Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republicans to Pelosi: Prove Your Case or Apologize to CIA

Kilmer17

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/18/republicans-pelosi-prove-case-apologize-cia/

Lying to Congress is a crime. Purposely misleading Congress is a crime. And if the speaker is accusing the intelligence community of lying to her or purposefully misleading her, then she ought to present that evidence, turn it over to the Justice Department, have them prosecute it," Boehner said.

He makes a pretty good point. If someone at the CIA lied to Congress, they should have to pay the price.

I agree he makes an excellent point. Hopefully this is the end of her.

Though, this is similar to not being under Oath when talking to a 9-11 Commish so you can't be held accountable for anything. She was running her nasty plastic face.......but was she testifying?

a lie is a lie, I don't care if she was "testifying"....

She is now blaming the Bush Admin, she keeps changing her story...backpeddle Pelosi, keep backpeddling. Hopefully she will backpeddle right back to Cali and out of DC.

One fact that's interesting is that Obama wrote an apology to the CIA a couple weeks back over this whole fiasco (which was conveniently not given much press coverage). Many knew that Pelosi was in over her head w/the House Speaker position but even I didn't think she'd **** the bed this soon.

Not HER. But if someone from the CIA lied TO HER, then there is a punishment coming. If she is lying about it now (which I think MOST of us suspect) there isnt a law broken, just her being her own scummy self.

One fact that's interesting is that Obama wrote an apology to the CIA a couple weeks back over this whole fiasco (which was conveniently not given much press).
Obama is trying so friggin hard to put this whole thing to bed, and Pelosi just keeps it bouyant. It's Emmanuel time.

I met Pelosi over a decade ago and she's a complete dingbat. It's entirely possible she was so involved in whatever cob of corn her brain was picking at the time that she just heard "yadda yadda yadda" when they briefed her. She's a "yadda yadda" type of person, completely self-absorbed. She's not bright at all... the fact that she is the Speaker of the House is amazing. You can't hold a give and take conversation with her. If she came clean, it'd be "I'm a complete dingbat and I never really cared about CIA stuff anyway... I was in another world at the time." That I'd believe.

I met Pelosi over a decade ago and she's a complete dingbat. It's entirely possible she was so involved in whatever cob of corn her brain was picking at the time that she just heard "yadda yadda yadda" when they briefed her. She's a "yadda yadda" type of person, completely self-absorbed. She's not bright at all... the fact that she is the Speaker of the House is amazing. You can't hold a give and take conversation with her. If she came clean, it'd be "I'm a complete dingbat and I never really cared about CIA stuff anyway... I was in another world at the time." That I'd believe.

I have met her too, and I completely disagree.

It is true that she is a purely political animal and highly partisan, sometimes shrill, but she is smart as hell and very effective at the nuts and bolts of wielding congressional power and winning elections. She was the primary architect of the Democratic takeover of Congress in the past few years (along with Chuck Shumer). She is an arm twister and a shmoozer and everything else political - and maybe even a liar in the present situation - but she is not stupid.

You don't get to be the first female Speaker of the House by luck. Everyone in that building owes her something.

As I recall, people used to say that Ronald Reagan wasn't smart because they mistook his folksy mannerism for a lack of intellectual depth. They were wrong. Pelosi is the same way. She acts like your grandma to your face, but is always working all the angles behind the scene.

I think she conned you.

The last thing we need is someone on the Hill thats sole purpose is to twist arms and smooze and win elections for "their" party. California should be revoked and D.C. put in their place until they prove they can run their state. "Whats good for D.C. should be good for CA.

If only there were a way to get someone new into office... will have to look into that.

It seems obvious that both sides of the aisle are dirty and probably lying when it comes to who knew what about toture.

If Pelosi is lying then she should go down, but I just hope this Pelosi situation hasn't made people lose sight of the bigger issue, and that it looks like the Bush Administration, namely, Dick Cheney authorized torture on detainees in order to press them into falsely admitting a connection between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein.

My only fear is that Pelosi will go down for this and then the entire situation will just go away, which is outright BS.

I think the biggest question is whether this is big enough issue (if she lied) to remove her as Speaker. Frankly, I think it is, but not so much because of her lying about what she knew, but about her failure to act on said knowledge and then using as a political wedge tool. That's the height of sliminess.

The House has always been rancorous and partisan, but the hyper partisanship of the Delays, Newts, and Pelosis is destructive. Newt might even be considered a moderate these days in terms of partisan divisiveness and that's a truly disgusting thought.

Edit: I agree NoCal that the issue of torture itself and the conscious decision to ignore our agreements also should be held to account. I truly doubt they will. I don't think that any of the really guilty parties will ever be taken to task for their decisions or even be forced to account for themselves.

