Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Only 6% of Stimulus $ has been paid out.

SkinsHokieFan

Kinda defeats the purpose of passing it so quickly

Use this link

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/us/politics/13stimulus.html?_r=1

Stimulus Aid Trickles Out, but States Seek Quicker Relief

Article Tools Sponsored By

By MICHAEL COOPER

Published: May 12, 2009

Nearly three months after President Obama approved a $787 billion economic stimulus package, intended to create or save jobs, the federal government has paid out less than 6 percent of the money, largely in the form of social service payments to states.

Although administration officials say the program is right on schedule, they have actually spent relatively little so far.

The stimulus bill has directly injected around $45.6 billion into the economy, mostly to help states cover the costs of Medicaid and unemployment benefits, one-time $250 checks that were mailed to Social Security recipients last week, and income tax cuts that began to take effect this spring.

Although states around the country are beginning roadwork projects, the Department of Transportation had spent only about $11 million on highway projects through the first week of May.

The intent of the stimulus program was to pump money into the economy quickly, and many members of Congress said at the time of its passage that speed was of the essence. But the huge program has been a challenge to administer for both a new administration and for states and local governments grappling with their own fiscal problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/us/politics/13stimulu...

In the 7 minutes from when I made my comment, and you decided to come in here, SHF had already updated his link. Why even make the comment?

Not to mention, I was helping him out, as per the rules of the board, you must provide a link. I cannot search NYT, and then update his post, now can I?

Thanks.

Should have just dropped the cash from helis like we did in Iraq.

This is a complete mis-characterization of what we did in Iraq, and I object.

We actually brought it in on C130's by the palletful. Helicopters weren't big enough.

The blue packages were each $1.5M in brand spanking new $100 bills. I calculated there was roughly $342 on each of these pallets.

:silly: :doh:

To quote a reporter friend of mine: "Anyone familiar with the government's glacial contracting process should not be surprised."

As a federal employee, I completely agree. Construction contracts typically take 30 days to advertise, 30 days to award, a few more weeks for notice to proceed, then we only pay based on percent complete. The money won't all be paid up front.

And this is if a project is truely "shovel ready". We have several projects slated for stimulus money now that are at 95% reviews. You have to figure a few more weeks to get that ready for packaging.

As a federal employee, I completely agree. Construction contracts typically take 30 days to advertise, 30 days to award, a few more weeks for notice to proceed, then we only pay based on percent complete. The money won't all be paid up front.

And this is if a project is truely "shovel ready". We have several projects slated for stimulus money now that are at 95% reviews. You have to figure a few more weeks to get that ready for packaging.

As Contracting Officer I agree with you there...and it is not liek they are hiring extra staff right away to help with this new stimulus money obligated.

As Contracting Officer I agree with you there...and it is not liek they are hiring extra staff right away to help with this new stimulus money obligated.

Nope. We're pulling design people out in to the field and in to contracting to add manpower for the time being. But how much good are they when they don't know the process?

Nope. We're pulling design people out in to the field and in to contracting to add manpower for the time being. But how much good are they when they don't know the process?

Exactly...that's half the battle...u gotta train them not only on the process, but you hve to send them to training contracting in general.

Actually, I didn't think it should have been given out from the beginning. However, the whole reason to push this through Congress was to stop the bleeding immediately. We were getting doomsday scenarios of what would happen if it was passed on a Monday instead of Friday. Anyone with any experience working for or with the federal government knew that realistically, nothing was going to happen for months. In that case, why not debate the bill, or an even more novel idea, read it?

Much of that is going to science funding hasn't been paid out, BUT no matter when you pass it is going to take 3 months or so for it to be paid out. The agencies involved can't move until they have the money.

Passing it quickly still gets it out faster.

And they pretty quickly alerted some people that would be getting money so even if the money has changed hands yet, people now and are making plans according (in fact, I'm not getting money from this (yet), but know people that are and some have bought equipment where they were able to borrow money from the University at which they work because everybody knows the federal government is going to provide the money at some time).

Archived