Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Pelosi denies being informed about waterboarding / CIA lied

IHOPSkins

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has become a lightning rod for GOP criticism on the issue of enhanced interrogation of terror suspects, denied today that she was told waterboarding was used on detainees and insisted that the Bush administration had deliberately misled lawmakers.

In a televised news conference, Pelosi accused the CIA of misrepresenting what was going on with the questioning of terrorism suspects when intelligence officials briefed legislators on the Intelligence Committee in 2002. At the time, Pelosi was the ranking Democrat.

"We were told that they had legal opinions that it was legal and were not told about other legal opinions to the contrary," Pelosi said of the briefings. "We were told specifically that waterboarding was not being used."

Pelosi said she learned later from other members of Congress about the CIA use of waterboarding. "I wasn't briefed. I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said......

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-pelosi-torture15-2009may15,0,2174313.story

CIA lied to Nancy?

Didn't Nancy Lie when she said she never EVER heard about waterboarding?

"we were not told that waterboarding......were used" 55 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1635icvGnjo

NOW

"To the contrary ... we were told explicitly that waterboarding was not being used," she told reporters, referring to a formal CIA briefing she received in the fall of 2002.

Pelosi said she subsequently learned that other lawmakers were told several months later by the CIA about the use of waterboarding.

"I wasn't briefed, I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090514/D9865AJO0.html

Lying sack of :pooh:

And further....

House Republican Leader John Boehner dismissed Pelosi's account.

"When you look at the number of briefings that the Speaker was in and other Democrat members of the House and Senate, it's pretty clear that they were well aware of what these enhanced interrogation techniques were," said the Ohio lawmaker. "They were well aware that they had been used, and it seems to me that they want to have it both ways. You can't have it both ways."

That sums it up

She just keeps on digging, doesn't she?

I think Obama had a good reason for his initial 'let it go and move on' position. Too many people have their hands dirty on this.

Too late now though.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this as well.

She just keeps on digging, doesn't she?

I think Obama had a good reason for his initial 'let it go and move on' position. Too many people have their hands dirty on this.

Too late now though.

Obama messed up big with his knee jerk, "recognizing it as an illegal activity, but will not prosecute" stance, without thinking of exactly how deep it was going to go. Now he just wants it all to disappear. He should have followed the typical procedure of assigning a task force to examine the issue and write a 5000 page memo that no one will read.

Obama messed up big with his knee jerk, "recognizing it as an illegal activity, but will not prosecute" stance,.....
So maybe the Liar Pelosi thought she had political coverage for smacking the republicans and then Obamas Flip Flop caused her to be exposed?

Interesting

We should start a timeline on this

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has become a lightning rod for GOP criticism on the issue of enhanced interrogation of terror suspects, denied today that she was told waterboarding was used on detainees and insisted that the Bush administration had deliberately misled lawmakers.

In a televised news conference, Pelosi accused the CIA of misrepresenting what was going on with the questioning of terrorism suspects when intelligence officials briefed legislators on the Intelligence Committee in 2002. At the time, Pelosi was the ranking Democrat.

"We were told that they had legal opinions that it was legal and were not told about other legal opinions to the contrary," Pelosi said of the briefings. "We were told specifically that waterboarding was not being used."

Pelosi said she learned later from other members of Congress about the CIA use of waterboarding. "I wasn't briefed. I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said......

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-pelosi-torture15-2009may15,0,2174313.story

CIA lied to Nancy?

Didn't Nancy Lie when she said she never EVER heard about waterboarding?

"we were not told that waterboarding......were used" 55 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1635icvGnjo

NOW

"To the contrary ... we were told explicitly that waterboarding was not being used," she told reporters, referring to a formal CIA briefing she received in the fall of 2002.

Pelosi said she subsequently learned that other lawmakers were told several months later by the CIA about the use of waterboarding.

"I wasn't briefed, I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090514/D9865AJO0.html

Lying sack of :pooh:

And further....

House Republican Leader John Boehner dismissed Pelosi's account.

