Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your opinion of the crying scene in Castaway ?

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You do know that solitary confinement is a pretty hated experience even by some of the most anti-social humans?

It may be, but I don't think that disproves my point, because I'm sure an animal would hate solitary confinement, as well.

Plus the fact, that there's a difference between solitary confinement, and roaming freely on a deserted island

No, humans are very much dependent on social interaction. He needed to talk to Wilson, if he didnt he probably would have died. Not from lack of interaction but from lacking the will to go on.

He could have found a goat or something.

Mick,you may want to read about Alexander Selkirk. That would take care of the goat suggestion. :)

I enjoyed the scene. It showed just how far Hank's character had fallen in one way,and how he had adapted,(though in a somewhat bad way),to overcome all the issues of being truly isolated. Wilson was at first,a distraction. Something to talk to in order to keep the loneliness and despair from overwhelming him. In that scene,Wilson had become someone. A reality. Someone,(more than likely a bit of schizophrenia there),that helped keep him alive. To keep him from giving up. When Wilson disappeared,Hanks character had lost a part of himself.

It's my understanding that the writer of the story did a lot of research when writing this story. Including talking to survivalist and such. I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. That I believe that this is a fairly accurate portrayal of someone put in to this situation.

I don't understand why he never explored the island... he may have been able to locate a Dharma station loaded with supplies...

Or some WMDs.

I hated that movie. Thought it was terrible and kept hoping for a new version of Ginger and Maryanne to come from behind a tree. Instead I get a guy talking to a ball and it takes him years to figure out how to make a raft.

Booo!!!!

He knew how to make the raft, he just didn't have the right parts. When a big piece of a porta-potty landed on the shore, he started building.

Two hours of my life I can't get back.

Jesus I hate Tom Hanks.

Well you must have known he was in the movie beforehand, so if you hate Tom Hanks so much, then why did you spend the (wasted) 2 hours watching him ? :hysterical:

Well you must have known he was in the movie beforehand, so if you hate Tom Hanks so much, then why did you spend the (wasted) 2 hours watching him ? :hysterical:
A fair question. People at my work were saying at the time that it was the most poignant movie to come out in years and how it was an acting breakthrough for Tom Hanks.

I have always regarded him to be the biggest of hacks and his choice of roles to be even more treacly and cliche-ridden but because everyone raved about the movie so much I decided to give it a chance. It was exactly as I suspected....only worse.

Mick, you can't go 30 minutes without talking to your "imaginary" friends on ES via thread-starting; I'd think of all the people here, you'd understand Tom's pain the best! ;)

(Just jokes, buddy :))

what are ya tryin to say, jrock, that you're my Wilson ? :)

He knew how to make the raft, he just didn't have the right parts. When a big piece of a porta-potty landed on the shore, he started building.

Bear Grylls doesn't need a GD Porta Potty to build a raft!

lol

I love that movie; I watch it every time it's on TV.

I've been, in the past, sentimentally attached to an inanimate object, so I can understand Hanks' character emotionally investing into Wilson the volleyball.

See, i thought it was a 2 hour commercial for Fed Ex.

"We will deliver your package, no matter what."

~Bang

I thought their slogan would be, "In addition to Overnight Delivery : Now offering 4-year Delivery at a discounted cost"

Or maybe it was a 2-hour commercial for Wilson sporting goods.

"Wilson : Where your Balls can be your best friend" :paranoid:

Archived