Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Can Jason Garrett get the best out of Felix Jones?

tr1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/can-jason-garrett-get-the-best-out-of-fe.html

Jason Garrett's influential friends make sure to mention how much the Cowboys missed Felix Jones after he got hurt last season when they talk to the local media.

Daryl "Moose" Johnston made a point of doing so. So did Troy Aikman.

They make a fair point. Felix Jones had shown flashes of being one of the NFL's best big-play threats before he pulled a hamstring in the sixth game of the season, then needed toe surgery after a rehab mishap. Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones goes so far as to call Felix the Cowboys' most impactful player "since I don't know when."

No question the Cowboys missed Felix. But Garrett was guilty of criminally underusing the breakaway back when he was healthy.

Remember when Felix Jones got as many touches as Jerry Jones during a loss to the Redskins? Or when he got a grand total of three carries against the Eagles? He made his mark in that win by returning a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, but it's hard to figure out why he such an explosive player had such a limited offensive role.

Garrett obviously recognizes Felix Jones' talent. The Cowboys drafted Jones instead of Rashard Mendenhall in large part due to Garrett's opinion that Jones was a better complement for Marion Barber.

Perhaps Garrett will put the kid in position to show how good he really is on a regular basis this season.

Garrett is the scapegoat for last season...and will continue to be so, when, confronted with a mediocre WR corps, a slow RB who hasn't been a starter for an entire career, and and aging, over-paid, and under-achieving offensive line.

Oh, and then there's that choking-dog Romo sits to pee...

:rotflmao:

I don't really get the hype for Felix. He ran fast around the outside corner. Whoopty ****. :jerk:

I never saw anything out of the guy to make me say "wow, that was a nice run". Basically what I say every time a guy like Westbrook or Jacobs or Portis touch the ball.

Garrett is the scapegoat for last season...and will continue to be so, when, confronted with a mediocre WR corps, a slow RB who hasn't been a starter for an entire career, and and aging, over-paid, and under-achieving offensive line.

Oh, and then there's that choking-dog Romo sits to pee...

:rotflmao:

Scapegoat?????

Bahahahahahahaha.

I am sure you watched all the Cowboy games this year and the play calling was simply awful.

He doesn't deserve all of the heat, but he deserves some of it.

To many opportunities and he would call a crap play.

not get hurt so easily?

he averaged 8.9...nitpicking but its not over 9.

he had 30 carries which shows he is a gadget guy for now. they are putting in special plays to get big yards and use him for his speed not tuffness.

6 games..30 carries..3 TDs. if we were talking about a full time RB he would be considered a bust.

I will wait and see what he does this year. he has potential to be big time but he is not there by any means yet.

He didn't get on the field last year because he is a downright awful blocker, and then got injured.

Unless Garett is responsible for teaching the kid how to block, it’s not his responsibility.

This guy definitely scares me. He has a chance to break a long one at any moment. If he stays healthy this year he will add a very dynamic option to your running game. With Barber softening up the D and then bring in Jones to break the long ones is not something I am looking forward to this year. To early to say the guy is injury prone after only one season.

Did all of you knocking him for not getting a lot of carries last year expect him to start ahead of Marion Barber? Or Dallas to turn their offense into a run heavy attack last season?

He was a rookie and wasn't going to get a huge amount of carries. I suspect that will change this year if they're smart and they'll be more devoted to the run.

Chris Johnson >> Felix Jones

'Nuff said.

EDIT:

Probly should have mentioned Felix was drafted over the rookie pro-bowler Johnson. ;)

Apples and Oranges man.

Overall talent I would give the edge to Johnson. I agree.

But Felix has never been the guy and split carries with a guy who had 4,590 yards and ranks only 2nd to Herschel Walker.

Archived