Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My good friend was killed by an elderly driver yesterday afternoon(UPDATE!!!)

SolidSnake84

This is not a cry for attention or a feel sorry for me thread, but I just wanted all of my friends on ES to know that the world lost a good person yesterday afternoon.

My friend Josh Doll, 25, was killed by an 88 year old man yesterday at 5:20 in the afternoon. I had been friends with Josh since Elementary School. We went to all three schools together, and most recently, alternated in playing the drums at our church's worship band.

Josh was driving along minding his own business, and this old **** made a turn to go into his driveway, never bothering to look side to side, and in the process, hit and killed Josh.

To make it worse, the old guy was siting on his front porch in a lawn chair, watching the spectacle unfold after rescuers pulled him out of the car...

How many more innocent people have to die out there, before the government or somebody does something about these old drivers??? Old drivers are not safe. 9 times out of 10, they have problems even walking or moving around...why in the bloody hell are they allowed to drive??

How many of your friends have to be killed just so the old codgers can claim "their independance"? Are we never going to have some kind of a mandatory check on people who get up there in age?

The guy that senslessly killed Josh is 88 years old. He will not stand trial, and most likely due to his age, he will not be charged or serve any time. That's bull ****. Because he's old and senile, he's above the law and can get away with murdering someone. If you or I were to do that on our way home, we'd go to jail, lose our licenses, and have to go through a mountain of crap to get our licenses reinstated.

RIP Josh, we will all miss you. I think he may have even posted on this board. He was a big time skins fan. I hope a lawmaker or somebody comes to their senses and gets unsafe, old drivers off the road, before you or i get killed by them....

If the old guy was in the wrong, he will be tried and sentenced. Sadly, that will not help your friend. 1 in 4 drivers, including more than half of teen drivers, admit to texting while driving. So there is no point in condemning one set of drivers, when inattentive driving is pandemic in our society.

My prayers to your friend's loved ones.

The biggest problem is that at 88 years old, the courts are going to say that the guy is "too old" to serve jail time. Then they will bring in a doctor on the old guy's behalf that says that he will die in prison because of his health...thereby bringing up the fact that his condition/health was probably to the point that he shouldnt have been driving...how sadly ironic

I do think that periodically they really need to do a second thorough driver's test to check for vision, reflexes, etc. There are a number of people out there who shouldn't drive whether due to infirmity, stupidity (like texting or drinking), or a number of other conditions.

I hope your find finds peace and you find solace and comfort. Best wishes.

Sorry to hear that SS.

I've been a firm believer in mandatory driving tests at a certain age for a long time. Every so often you hear about an elderly driver hitting people and killing them and it all could've been prevented (or at least we could try to prevent it) by having them retake a driving test to weed out who is too gone to operate a motor vehicle.

Again sorry for your loss man.

Also a good reason to wear a seatbelt.

Dude please tell me you are just pointing that out as a safety reason, not criticising the fact that Josh didn't have his seatbelt on..I dont know if you read the linked article or not..

It's hard to tell people's tones on here sometimes, and my emotions are real high right now, so i'm sorry if you were just trying to make a point.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, the old man will be held accountable for his actions.

The article states that your friend wasn't wearing his seatbelt. If this is true, he definitley should have been. Especially in an open top vehicle where the odds of being ejected upon impact are extremely high.

Again though, i'm sorry to hear about this horrible event and the loss of your friend.

Dude please tell me you are just pointing that out as a safety reason, not criticising the fact that Josh didn't have his seatbelt on..I dont know if you read the linked article or not..

It's hard to tell people's tones on here sometimes, and my emotions are real high right now, so i'm sorry if you were just trying to make a point.

I will say this...There should be mandatory re-testing for all drivers regardless of age. Once you hit 70, you should have to go more often for testing.

However, accidents happen. The best way to protect yourself is to wear a seatbelt. Your friend would most likely be alive had he been wearing one. It's a damn shame what happened. I feel bad for all who know him who have to deal with the grief.

i agree with you that he should have been wearing his seatbealt, Dictator. At the time I didn't realize what you were trying to say, you know?

I'm sorry if I over reacted. Josh probably would be alive, since it was an open top vehicle, but you never know...

i agree with you that he should have been wearing his seatbealt, Dictator. At the time I didn't realize what you were trying to say, you know?

I'm sorry if I over reacted. Josh probably would be alive, since it was an open top vehicle, but you never know...

I wouldn't say you over reacted at all. Your thoughts on the subject are entirely understandable.

Totally agree that old people need to be tested for their driving ability. Declining vision, declining reflexes, declining hearing is not a good combination for drivers. Take the age issue out of the equation and a person with the above characteristics is someone I wouldn't want to share the road with.

Also a good reason to wear a seatbelt.

I actually know someone who was in an accident and the cops said he was lucky he didn't have his seatbelt on because if he did he would've been killed. I guess a seatbelt isn't always a safe thing.

Archived