Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Yorker: Dont! (Patience and Success)

buenosdiaz

What sport do our best athletes play?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What sport do our best athletes play?

• Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Football
    • Other

cuz im kind of bored and thought it was pretty interesting

anyways its a really long article so i'll give you a summary of it.

Basically a psychologist took in a bunch of children and put each one at a time in a room with a marshmallow. The child was told that he/she could wait until the person came back and if they didnt eat the marshmallow they would be rewarded with another one. Some of the subjects were able to wait it out while others decided to eat the marshmallow without waiting for the reward.

While thats interesting the more interesting part is that upon keeping track of the subjects those that expressed patience and were able to divert their attention scored markedly higher on the SAT than their counterparts who did not. It even proved to be a more accurate indicator of academic success than IQ tests.

They recently tested this patience as adults and found that those who were patient as children had a better ability to control how their mind worked and took in orders. The groups were given laptops with 4 words 2 in red and 2 in blue. They were told to forget the words in blue (or red cant remember ;)) and then given random words and asked if those were the words they were given. Those that at an early age showed the ability to be patient, divert their attention from the marshmallow) were less likely to recognize the word they were told to forget.

Other than the science of the article I think it says a lot for parenting, educating, and the importance of temperance and its link to excelling.

Let me know what you guys think of the article or what ive summarized

here is the link

http://www.newyorker.com/services/referral?messageKey=f14a104a5d81c57339b4fda3cf4707b7

I think the marshmallow thing is lame. What if the kids were hungry? If Iwas starving and someone put food in front of me, it would be hard not to eat right away. But if I wasn't hungry, I would be less tempted to eat right away. It doesn't say anything in there about that lol.

But overall I think its true. If you are more patient, you don't rush to judegements or the first thing that comes along. You take time to examine everything and find the best decision. The study makes sense to me

I think the marshmallow thing is lame. What if the kids were hungry? If Iwas starving and someone put food in front of me, it would be hard not to eat right away. But if I wasn't hungry, I would be less tempted to eat right away. It doesn't say anything in there about that lol.

But overall I think its true. If you are more patient, you don't rush to judegements or the first thing that comes along. You take time to examine everything and find the best decision. The study makes sense to me

lol im pretty sure it was controlled for this

also to note...he found that in lower income communities the impulsiveness of the children was much higher than their counterparts from more affluent neighborhoods

however when the kids were instructed to divert their attention from the marshmallow many more were able to wait out the time until he came back

that is a pretty interesting part of the article IMO

he also noted that it was impossible to check if this control over their impulsiveness carried with them outside of the expiremental setting

Impulsiveness is a poor choice of words. Think about it, if there isn't much food on the table, you take what you can get right away. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

However, if you are wealthy and can depend on a consistent supply of food, then you are able to parlay that into an investment.

It's the way the world works.

Impulsiveness is a poor choice of words. Think about it, if there isn't much food on the table, you take what you can get right away. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

However, if you are wealthy and can depend on a consistent supply of food, then you are able to parlay that into an investment.

It's the way the world works.

but its a controlled setting testing brain impulses...

the argument is not do people lacking something react more impulsively than others

it is in a controlled setting some peoples brain functionality (across socioeconomic backgrounds in the article even brother and sister) is wired to not want to wait things out and that this is reflected in how as adults and young adults the person will react to academic and even professional settings

I think alot of it has to do with how they were raised and how their parents act around them. My dad is the complete opposite of an impulse shopper, it took him a year to decide on which HDTV he was going to buy. He always researches anything before he buys it. So that has lead to me being more patient about some things, there are numerous times where I buy on impulse, but for major things I make sure I know everything about it before I buy it.

Not sure why the result surprises anyone

Patience comes from reasoning

Accepting delayed gratification in a higher measure is reasonable if applied.

How many things that you are impatient with do you dissect in your mind at the time?

Archived