"When you look at the number of briefings that the Speaker was in and other Democrat members of the House and Senate, it's pretty clear that they were well aware of what these enhanced interrogation techniques were," said the Ohio lawmaker. "They were well aware that they had been used, and it seems to me that they want to have it both ways. You can't have it both ways."

That sums it up

Observing that, if you ignore all the pretty colors, you've posted two quotes which don't contradict each other, called her a "Lying sack of :pooh:", and then provided a third quote which doesn't dispute what she's said.

I'm not going to jump in and claim that she's not a "Lying sack of :pooh:". (I really haven't been following this drama. And she is, after all, a politician.) Just pointing out that the quotes you've provided here don't come close to showing it.

UPDATE:

Pelosi Remarks at Press Conference About Briefing on Enhanced Interrogation Techniques

Washington, D.C. –Speaker Nancy Pelosi spoke this morning at a press conference in the Capitol on Congressional briefings related to enhanced interrogation techniques. Below are her remarks as prepared:

“Throughout my entire career, I am proud to have worked for human rights, and against the use of torture, around the world.

“As Ranking Member of the Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee in the 1990s, I helped secure the first funding for the Torture Victims Relief Act to assist those suffering from the physical and psychological effects of torture.

“I unequivocally oppose the use of torture by our government because it is contrary to our national values.

“Like all Members of Congress who are briefed on classified information, I have signed oaths pledging not to disclose any of that information. This is an oath I have taken very seriously, and I have always abided by it.

“The CIA briefed me only once on some enhanced interrogation techniques, in September 2002, in my capacity as Ranking Member of the House Intelligence Committee.

“I was informed then that Department of Justice opinions had concluded that the use of enhanced interrogation techniques was legal. The only mention of waterboarding at that briefing was that it was not being employed.

“Those conducting the briefing promised to inform the appropriate Members of Congress if that technique were to be used in the future.

“Congress and the American people now know that contrary opinions within the Executive Branch concluded that these interrogation techniques were not legal. However, those opinions were not provided to Congress.

“We also now know that techniques, including waterboarding, had already been employed, and that those briefing me in September 2002 gave me inaccurate and incomplete information.

“At the same time, the Bush Administration was misleading the American people about the threat of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

“Five months later, in February 2003, a member of my staff informed me that the Republican chairman and new Democratic Ranking Member of the House Intelligence Committee had been briefed about the use of certain techniques which had been the subject of earlier legal opinions.

“Following that briefing, a letter raising concerns was sent to CIA General Counsel Scott Muller by the new Democratic Ranking Member of the House Intelligence Committee, the appropriate person to register a protest.

“But no letter could change the policy. It was clear we had to change the leadership of the Congress and the White House. That was my job.

“When Democrats assumed control of Congress in 2007, Congress passed legislation banning torture and requiring all government agencies to abide by the Army Field Manual. President Bush vetoed this bill barring the use of torture. An effort to overturn his veto failed because of the votes of Republican Members.

“We needed to elect a new President. We did; and he has banned torture.

“Congress and the Administration must review the National Security Act of 1947 to determine if a larger number of Members of Congress should receive classified briefings so that information can be utilized for proper oversight and legislative activity without violating oaths of secrecy.

“I have long supported creation of an independent Truth Commission to determine how intelligence was misused, and how controversial and possibly illegal activities like torture were authorized within the Executive Branch.

“Until a Truth Commission is implemented, I encourage the appropriate committees of the House to conduct vigorous oversight of these issues.”

http://speaker.house.gov/newsroom/pressreleases?id=1168

Straight from the...........

first, Nancy is a liar.

Second- I still question his qualifications to be pres. I can not figure out how anyone can say that someone who runs an entire state for 2 years has less qualificaitons than somone who had bare bones attendance as a state senator and again bare bones attendance during his US Senate seat- in which he spent more time campaigning than actually on Capitol Hill. His poor decision making, his backpeddling shows is obvious inexperience.

