Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Pelosi denies being informed about waterboarding / CIA lied

IHOPSkins

Second- I still question his qualifications to be pres. I can not figure out how anyone can say that someone who runs an entire state for 2 years has less qualificaitons than somone who had bare bones attendance as a state senator and again bare bones attendance during his US Senate seat- in which he spent more time campaigning than actually on Capitol Hill.

Did you actually listen to her speak? :D

UPDATE:

Republicans Dispute Pelosi's Claim That She Couldn't Stop Interrogation Techniques

Republicans said they were stunned Thursday by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's claim that she was powerless as minority leader to intervene in the CIA's "enhanced interrogation techniques" used on terrorism suspects......

.....Harman was the "appropriate person to register a protest," Pelosi said

"But no letter or anything else is going to stop them from doing what they're going to do," she added.

Not so, said Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., the top Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee. "As a member of the Gang of Four, if the CIA proposes to do something that we think is wrong, we can do something about it. We've done something about," he said......

.....Bond said that as minority leader, Pelosi could have used a number of legislative tools to block the program, including using the Constitution's Speech and Debate clause, which protects lawmakers who wish to speak on the House floor on sensitive issues. She could also have insisted that other members be briefed on interrogation techniques; moved to cut CIA funds; insisted Congress go into closed session, like during Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and Patriot Act revisions; or sought revisions to the National Security Act to change congressional notification requirements.

"So there's no excuse to say, 'I was powerless,'" Bond said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/14/republicans-dispute-pelosis-claim-stop-interrogation-techniques/

Opsi Nancy.....the POWERLESS Speaker

Wow, you're right.

The Democrats could have shut down the entire government, and our intelligence operations, at a time of war, and they didn't do it.

This clearly proves that they bear just as much guilt as the people who planned, justified, implemented, and lied about the program.

Either Pelosi is lying OR Porter Goss is lying

If Goss is lying then the CIA did not brief them about waterboarding. Why would he lie about being briefed on a then legal activity mentioned in a top secret briefing? Why would he NOT lie now and agree with Pelosi, when lying now could ultimately save his neck? But, if he is lying that means the CIA is also lying.

What motivation did the CIA have to lie about a then legal activity which was mentioned in a top secret briefing?

Finally, how can our president claim a crime has been committed, then openly refuse to prosecute? Can he usurp the duties of the Attorney General?

Well, I believe if they DIDN'T brief Congress that would be a crime. If Pelosi is telling the truth, then somebody at CIA committed a crime.

And as head of the executive branch, he can.

Personally, I give Nancy the benefit of the doubt. After five years of her being called clueless by the Repubs why on earth should I believe that she knew what was going on?

...besides, she was probably texting during the meeting and wasn't paying attention to what was said anyway.

Wow, you're right.

The Democrats could have shut down the entire government, and our intelligence operations, at a time of war, and they didn't do it.

This clearly proves that they bear just as much guilt as the people who planned, justified, implemented, and lied about the program.

Talk about changing the subject. :doh:

A) No one said ANYTHING about shutting down the government or intelligence operations as a whole. That must have come from the little voices inside your head. :D

B) Pelosi is the one who raised the issue by claiming she could have done nothing. It turns out, that's another lie.

Wow, you're right.

"Shut down the entire government and our intelligence operations"?? lol :rotflmao:...Oh, come on. :)

Does using the Constitution's Speech and Debate clause, insisting that other members be briefed on interrogation techniques or insisting Congress go into closed session equal "shutting down the entire government" in your eyes?

Talk about changing the subject. :doh:

A) No one said ANYTHING about shutting down the government or intelligence operations as a whole. That must have come from the little voices inside your head. :D

Or in the post immediately preceeding mine.

B) Pelosi is the one who raised the issue by claiming she could have done nothing. It turns out, that's another lie.

Yep. Like the post said. She could have shut down Congress. Or cut off funding for the CIA. Or, she could have tried to get the majority party to protest against what the majority party was doing.

Well, I believe if they DIDN'T brief Congress that would be a crime. If Pelosi is telling the truth, then somebody at CIA committed a crime.

And as head of the executive branch, he can.

Hey, if it's determined (and it sure sounds like the GOP and the CIA has irrefutable evidence it's holding back for the right time) that NANCY is out and out lying, then what? This is a NATIONAL DISGRACE if it turns out it can be proven that she was briefed, wouldn't you agree? Sounds like you're in some big hurry to hold the CIA accountable and charge somebody there with a CRIME if she telling the truth, but what if she's the one lying? Are you going to be objective and demand she resign? Or will you be a typical lib and say..."Oh well.....no biggie....lying is OK if it's done by a Dem."

Wow, conservatives/Republicans REALLY don't like Nancy Pelosi.

If she's lying, she should suffer the consequences. As far as I know she wasn't under oath when she gave any of those statements (and they're not part of an affidavit or anything), so I don't think its a legal matter. But as a political matter, if it turns out she was specifically briefed on the waterboarding of Abu Zubaydah and a) didn't do anything about it and B) lied about being briefed then there should be a political price to pay. I doubt she'll be seriously challenged in SF, but she might lose the gavel or something.

