Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From PFT: Could Jets QB Vinny Testaverde be cut if QB Akili Smith is signed?

TC4

Okay I KNOW this is Pro Football Talk, the National Enquirer of football news, but this did look interesting:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:13 a.m. EDT, June 11, 2003

AKILI ARRIVAL BAD NEWS FOR VINNY

A league source tells us that, despite the public pronouncements by the New York Jets regarding the fact that the addition of quarterback Akili Smith will not affect the status of Vinny Testaverde, the arrival of Akili is the beginning of the end for Vinny in New York.

Ironically, Testaverde's agent suggested toward the end of the 2002 season that Vinny wanted out, given that he lost his starting job to Chad Pennington. But the Jets made it clear that Vinny would be sticking around.

But with Smith on the roster (if he chooses the Jets over the Packers, Seahawks, and Saints), the source says that Testaverde's tenure in New York will be over, as early as the final 2003 preseason roster cuts.

Smith, who visited the Jets on Monday and Tuesday, will work out for the Packers on Wednesday.

Bill Parcells just smiled while eating his Wheaties this morning :)

Bring in Vinny, let him run the Cowboys for the first year and stabilize things and then work to develop Hutchinson or get another younger player via draft or free agency next year to make the push when the team is stronger in other areas..........

You have to believe that Parcells is still looking for a veteran qb. Even if you buy the argument he wants to see one of the younger guys during the regular season to judge for himself, you have to believe he wants a veteran there in case things go south fast.

Carter or Hutchinson completing 45% of their passes and having no anchor in the backfield to carry the load for 16 games could be fatal to this club in 2003.

I don't think Parcells is really going to let that happen.

Impossible.

Vinny wouldn't start for many teams, but he's still one of the better backup QB's in the league and importantly, he's intimately familiar with Hackett's complex offense. Why would the Jets absorb an additional $4M dead money hit in 2004 on top of the already high number (thanks Tuna) in order to put Akili Smith in his shoes? Akili would be #3 on the depth chart and groomed to replace Vinny after he retires next offseason.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he struggled mightily considering he did lead the team to the postseason in the WCO in 2001 and threw for 300 and 3 TDs in the Wild Card game. But you did hit the nail on the head that the WCO is a poor fit for VT's style. Hackett strongly accentuated the running game in 2001 to minimize the VT factor and when our OL and running game faltered in early 2002, VT couldn't keep the ship afloat.

The current FO has no culpability on VT's cap status - that went down before they arrived whenl Tuna deciding to give an aging VT a massive contract following 98 and on top of that, guarantee the majority of it. Master coach, ignorant GM. Restructuring and extending was the only solution.

VT has taken years off the lives of many Jets fans with his knack for throwing an INT at the most painful times. But the guy is a warrior and a humble mentor to Pennington and also gave me the greatest regular season sporting event I've ever attended: throwing 4 TDs and 250 yds in the fourth quarter alone and coming back from 7-30 to beat our 1st place arch-rivals in OT. Recently voted the best MNF game ever, can never forget The Miracle in the Meadowlands.

whatever his age and other faults Vinny looks pretty good right now for one year behind center for the Cowboys if I am a Dallas fan :)

Vinny is definitely worth a #4 or #5 pick for the Cowboys if Parcells is hoping to get the Cowboys to better than 5-11 in 2003.

I am surprised the Cowboys were not interested in Brian Griese given his age, starting experience and the amount of money he signed for in Miami.

Griese may not be the quarterback he seemed after his second year, but he is better than many of the starters in the NFL and is now making mere backup wages.

unless Hutchinson proves to be a quick understudy, the Cowboys are going to have to acquire a quarterback in 2004 anyway :)

this way they at least have a transitional figure that is not going to lose games for them as they improve in other areas.

Hackett strongly accentuated the running game in 2001 to minimize the VT factor and when our OL and running game faltered in early 2002, VT couldn't keep the ship afloat.

---Flow

Is that what you call it when you can't throw the ball, "strongly accentuating" the running game?

To be honest, I'm not sure whose fault it was, but your offense was pitiful in 2001. Bottom 5 I believe. If memory serves correctly the football Gods were kind and you led the league in takeaways (or were close to it). That was pretty much the only reason (+ Martin) you went to the postseason. Come on guy - call a spade a spade.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he struggled mightily considering he did lead the team to the postseason in the WCO in 2001 and threw for 300 and 3 TDs in the Wild Card game.

Ummm, guy? If Ramsey doesn't get "garbage time" stats versus Philly in their final game at the Vet, neither does TV when the Raiders handed the Jets their heads.

Frankly, right now, I'd take Vinny for the Skins.

He's not enough of a starter to be a threat to Ramsey's ego, but he's just about the NFL's poster boy as a mentor and a relief pitcher.

Now, if he becomes a FA, I'd expect an auction for him (there's gotta be several teams who aren't happy with their backup QB's), and I'm not shure we'd want him bad enough to win the auction.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

the greatest regular season sporting event I've ever attended: throwing 4 TDs and 250 yds in the fourth quarter alone and coming back from 7-30 to beat our 1st place arch-rivals in OT. Recently voted the best MNF game ever, can never forget The Miracle in the Meadowlands.

I'm still kicking my butt for turning that game off after the 3rd qtr!!:shootinth

Vinny isn't going anywhere. What team in their right MIND would sign Akili Smith as their #2 QB? No one. Akili is going to get a job as a #3 where some team can "rebuild" him as a future starting QB-type-project.

Also, Dallas has two young QBs, one of which has a cannon arm but needs a lot of seasoning, and another who put up a 73% rating last year and might be in a position to take the next step, so why waste time with some middling vet that will likely get you the same type of numbers, and also cost you a shot at REALLY finding out what you have?

Archived