It seems obvious that both sides of the aisle are dirty and probably lying when it comes to who knew what about toture.

If Pelosi is lying then she should go down, but I just hope this Pelosi situation hasn't made people lose sight of the bigger issue, and that it looks like the Bush Administration, namely, Dick Cheney authorized torture on detainees in order to press them into falsely admitting a connection between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein.

My only fear is that Pelosi will go down for this and then the entire situation will just go away, which is outright BS.

It definitely seems pretty obvious that she is lying. That she knew about the policy and didn't seem to care until she thought she could score all sorts of political points. I like how your "bigger" picture just directs the attention from one person, or party, to another. My "bigger" picture is that it was both parties that thought these policies were needed...or at least that they were acceptable. That really would make for a tough situation for people to maintain the "outrage" that they have been holding onto since this came to light. Oh, we can't point our finger at the other party

The truth is, no one ordered or condoned torture; they tried to massage the language of the law to "undefine" certain acts of torture so they could be used. The administration briefed as few members of Congress as they legally could, but folks on both sides of the aisle knew what the lawyers had decided was permissible and what was being done.

The one side was wrong for trying to redefine what torture means, the other side was wrong for going along with it and even more wrong for faking outrage when it came to light.

This is where you get when dealing with politicians, they split hairs and spin until words like "torture" and "is" somehow mean something completely different from what we all thought they did.

Stating someone committed a crime to the American people several times using your position as House Speaker and caught lying about it? Should lose you that position.

Censured and put back into the pool of 435 at minimum.

The net effect would probably help the dems and hurt the repubs.

Karl Rove: "We didn't torture"

Karl Rove: "Pelosi was an accessory to torture"

Umm.....see this is the partisan BS I can't take. So when it is republicans in question, there was absolutely no torture going on, yet when Pelosi is suddenly on the hot seat he throws out a statement like that. How can both statements be true?

I'm sorry if my first reply wasn't clear enough. I think anyone from both sides of the aisle should go down for ordering and/or condoning and/or keeping silent on torture.

The GOP doesnt want her to go away. That's why you dont hear any of them calling for her removal.

IT's obvious she's lying. So either 1-She agreed with Bush Admin that waterboarding isnt torture. or B- She thought it was torture, but didnt care.

I can flip your outrage right back out you NoCal. Where are all of the leftwingers that cried crocodile tears regarding this issue for the last year? Why is Olbermann and Co still talking about the GOPs reaction to this rather than the issue of Pelosi lying?

Karl Rove: "We didn't torture"

Karl Rove: "Pelosi was an accessory to torture"

Umm.....see this is the partisan BS I can't take. So when it is republicans in question, there was absolutely no torture going on, yet when Pelosi is suddenly on the hot seat he throws out a statement like that. How can both statements be true?

I'm sorry if my first reply wasn't clear enough. I think anyone from both sides of the aisle should go down for ordering and/or condoning and/or keeping silent on torture.

What kind of fantasy world do you live in? Because thats one hell of a twisting of the facts to suit your position. Unless of course you have REAL quotes by Rove. Because I didn't see those quotes in the story.

And one more time. What we did isn't torture. It's ...

key_art_scare_tactics.jpg

This is torture...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0524072torture1.html

0524072torture1.jpg

His point is pointless just like Pelosi. Repub;icans need to chill out and shut up. The slippery slope that may arise from prosecuting anyone in congress can be to steep for them to bear. WMD anybody?

You ever see that MSNBC article about yellowcake uranium being taken out of Iraq maybe..4-5 months ago?

You can't prosecute based on someone being wrong, only if it was deliberate. There isn't evidence to suggest deliberateness.

Also, Ramzi Yousef, the architect of not only the first WTC bombing but Operation Bojinka which was the inspiration for 9-11 was given asylum in Iraq.

People keep (for years now) talking about this lack of Iraq and terrorism connection but they'd be incorrect. Did Saddam plan 9-11? No. Did he support international and regional terrorist groups that have killed and tried to kill Americans and allied citizens? YES.

Just because the pictures you posted happen to be another form of torture, doesn't make water boarding, not torture.

Here is the article Karl Rove wrote for the WSJ, claiming Pelosi was an "accomplice to torture"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124226863721018193.html

So either Karl Rove is just outright lying in order to keep the flames on Pelosi burning, or he is admitting that torture was taking place.

Can't have it both ways.

Also, just because administration officials try and fudge the law by coming up with alternative names for things such as "enhanced interrogation techniques" doesn't change the fact that it is torture. Detainees have died in our custody in Gitmo. I highly doubt from claustraphobia.

Archived