Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your opinion of the crying scene in Castaway ?

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I know this is an old movie, but after seein it a 2nd or 3rd time, it got me wonderin a couple things.

First, do you think if you were stranded on a deserted island, that you would have eventually made a fake head to talk to (Wilson in Castaway) ?

Second, when Wilson blew away, off the raft, and he starts cryin and ballin, did you find that ridiculous or believable ?

I find it hard to imagine feeling so isolated that I would start talking to a volleyball. But he was out there for like two years or something. I could never understand how difficult that would be. I probably would have broken down and cried far earlier than him.

I have no doubt that most people would freak out, go nuts, start talking to inanimate objects, etc. and its hard to say what I would do since I'm not in that situation and you never know until you are but I think I would just talk out loud to myself rather than talk to a volley ball. I suppose though in that scene since he personified wilson in some way it was like the death of a friend or something.

I would have likely perished after a few weeks but after 3 years, I think I would have been talking to tree's.

As far as crying - it was his buddy for years... sure, why not... .

I think the movie is wrong in it's assumption, and that it would be completely different.

Instead of turning into a partially-insane human being, I think the person would de-volve into a caveman-like, animal-like being.

You would be so de-socialized that you would not even CARE about socializing, or identifying with another human-type being.

You'd become more like the animals who are the hunters and the hunted, and just live to survive.

I think the movie is wrong in it's assumption, and that it would be completely different.

Instead of turning into a partially-insane human being, I think the person would de-volve into a caveman-like, animal-like being.

You would be so de-socialized that you would not even CARE about socializing, or identifying with another human-type being.

You'd become more like the animals who are the hunters and the hunted, and just live to survive.

True but Nell sucked. :hysterical:

I would agree with you if he was far younger, Lord of the Flies type thing. At that age you are still not socialized as much and it would be easier to act on pure instinct. But as a grown man I think the movie portayed it well. He had someone to go back to that he constantly thought of and looked at(the lockette). In some aspects he would have regressed, but being older he wouldn't have to that extent.

To de-evolve socially would not happen with a person of that age, given his social standing before he was stranded.

To de-evolve socially would not happen with a person of that age, given his social standing before he was stranded.

I don't know man......if I spend just 2 weeks on ES, without going out to hang out with someone in-person, I feel like my social skills had already devolved. :silly:

Mick, I can't wait till McD5 and Westbrook36 find this thread. I'm sure that they will share some delightful insights into what one should do when confronted with complete isolation. None of said insights shall involve crying or making up imaginary friends.

Mick, I can't wait till McD5 and Westbrook36 find this thread. I'm sure that they will share some delightful insights into what one should do when confronted with complete isolation. None of said insights shall involve crying or making up imaginary friends.

That's easy - McD5 would have colored the Wilson ball to make it look like Ladell Betts ;)

i thought the moral of that movie was don't ship with fedex?

:)

kidding, of course. I work for UPS.

funny story. a few years ago, when i was a sales rep and in and out of building all day, people always asked me when we were going to make a movie. I told them - when our planes crash.

ok, i thought it was funny.

I talk to myself now. perhaps, it's stranger to talk to a ball as a separate thing than to yourself but still...after 4 years?

I actually found that scene to be pretty stirring. If you think about it, we invest so much in inanimate objects.

What Trekkie didn't mist up when the Enterprise is destroyed in Search for Spock? Who wasn't worried about the Millenium Falcon coming out of the Death Star?

If you can cry over the Enterprise and not even have a REAL Enterprise, I think a guy on an island for four years and presumed dead might latch onto a volleyball.

I actually liked that movie, it gets some heat and I guess it's not perfect but I found the 'unhappy' ending preferable and still carry with me that idea of "just keep breathing. You never know what the tide will bring." Life isn't always what you expect, what you want or even what's good. But it's all that you have. There are some divides that love cannot bridge, and should not.

As my friend once told me, "We live, as we dream--alone."

I have no doubt that most people would freak out, go nuts, start talking to inanimate objects, etc. and its hard to say what I would do since I'm not in that situation and you never know until you are but I think I would just talk out loud to myself rather than talk to a volley ball. I suppose though in that scene since he personified wilson in some way it was like the death of a friend or something.

Um, I've got to admit that many a Sunday I start talking to my TV.

You do know that solitary confinement is a pretty hated experience even by some of the most anti-social humans?

Archived