Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just what we need... another lawyer.

SoCalSkins

Congratulations. I can see the Law School influence in your cases made in the Campbell threads.

What were you doing before, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. I am a Solutions Architect with Verizon, basically sales engineering for global customers. I don't plan on practicing law. I am hoping it puts me on an executive path either where I am now or at another technology company.

Thanks. I am a Solutions Architect with Verizon, basically sales engineering for global customers. I don't plan on practicing law. I am hoping it puts me on an executive path either where I am now or at another technology company.

That is your title. What is it that you do ? Sell world phones at a kiosk, and give them a good plan ?

Just messing with you. I do think it is an interesting path to take towards that goal though. If you want to explain the reasoning I for one am curious.

Don't work for hope, work for your potential. Exploit it and own it.

:cheers:

SoCal,

How did you get involved in what you do currently and what's your educational background for that, if you don't mind the continued prying. I'm trying to learn from as many different people's experiences as possible to figure out where I'm headed.

SoCal, do you work for VZT or VZB? I'm a SR AE in the Northeast Branch.

SoCal,

How did you get involved in what you do currently and what's your educational background for that, if you don't mind the continued prying. I'm trying to learn from as many different people's experiences as possible to figure out where I'm headed.

My dad is an architect and I supported his computer systems growing up and always had a big interest in technology. I planned on going to Law School after my undergrad in history/political science at UCLA, but the dot com boom was happening at the same time. I went to work for a web development company for a year then began working at a startup.

The startup took off like crazy and we ended up as a publicly traded Nasdaq company with a market cap of over a billion. I was expecting to retire by the time I was 30. I had 150 employees reporting to me when I was 26. Then the dot com collapse happened and I lost a ton of money. I took a year off then started a home automation company. After a year I didn't want to deal with homeowners, contractors and employees so I took a job where I am now. I had some free time so I decided to knock out the law degree. Didn't tell anyone at work I was enrolled until I graduated.

I am applying to UCLA's executive MBA program for 2010 and my wife will be done with dental school when I finish that so I will be willing to take more risks and go somewhere else if I don't progress the way I intend. The end goal is a CIO position at a major technology company.

Congratulations SoCal! That should serve you well.

I work on occasion with my company's Sr. Legal Counsel, and I have to admit, if I ever became a lawyer, that is EXCATLY the type of job I'd want. He mostly gets to do ethics investigations and advise management on what they're doing wrong :). He makes a ton of money and probably has 1/10 the stress/workload of other attorneys

Congrats! I know what a bear the California Bar Exam is. What was the pass rate this time?

edit - I just checked. The February pass rate was only 33 percent. You should be proud of yourself.

How many hours is the test? The FL General Contractors exam is 18 hours long, involves 23 books, about 20 trades, and has a less than 10% pass rate. It's been as low as 5%, just trying not to overestimate. I scored a 94 on the technical portion and a 96 on the business and law section. :D I scored in the mid 90's on the state real estate exam also. ;)

How many hours is the test? The FL General Contractors exam is 18 hours long, involves 23 books, about 20 trades, and has a less than 10% pass rate. It's been as low as 5%, just trying not to overestimate. I scored a 94 on the technical portion and a 96 on the business and law section. :D I scored in the mid 90's on the state real estate exam also. ;)

That is impressive and I salute you. :cheers:

The California Bar is three full days. It covers Business Associations, Criminal Law and Procedure, Remedies, Civil Procedure, Evidence, Torts, Community Property, Professional Responsibility, Trusts, Constitutional Law, Real Property, Wills and Succession, and Contracts.

People spend three full years of their lives basically preparing for that exam. When 2/3rd of them fail, its pretty rough.

VzB. I am a former MCI employee.

Suh-weet. Me, too. Displaced lawyer in D.C. Was in MCI's legal department and later with VzB til I got pushed out post-merger. Great to see someone using the critical thinking and analysis that a legal education provides for something other than a legal career. Go for it, SoCal! And ... Go Skins!

Archived