Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

how to deal with unjust bureacrats?

Prosperity

I need help pretty bad.. I have been ****ed over hard core at my university with some unjust parking tickets recently.

On May 11th all of the summer temporary help started working. Usually it takes us a few days to catch up with our work on the grounds keeping crew to get enough spare time have us taken to parking services to get our work zone permits . By the end of the very first week, all of us summer temporary workers had accrued hundreds of dollars in parking tickets. I had personally received two hundred dollars in parking tickets. The previous two summers we have had no problem whatsoever getting these early tickets voided as long as we got our permits in a timely manner (this is what all my supervisors expected to happen again). It should be noted that none of us could have gotten the work zone permits before we started working because they are only available after we start working, and furthermore we can only get them if we are taken by our supervisors since otherwise they may not believe that we are actually JMU employees. Having explained this to the parking services representative I was told that under no circumstance could the tickets be voided, despite the fact that it would have been impossible for us summer workers to get our permits earlier.

I was given three options:

1. pay $75, $25 for the permit (which I have budgeted in my finances) and $50 reduced rate for the other tickets (which I can't afford at the moment)

2. pay $25 for the permit and then pay $200 later

3. not pay for the permit and pay the $200 later and never park at my work again, and wake up at wake up at 5AM so I can walk to work and be on time.

Choice #1 is tantamount to coercion. I shouldn't have to be forced to pay unjust fines just so I don't risk paying even more unjust fines.

This is horse****, I want to know who I should complain to, and how should I complain, in order to fix this.

You want to get things fixed in a college setting? Go over their head. Go to the president of the college. I did that and got a lot of wrongs straightened out at my school. The only thing you have to be weary of is ticking the wrong people off. People do not like when you go over their head. I got the things accomplished I wanted but I also had people out to get me for making them look like idiots when they were trying to screw me over!

WTF? I swear, parking services at any university are a bunch of Nazis, I hate them. I'm sorry. From how you described your situation, you have the right to be pissed off, I certainly would be.

You need to get your supervisors in on this. They should be taking care of this matter instead of making the grounds crew workers individually try to fight the parking services.

WTF? I swear, parking services at any university are a bunch of Nazis, I hate them. I'm sorry. From how you described your situation, you have the right to be pissed off, I certainly would be.

You need to get your supervisors in on this. They should be taking care of this matter instead of making the grounds crew workers individually try to fight the parking services.

Our parking when I was in college was insane because we could park in front of our dorms in the evening and on the weekends but if you forgot to move your car sunday night to the parking lot on the other side of campus, $50 ticket. My mom got so angry at all the tickets I got.

JMU parking services is a goddamn joke. I would take it to your supervisor, and all the way to Dr. Rose if you have to. Luckily I only got one ticket total for both my undergrad and graduate degrees, but I've heard too many stories about them.

Our parking when I was in college was insane because we could park in front of our dorms in the evening and on the weekends but if you forgot to move your car sunday night to the parking lot on the other side of campus, $50 ticket. My mom got so angry at all the tickets I got.

Same thing happened to me as you and the OP. Even got my car towed. We weren't lucky enough to have a place on campus to move our rides to, we had to park at the football stadium - two miles from campus.

I think I will write a letter to head of the parking services as well as President Rose. Yes the money is crappy, but the real injury is the obvious injustice in that one branch of the university is not only ****ing over university employees, but also students... I mean is it really worth pissing off so many future alums for this nickel and dime bull****?

Oh yeah, I haven't been to a college or University where the parking wasn't totally ridiculous...Towson University was probably the best in my experience with private and public universities.

My freshman year in a private college, all us freshman get **** parking, like a mile down the hill from the dorm. Fine. Whatever. Then there was a rape on campus in the "freshman/underclassman" parking lot for the girls' dorms and they never caught the guy. I had a couple late night labs each week and when I got done around 10ish...and there was no way in freaking hell I was going to park down there and walk a freaking mile to the dorm. Especially since our public safety officers were a complete joke and either didn't show upon when called, or showed up like 30-45 minutes late, it was absurd.

So I parked up at my dorm and got a ton of tickets my first couple quarters in college (so did a couple other girls in my labs). Whatever, the public safety dept. was full of a bunch of dip****s, seems to be overwhelming trend at a lot of these schools (sorry to offend students on here who might work at campus safety...but to clarify, it was the higher ups that were freaking idiots, I never really had problems with the student workers).

I think I will write a letter to head of the parking services as well as President Rose. Yes the money is crappy, but the real injury is the obvious injustice in that one branch of the university is not only ****ing over university employees, but also students... I mean is it really worth pissing off so many future alums for this nickel and dime bull****?

What action are your supervisors taking? Are they appealing this?

• 2 weeks later...

What action are your supervisors taking? Are they appealing this?

Update:

I talked to my supervisors and they didn't get anything done. It's no surprise that nothing came out of that because all of those Page County hicks know each other, and treat everyone else as an outsider. (most of the people at my work are from this small backwater place called Page County. and they all know each other)

I then wrote a letter to the head of Parking and then the VP of administration. That was about a week ago, today I go to work and my supervisors call me in and tell me that I have to apologize to the Parking services rep that I talked to... There was no justification for that, I was not rude to her, all my anger was internal and to other people, and not anyone at that office. Anyway, the tickets got voided, but somehow my supervisors thought that I did something wrong and should apologize. They even threatened that I would be fired. Now, I know that their threat was completely BULL **** but I went ahead and gave my "apology" I said I was sorry that there had to be such a big fuss over it, and that's true. I figured I saved my money, it's best not to make my situation any more strenuous then it has to be. It really pisses me off how much these people cover each other's asses and completely ignore what is reasonable. If I didn't talk to the VP then I would have ended up getting screwed over.

Oh well that's life. Lessons learned: go over people's heads, eventually you'll find someone that's not a complete moron and/or jackass.

Overall I'd say it was a victory, I paid 0 in fines, but had to 'apologize'

Update:

I talked to my supervisors and they didn't get anything done. It's no surprise that nothing came out of that because all of those Page County hicks know each other, and treat everyone else as an outsider. (most of the people at my work are from this small backwater place called Page County. and they all know each other)

I then wrote a letter to the head of Parking and then the VP of administration. That was about a week ago, today I go to work and my supervisors call me in and tell me that I have to apologize to the Parking services rep that I talked to... There was no justification for that, I was not rude to her, all my anger was internal and to other people, and not anyone at that office. Anyway, the tickets got voided, but somehow my supervisors thought that I did something wrong and should apologize. They even threatened that I would be fired. Now, I know that their threat was completely BULL **** but I went ahead and gave my "apology" I said I was sorry that there had to be such a big fuss over it, and that's true. I figured I saved my money, it's best not to make my situation any more strenuous then it has to be. It really pisses me off how much these people cover each other's asses and completely ignore what is reasonable. If I didn't talk to the VP then I would have ended up getting screwed over.

Oh well that's life. Lessons learned: go over people's heads, eventually you'll find someone that's not a complete moron and/or jackass.

Overall I'd say it was a victory, I paid 0 in fines, but had to 'apologize'

See the only way to get things solved is to go over someones head at a college. Sounds like your supervisor is a real tool though.

Archived