Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Pelosi denies being informed about waterboarding / CIA lied

IHOPSkins

UPDATE:

Pelosi Pontificating Pursuant to Pleading Proper Procedures Performed.......

“We all share great respect for the dedicated men and women of the intelligence community who are deeply committed to the safety and security of the American people,” she said in a statement issued by her office. “My criticism of the manner in which the Bush Administration did not appropriately inform Congress is separate from my respect for those in the intelligence community who work to keep our country safe.

“What is important now is to be united in our commitment to ensuring the security of our country; that, and how Congress exercises its oversight responsibilities, will continue to be my focus as we move forward.”

Hot Air response....

I don’t know what she could possibly mean by this after yesterday’s “the CIA misleads us all the time” sandbagging unless she’s now accusing Team Bush of pulling aside the agents in charge of briefings and ordering them to lie. Which is insane given that (a) by her own admission, agents did brief Congress about waterboarding Abu Zubaydah by early 2003; (B)......

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/05/15/pathetic-pelosi-plays-down-cia-criticism-blames-bush-instead/

UPDATE:

Pelosi Pontificating Pursuant to Pleading Proper Procedures Performed.......

“We all share great respect for the dedicated men and women of the intelligence community who are deeply committed to the safety and security of the American people,” she said in a statement issued by her office. “My criticism of the manner in which the Bush Administration did not appropriately inform Congress is separate from my respect for those in the intelligence community who work to keep our country safe.

“What is important now is to be united in our commitment to ensuring the security of our country; that, and how Congress exercises its oversight responsibilities, will continue to be my focus as we move forward.”

Hot Air response....

I don’t know what she could possibly mean by this after yesterday’s “the CIA misleads us all the time” sandbagging unless she’s now accusing Team Bush of pulling aside the agents in charge of briefings and ordering them to lie. Which is insane given that (a) by her own admission, agents did brief Congress about waterboarding Abu Zubaydah by early 2003; (B)......

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/05/15/pathetic-pelosi-plays-down-cia-criticism-blames-bush-instead/

Larry's response:

Actually, if I believe Nancy's statements that

a) The DoJ prepared legal opinions about torture

B)

Some of the legal positions said it was legal

c) Some of the legal positions said it was illegal

d) The CIA only told Congress about the positions that said it was legal

Then I'd be a lot more inclined to assume that the Bushies didn't tell CIA about the opinions that said it was illegal, and that CIA told Nancy exactly what CIA was told.

I mean, seriously. If you're Darth Cheney, and you want the CIA to torture people, and you've got two "legal opinions" in your desk drawer, one says it's legal, the other says it's illegal, do you hand the person you're asking to torture people the written paper that says "The President is telling you to do something illegal"?

Or do you just hand over the one that says "Hey, no problem!" and forget to tell him about the other one?

Larry's response:

Actually, if I believe Nancy's statements that......

Nancy said the CIA mislead congress (and bush also)

Did they lie to congress?....YES

Now she wants to Blame Bush and make Nice Nice with the CIA

Its pretty "transparent"

Nancy said the CIA mislead congress (and bush also)

Did they lie to congress?....YES

Now she wants to Blame Bush and make Nice Nice with the CIA

Its pretty "transparent"

And like I said. If the subject is that supposedly DoJ said that torture was illegal, and Congress supposedly wasn't told that, then my money is on "Bush didn't tell CIA" being a lot more likely than "CIA didn't tell Congress".

Course, there are a lot of topics flowing back and forth on this one, too. May be talking about something completely different.

UPDATE:

Poll 83% Say Pelosi Lying on Interrogation

“What do you think of Nancy Pelosi’s explanation about what she knew about Bush-era interrogation methods?” with three possible responses and the results

15.4% I believe she was misled by the CIA

83% She is not being totally honest about what she knew

1.6% I’m not sure

Many conservative bloggers are wondering how long the poll will remain online. MSNBC often takes polls offline if they show the Obama administration in an unfavorable light. A poll that was asking the readers to grade President Obama on the economy had a majority of respondents giving President Obama an F was rapidly removed.

http://www.americandailyreview.com/home-features-articles-blog/2009/5/16/poll-83-say-pelosi-lying-on-interrogation.html

I went to MSNBC...I could not find the poll

EDIT: found the poll....current results are the same

This is how the CIA gets away with murder.

Make sure that the political big wigs have their hands dirty enough to go down if the CIA is ever held to account on anything, or they are atleast able to make it appear that way.

This is why our country will eventually be a police state, because the NSA CIA and FBI, and former administration officials are unaccountable to the public, and will do as they please. No one has the political will to go after their excesses and leave the Pelosi's of the world to rot on the vine.

I mean, seriously. If you're Darth Cheney, and you want the CIA to torture people, and you've got two "legal opinions" in your desk drawer, one says it's legal, the other says it's illegal, do you hand the person you're asking to torture people the written paper that says "The President is telling you to do something illegal"?

Or do you just hand over the one that says "Hey, no problem!" and forget to tell him about the other one?

The CIA is not a legal organization. If they receive word that something is legal, they go with it.

This is not the issue anyway. Legal or not, the CIA says it briefed Pelosi. She denies it.

She is running a "they never told me", "but if they did tell me, they told me it was legal" campaign.

Please tell me what any of her lies has to do with Cheney. Since you seem hellbent on bringing him into this issue.

Nancy is up S creek without a paddle.....

Despite IHOP's assertion that Dems are lining up to side with Nancy, they are not. She is on her own...

Agreed because when the chips are down politicians are concerned...with one thing:saving their own hides. The rats are deserting the sinking ship.

