Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NEWS: Portis to lose up to 10 pounds...

heliKCx17

No link...

ESPN NEWS, 12:45: Clinton Portis wants to lose weight in order to regain his quickness he had in Denver. He said his lack of explosive runs has been because of his added weight.

This would be fantastic if he could get back to the quick Portis that could also punish. BUT...this worries me because older backs tend to move in the opposite direction...from quicks to bangers...and he has a lot of tread on his tires. Hopefully it works out, we could use a quick Portis to grab extra yardage and break a few big ones.

What you guys think?

Is he talking about losing 10 lbs from his playing wait last year or 10 lbs from where he is now? If you look at his pics from the mini camp, he def has a spare tire...so 10 lbs from there would only get him back to his season form...lets hope its 10 from last years playing weight

Is he talking about losing 10 lbs from his playing wait last year or 10 lbs from where he is now? If you look at his pics from the mini camp, he def has a spare tire...so 10 lbs from there would only get him back to his season form...lets hope its 10 from last years playing weight

Good question.

Older back? He is stil 27. Same age as Michael Turner, know one calls him an "old back"

He is two years younger than Westbrook, so why does Portis get called old, and Westbrook is in his prime?

Compare the amount of carries each back has over there career.

That is why age isn't why they are old. Its the carries.

He means off his playing weight. And the word was up to 10 pounds. I'm thinking he'll lose a solid 7 or 8 and be down to ~215, and that could give him his first step back. I know I'm not a pro athlete, but I played bball in school and had a very quick first step. I gained only about 10 pounds after that, and my first step was gone. 5-10 lbs can really make a difference.

That would be a good move for him. He could hit the hole quicker and get up field faster. I think we all want to see him go back to his denver days. Not sure if we have the line for him to do so though. I think we definitely implement the zone blocking scheme though. They just need to spell Betts more this year and not run him into the ground the first half of the season again. I would like to see Clinton finish up next year the way he started last year. Keep him fresh for a playoff push.

Older back? He is stil 27. Same age as Michael Turner, know one calls him an "old back"

He is two years younger than Westbrook, so why does Portis get called old, and Westbrook is in his prime?

Portis is old because of the amount of carries he's had in his career in comparison to Turner. Portis was in the NFL @ 20 years old...that's amazing...

who ever said Westbrook is in his prime?

And Michael Turner is a bad comparison, obviously. Career carries / yards for Portis 2,052 - 9,202 and for Turner 604 - 2,956 (holy cow, what an average for Turner! Almost 5 yards.)

Portis isn't terribly old, but he's not getting any younger. He's played 7 seasons already. History would tell you he'll be lucky to be productive for another 4.

Although I am a huge CP fan (see name), I honestly think it doesn't matter what he does with his weight - whether he stays at where he is now or loses the 10lbs, he will still be the same productive CP. I think what would have a larger impact on his production and ability to "break longer runs consistently" is the team's ability to find another back. If you spell Portis more often with an EFFECTIVE back (thus excluding Betts from the conversation), Clinton's production will go up tremendously. Imagine having tired defenses in the 4th going against a refreshed Clinton. It would be like stealing. Too often have we had to rely solely on Clinton during the first 3 quarters just to move the damn ball. Add in a real number 2 back to spell him every few series or even downs and you get a healthier Clinton for the long run.

You know this may be key to extend your career.

Adrian Peterson noticed that to play as long as he wants to, he needs to put weight on. That is why he is doing it. It will take away from his explosiveness a bit, but its better than for him to last 2 more years at a high level and then dissapear.

Portis was thin early, put weight on and still performed at a high level, and now is losing some to make sure his legs stay fresh and his body doesn't wear from the extra weight.

Looking at it from a pure logic standpoint, it makes sense. I am not sure how the evidence from past players supports this move.

I'd love to see him shed some weight especially since I think this will mean we'll get meaningful carries from Betts and see Portis last the whole season. Next season is pretty much the last time we'll be able to get something from Betts since he's turning 30, let's get our money's worth from him and actually use him to spell Portis instead of running the man into the ground 30 carries a game.

No link...

ESPN NEWS, 12:45: Clinton Portis wants to lose weight in order to regain his quickness he had in Denver. He said his lack of explosive runs has been because of his added weight.

This would be fantastic if he could get back to the quick Portis that could also punish. BUT...this worries me because older backs tend to move in the opposite direction...from quicks to bangers...and he has a lot of tread on his tires. Hopefully it works out, we could use a quick Portis to grab extra yardage and break a few big ones.

What you guys think?

It sounds good to me, at least his head is in the right place i.e. he's thinking about breaking some long runs.

I felt like he was starting to become too much of a pounder i would like to see him look to break the big run again trying to juke or out run a safety

instead of running at him.

But, in order for this to work he needs to stay fresh and he's gonna have to be okay with fewer carries.

And the coaching staff has to get Betts/Cartwright involved in the game planning to keep Portis from getting banged up especially if he's planning to drop weight.

Good point, CP is going to be 28 soon. That's not old! The fact is with all the great RBs the skins have had CP is by far the best. Some people can except that, and some will think of an excuse on why he isn't. CPs stats don't lie he's a pro bowl back who is still in his prime, and I'm happy we have him.

Plus Westbrook is coming off a year in which he was injured and banged up...but then again its the Eagles and we have so many Eagle fans on this board that love to tout how great McNabb and Westbrook are.

I prefer to wait and let the season do my talking.

Clinton Portis has 2,000 carries on his tires. Brian Westbrook has 1,200. Michael Turner has 600. In runningback terms, Clinton Portis is significantly older.

Because of the insane amount of carries he has had over the duration of his career. Portis probably touches the ball more than any other play in the league save for a few QBs

Archived