mph it is 3 seconds, at 60mph it is about 3.5 seconds.

understand the general concept and it's popular usage, but you cannot measure distance with units of time. i was taught using car lengths... equally vague, of course. i've never heard of the well known rule of 3 seconds though. but if 3 seconds is safe, isn't 10 seconds even safer, let alone the primo safety afforded by 20 seconds?

still a dumb question.

Bad drivers cannot be determined by a written test.

Agreed. There's knowing the rules' date=' and then there's giving a **** about following them.

If there was some way to objectively measure the actual incidence rate of insanely dangerous driver behavior, the list would look a bit different. You couldn't use accident stats for it though, because places with crazy drivers probably also tend to be places where folks are better at [i']looking out for [/i]crazy drivers.

understand the general concept and it's popular usage, but you cannot measure distance with units of time.

Of course you can! The meter is officially defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second. :D

Archived