Nancy is up S creek without a paddle.....

Despite IHOP's assertion that Dems are lining up to side with Nancy, they are not. She is on her own...

I think I agree with you on that. Do you think this will grow to the point where she is forced to resign or will it go th way of so many controveries as media fodder only with no tangible effects.

By the way, despite my disdane for her, I actually dont think she should lose her job over it.

:doh:

Graham: CIA Gave Me False Information About Interrogation Briefings

In testimony that could bolster Speaker Nancy Pelosi's claim that the CIA misled her during briefings on detainee interrogations, former Senator Bob Graham insisted on Thursday that he too was kept in the dark

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/14/graham-cia-gave-me-false_n_203683.html

Dems: CIA briefers may have broken law

Democrats on the House intelligence committee said Thursday that CIA officers broke the law in 2002 if they told Nancy Pelosi then that they had not yet engaged in waterboarding.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22531.html

Another Dem casts doubt on CIA briefing memo

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), who was chairman of the intelligence committee in 2002, is the latest Democrat to seriously question the accuracy of the CIA memo detailing Congressional briefings on waterboarding and enhanced interrogations.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Another_Dem_casts_doubt_on_CIA_briefing_memo.html

UPDATE:

Poll 83% Say Pelosi Lying on Interrogation

“What do you think of Nancy Pelosi’s explanation about what she knew about Bush-era interrogation methods?” with three possible responses and the results

15.4% I believe she was misled by the CIA

83% She is not being totally honest about what she knew

1.6% I’m not sure

Many conservative bloggers are wondering how long the poll will remain online. MSNBC often takes polls offline if they show the Obama administration in an unfavorable light. A poll that was asking the readers to grade President Obama on the economy had a majority of respondents giving President Obama an F was rapidly removed.

http://www.americandailyreview.com/home-features-articles-blog/2009/5/16/poll-83-say-pelosi-lying-on-interrogation.html

I went to MSNBC...I could not find the poll

EDIT: found the poll....current results are the same

I would also bet that there is a good chance the Obama poll was taken down because it was being worked by someone with a bot or as part of a campaign by right wing sites sending all of their members to vote. It's the kind of thing that happens to both sides. I would have to see a real pattern before assuming the poll was removed just because it was unfavorable to Obama.

Muhammed Khudayr al-Dulaymi

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/dikkday48yahoocom/2009/05/from-whence-did-this-order-for.php?ref=recdc

Dick Cheney wanted to torture one of Saddam's intelligence officers because he wanted to confirm the WMD theory

A) No bias in the blog you are quoting from right? :doh:

B) At best you have the "suggestion" by Cheney that he should be waterboarded. The act itself did not happen as best as can be determined.

But, Duelfer says, Khudayr in fact repeatedly denied knowing the location of WMD or links between Saddam's regime and al Qaeda and was not subjected to any enhanced interrogation. Duelfer says the idea that he would have known of such links was "ludicrous".

What if they didn't torture to keep us safe? What if they tortured to find a link between Al Qaida and Saddam Hussein?

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/2009/05/the_truth_about/

So you are saying that it would not be a threat to America if Iraq was supporting Al Qaeda? And if links existed, it would not be best to know about them even after the fact so we can learn more about how Al Qaeda operates and who else might be tied in? :doh:

Leon P. coming out with his assertion that the CIA told the truth is not good for Nancy as it went through the White House to get out.

But all in all: Still not going to end up in a single thing happening. At most the 2nd in charge will ensure he becomes 1st.

Nancy Pelosi is finding out that sharp elbows, a motormouth and blind idealism don't always work in Washington D.C. As of last night only one other Dem was backing her in her push to rewrite the recent past & call out the CIA for lying (read: doing its job). It's been enjoyable watching her squirm.

Does anyone else find the title "Truth Commission" Orwellian?

UPDATE:

I think the issue just took another step.....

Rep. Pete Hoekstra, House Republicans' point man on the burgeoning interrogation controversy, is seeking more documents from the CIA in light of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's assertion that the CIA lied to her.

Hoekstra (R-Mich.), the ranking Republican on the House intelligence committee, is asking the agency for the documents that CIA staffers reviewed to prepare for their congressional briefings on the Bush administration's interrogation program.

"I was greatly concerned at allegations made by Speaker Pelosi that intelligence professionals from the CIA 'misled' her and potentially other members of Congress," Hoekstra wrote in a letter sent Friday. "Accordingly I am writing to ... request copies of additional records that may further clarify the matter.....

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/hoekstra-requests-more-cia-briefing-documents-2009-05-16.html

• 8 months later...

UPDATE:

Rep. King: Pelosi should be concerned about upcoming CIA doc dump

The public interest group, Judicial Watch, announced on Tuesday that a court order, issued by the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, states the Central Intelligence Agency must give Judicial Watch documents regarding congressional briefings on "enhanced interrogation techniques” by April 15 of this year. Judicial Watch is seeking documents detailing CIA briefings involving House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D – CA) and/or her staff.....

......Speaker Pelosi is being scrutinized over comments she made in April of 2009, when she admitted she was briefed on the use of “enhanced interrogation techniques,” including waterboarding; However, she also said she was not aware they had already been used. The CIA later contradicted Rep. Pelosi’s remarks. The spy agency referred to a briefing they had with Ms. Pelosi on September 4, 2002, as well as another briefing to her top staffer. Ms. Pelosi accused the CIA in May 2009 of misleading Congress.(see video)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/watercooler/2010/feb/02/rep-king-pelosi-should-be-concerned-about-upcoming/

Keeping Pelosi on the hotseat is a GOOD thing

Archived