Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden joins monday night football

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

"To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174469

Probably an upgrade as far as analysis goes. I'm not sold on the chemistry of him, Mike Tirico, and Jaws. The producers of MNF need to eliminate the sidebar crap they've been increasingly peddling. No more "guest" appearances. The color commentary should not be a distraction. Perhaps, by removing the "personalities" (Theismann and then Kornheiser) they'll move away from the sidebar crap.

Simply put, the audience tunes in to watch the game, not the commentators.

All I can say is HALLELUJAH!!! NO MORE Kornheiser on MNF!!! Love PTI, HATE HATE HATE him on MNF!

Gruden will be more of a true analyst instead of some clown who thinks he's funny and is really only there just for the fluff.

yeah, for real!!! Korny was horrible. I'm tired of listening to these people who know nothing about footbal.

All I can say is HALLELUJAH!!! NO MORE Kornheiser on MNF!!! Love PTI, HATE HATE HATE him on MNF!

Gruden will be more of a true analyst instead of some clown who thinks he's funny and is really only there just for the fluff.

x1000000!!

Cant stand MNF commentary right now. Gruden can not make it any worse...

yeah, for real!!! Korny was horrible. I'm tired of listening to these people who know nothing about footbal.

The irony is that Korny has been working football jobs literally for decades, and still doesn't know more about football than my pet hermit crab.

Yahoo reports that Kornheiser left and attributes his decisions to his fear of flying. Was he cracking a joke? Or is this legit?

I wondered the same thing.

He's been flying for years, and he just now realized this ?

Either he's makin fun of Madden, or it's based on many recent troubles in the airline industry.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Kornheiser was one of the worst "analysts" I have ever seen during a football game. Personally, I think Gruden has been really good on the few occasions I've seen him on the NFL Network. He should bring some experience and insight to the booth this season.

I wondered the same thing.

He's been flying for years, and he just now realized this ?

Either he's makin fun of Madden, or it's based on many recent troubles in the airline industry.

He's always been afraid to fly. He's always talked about this in the past.

I wonder what this means for his coaching career? Will he stay in the booth for a few years or is this just a one year deal?
Hopefully just a one year deal.

He's way too good of a coach. He might have needed a break, but I think he'll be back.

He and Jaws can probably create some good chemistry.

I wonder how long he will last in the booth?? Just seems like a one season and done situation for Chucky. I don't think he can stand being away from the sideline that long.

Hopefully just a one year deal.

He's way too good of a coach. He might have needed a break, but I think he'll be back.

I wonder how long he will last in the booth?? Just seems like a one season and done situation for Chucky. I don't think he can stand being away from the sideline that long.

He'll return, not just because of his talent, but also because of his young age.

But his young age, might also cause him to wait longer to return, rather than the opposite opinion above.

They should have just left it with Tirico and Jaws. Every football booth with 3 people in it is a disaster. I was watching the Den/KC 1994 game with Elway/Montana and poor Frank Gifford couldn't get a word in edgewise with Dan Dierdorf (who is the worst color guy in the business). That's why Theismann sounded like a jerk, he could get a word in with Kornhieser. I watched the 1992 replay of Minn/Chicago, it was Mike Patrick and Joey T. Joe T was actually very good. He didn't over analize, didn't sound like a know it all and was very knowledgable with the game. He actually paused, realizing he didn't NEED to get a word in. Three man boothes are terrible. Too much banter that takes away from the game.

They should have just left it with Tirico and Jaws. Every football booth with 3 people in it is a disaster.

Especially when one of them is a loud-mouth, or a motor-mouth, and there's usually at least one of those in every booth.

They should have just left it with Tirico and Jaws. Every football booth with 3 people in it is a disaster. I was watching the Den/KC 1994 game with Elway/Montana and poor Frank Gifford couldn't get a word in edgewise with Dan Dierdorf (who is the worst color guy in the business). That's why Theismann sounded like a jerk, he could get a word in with Kornhieser. I watched the 1992 replay of Minn/Chicago, it was Mike Patrick and Joey T. Joe T was actually very good. He didn't over analize, didn't sound like a know it all and was very knowledgable with the game. He actually paused, realizing he didn't NEED to get a word in. Three man boothes are terrible. Too much banter that takes away from the game.

I agree that Joey T was/is a very good color guy....can't wait till he finally gets the Skins radio gig.:D

The whole "3 man booth" thing is thanks to MNF in the 70's. People want so bad to recreate that dynamic but you can't. It was a unique situation with unique personalities in a different television era.

I agree, they need to let the 3 man booth just die.

Archived