Observing that, if you ignore all the pretty colors, you've posted two quotes which don't contradict each other, called her a "Lying sack of :pooh:", and then provided a third quote which doesn't dispute what she's said.

I'm not going to jump in and claim that she's not a "Lying sack of :pooh:". (I really haven't been following this drama. And she is, after all, a politician.) Just pointing out that the quotes you've provided here don't come close to showing it.

Here ya go Larry

Page One

http://www.humanevents.com/downloads-pdfs/EIT%20Briefings.pdf

I use "pretty colors" to differentiate articles from my opinions.....to bad you havn't figured that out yet

I am here to help you

first, Nancy is a liar......
And her constituents should hold her accountable.......

If she is SO anti-enhanced techniques....you figure she should have attended MORE briefings and spoke up ALOT sooner

She was chairman and was Ignorant of what was going on?.....This CIA vs Pelosi fight should be pretty good

:munchout:

Here ya go Larry

Page One

http://www.humanevents.com/downloads-pdfs/EIT%20Briefings.pdf

I use "pretty colors" to differentiate articles from my opinions.....to bad you havn't figured that out yet

I am here to help you

You do realize that the quote you provided in Post 12, and the pdf you linked to, above, don't contradict each other, either?

Pelosi says she was briefed once, and the pdf says she was briefed once.

Calling Madame Pelosi a "Lying sack of :pooh:" is a tremendous insult to sack's of :pooh: everywhere...

How can you tell Pelosi is lying?

Easy, her mouth is moving... (Despite the overused Botox)

Either Pelosi is lying OR Porter Goss is lying

If Goss is lying then the CIA did not brief them about waterboarding. Why would he lie about being briefed on a then legal activity mentioned in a top secret briefing? Why would he NOT lie now and agree with Pelosi, when lying now could ultimately save his neck? But, if he is lying that means the CIA is also lying.

What motivation did the CIA have to lie about a then legal activity which was mentioned in a top secret briefing?

Finally, how can our president claim a crime has been committed, then openly refuse to prosecute? Can he usurp the duties of the Attorney General?

You do realize that the quote you provided in Post 12, and the pdf you linked to, above, don't contradict each other, either?

Pelosi says she was briefed once, and the pdf says she was briefed once.

She denies being briefed that enhanced techniques were used

CIA memo says she was briefed

She denies being briefed that enhanced techniques were used

CIA memo says she was briefed

She denies being told that waterboarding had already been used. She denies being told that some of the legal opinions drawn up by the DoJ concluded that waterboarding was illegal. (She claims that she was only told about the legal opinions that the White House liked.)

Here is more on this esteemed member from frisco.....

The Speaker defended her decision not to speak out more forcefully five months later, when a top aide was briefed that interrogators had been waterboarding detainees.

“No letter or anything else was going to stop them from doing what they were going to do. My job was to change the majority in the Congress,” Pelosi said. She pointed to a letter of protest that Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), then the top Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, sent to the CIA as the appropriate channel for top Democrats to register an objection.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/34921-1.html

Politics OVER National Security?

Gotta love this Democrat

Either Pelosi is lying OR Porter Goss is lying

If Goss is lying then the CIA did not brief them about waterboarding. Why would he lie about being briefed on a then legal activity mentioned in a top secret briefing? Why would he NOT lie now and agree with Pelosi, when lying now could ultimately save his neck? But, if he is lying that means the CIA is also lying.

What motivation did the CIA have to lie about a then legal activity which was mentioned in a top secret briefing?

Finally, how can our president claim a crime has been committed, then openly refuse to prosecute? Can he usurp the duties of the Attorney General?

I'm admitting that I can't follow the first part of your post.

As to the final paragraph, I somehow seem to believe that the AG works for the President.

Politics OVER National Security?

Gotta love this Democrat

She claims that the appropriate Democrat did object, through appropriate channels, and was ignored. That the White House's position was established: They were going to continue doing what they believed was right, until they were removed.

She is correct.

And once again, your quote doesn't say what you desperately wish that it said. (Isn't that three times, just in this one thread?)

Archived