For what its worth, Bob Graham (D, FL) says he wasn't briefed on waterboarding in 2002, either. http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/torture/bob-graham-i-wasnt-told-about-waterboarding-or-eits-in-my-briefing/ There also seems to be an issue with the CIA citing 3 briefings and Graham only remembers 1. http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/05/14/senator-bob-graham-the-cia-made-up-two-briefing-sessions/

So, will conservatives/Republicans be more inclined to see a truth commission and/or prosecutions if they think Pelosi and other Democrats could be busted, too?

BTW, anybody remember John Boehner accusing the CIA of being less-than-truthful with Congress? Glenn Thrush dug up the quotes. http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Boehner_didnt_always_defend_CIA.html

Obama messed up big with his knee jerk, "recognizing it as an illegal activity, but will not prosecute" stance, without thinking of exactly how deep it was going to go. Now he just wants it all to disappear. He should have followed the typical procedure of assigning a task force to examine the issue and write a 5000 page memo that no one will read.

You're right of course...keep in mind that this is the kind of "leadership" you get with people like Obama and Pelosi who couldn't lead a herd of turtles across the street.....

Prosecution for doing their job?...bring it:D

This whole prosecution bs has been nothing but party gamesmanship from the start....just like the impeachment threats.

Instead we have shifting denials of fact,selective leaks and temporary amnesia....business as usual.

.......For what its worth, Bob Graham (D, FL) says he wasn't briefed on waterboarding in 2002, either. .....There also seems to be an issue with the CIA citing 3 briefings and Graham only remembers 1........
The Memo posted previously also shows him only attending one meeting Unless he is part of "Full Committee"

But that meetings notes does say EIT used (it was a different meeting than Pelosi's....so I guess the CIA lied TWICE)

Now its Pelosi/Graham vs CIA

Interesting that there is another meeting where it is specifically noted that Murtha was NOT there during the EIT portion

Hey, if it's determined (and it sure sounds like the GOP and the CIA has irrefutable evidence it's holding back for the right time) that NANCY is out and out lying, then what? This is a NATIONAL DISGRACE if it turns out it can be proven that she was briefed, wouldn't you agree? Sounds like you're in some big hurry to hold the CIA accountable and charge somebody there with a CRIME if she telling the truth, but what if she's the one lying? Are you going to be objective and demand she resign? Or will you be a typical lib and say..."Oh well.....no biggie....lying is OK if it's done by a Dem."

Nope.

Lying to Congress is a crime.

Lying by Congress is expected.

whether or not she is telling the truth has no effect on whether a crime was committed

whether or not she is telling the truth has no effect on whether a crime was committed

No ,but it would make her a accomplice,and of course irritate her liberal base.

Of course she can always claim ignorance or insanity;)

added

TIME FOR AN INSTA-POLL!

Who’s lying — Nancy Pelosi, or the CIA?

Nancy Pelosi

The CIA

That’s above my pay grade:hysterical:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/

Now that enough time has passed:

This is no different than the Rush Limbaugh crap: Who cares what 1 minority democrat was briefed on? I understand she is using politics of all things to lesson her rivals.

And said rivals are using politics to lesson her. And none of it really matters.

IF she outright lies to the American people she should be censured: Not going to happen. That's the extent of this if the news doesnt chum this up too much.

Back to the task at hand: Now insurance companies want a bailout and MORE money is being spent while we watch this "sideshow".

Wow, conservatives/Republicans REALLY don't like Nancy Pelosi.

If she's lying, she should suffer the consequences. As far as I know she wasn't under oath when she gave any of those statements (and they're not part of an affidavit or anything), so I don't think its a legal matter. But as a political matter, if it turns out she was specifically briefed on the waterboarding of Abu Zubaydah and a) didn't do anything about it and B) lied about being briefed then there should be a political price to pay. I doubt she'll be seriously challenged in SF, but she might lose the gavel or something.

For what its worth, Bob Graham (D, FL) says he wasn't briefed on waterboarding in 2002, either. http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/torture/bob-graham-i-wasnt-told-about-waterboarding-or-eits-in-my-briefing/ There also seems to be an issue with the CIA citing 3 briefings and Graham only remembers 1. http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/05/14/senator-bob-graham-the-cia-made-up-two-briefing-sessions/

So, will conservatives/Republicans be more inclined to see a truth commission and/or prosecutions if they think Pelosi and other Democrats could be busted, too?

BTW, anybody remember John Boehner accusing the CIA of being less-than-truthful with Congress? Glenn Thrush dug up the quotes. http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Boehner_didnt_always_defend_CIA.html

If you do not hate Pelosi, you are either from California or not paying attention. She is as dirty as Delay was.

If she spoke the truth, she would not be fighting for her political life, she may not have even got censured. The only thing she would have had to do is explain herself to her fans. Like I said earlier, Obama gave everyone involved a free pass. But she insists on persuing this obvious lie. I say obvious because either she is lying or 50 other people are.

Graham was not at the briefing in question (the one there is proof she attended, who knows how many more there actually were).

This is NOT about the republicans, this is about her. She keeps this parade moving. It would have long passed if she admitted the truth. Now it is heading into scandal territory, and the press loves a scandal.

Archived