Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 Trek questions for you

88Comrade2000

Question 1: Would you like to see a new Star Trek series at some point, say in 2-3 years? Or you just want Star Trek to be a movie series only? The series could be either taking the new movie and start a new show with a different cast or just some other new Trek series.

Simon Pegg said he was signed for 3 movies; so there will be at least 2 more if all goes well. I read somewhere they were thinking about even more after that.

Question 2: When they run out of stories to tell with this Star Trek crew; would you like to see them reinvent The Next Generation cast into new series of movies with a new cast?

Yes and no.

If you gave me my choice, I would want a new Star Trek series set during the Dominon Wars of DS9. But darker. Like how the new Battlestar Galactica was a darker re-imagining of the original.

I always felt DS9 sold out when they started that war, but kept blowing it off with character building episode after character building episode. I'd like a series that has the same tone as The Siege at AR558

Yes and Yes

But I think it would be a long time before they run out of stories. The beauty of a fantastic idea like Star Trek is you can do pretty much any story you want and it can be made to fit.

~Bang

Movies only. That way they have the time and the budget to do things right. Haven't seen the movie yet of course, so i'm reserving judgement on if they got the re-do of the original cast right. I think reinventing another cast is just asking for it to suck.

I dunno if it's possible to achieve the same kind of feelings that the original did. At the very least, I don't think it's possible to duplicate the original.

Because this is a different time, now.

The original series happened before Man landed on the Moon. Computers were wondrous, mythical machines which only certified geniuses were permitted in the same room with.

I've observed, recently, that if the original series were presented today, the very people who worshiped it, back then, for the way it actually included a diverse crew, would attack it for containing all those ethnic stereotypes.

When the original series was made, the idea of Man in Space was wondrous and magical.

(I observe that back then, the idea of Man in Space was wondrous, and we were actually accomplishing progress in making it true. Whereas now, the idea isn't magical any more, and we aren't even bothering to attempt it.)

In short, I think that any new series couldn't be the same.

But that doesn't mean it can't be as good. It would just have to be good in different ways. I think that, in a new series, the characters wouldn't be simply ethnic stereotypes. Darn, they'd have to be real people, instead.

I think it would be tough. ("We chose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.")

But I'd really like to see somebody try.

Yes and no.

I love what they established, I love the new mood of the series. And I think this cast is what "Star Trek" will be for a couple of movies, and I doubt they'll try to reinvent another cast. I think a lot more people (especially the public) know about and connect with The Original Series and respect it as opposed to the amount of people who know and follow The Next Generation or any other following series.

That said, perfect cast for the new crew, and like I said before, I love the modern urgent mood the movie has. I think it has potential to develop into a ridiculous trilogy that tells this crew's story in this timeline (very much like Chris Nolan's little trilogy that is universally loved) (even though after the movie ended, half the people left smiling and laughing while the other half started bashing it loudly right there and then. Yay Trekkies).

That said, perfect cast for the new crew, and like I said before, I love the modern urgent mood the movie has. I think it has potential to develop into a ridiculous trilogy that tells this crew's story in this timeline (very much like Chris Nolan's little trilogy that is universally loved) (even though after the movie ended, half the people left smiling and laughing while the other half started bashing it loudly right there and then. Yay Trekkies).

I remember walking out of a sneak showing of The Glasnost Movie that a local theater set up for my Star Trek club. Listening to all of the people who were outraged because everybody knows that the Enterprise doesn't have a kitchen.

And the guy next to me observing that nobody can rip a Star Trek movie like the Trekkies can.

Exactly Larry, haha.

The credits started rolling, and the shouting began. We left the theater FAST because the people all around us were all over small things that I didn't even notice, and probably will never notice.

Honestly, the movie went by too fast. I felt the same way I felt after watching The Fellowship of the Ring. I didn't want that movie to end, and I didn't want this movie to end either.

Yes and Yes

But I think it would be a long time before they run out of stories. The beauty of a fantastic idea like Star Trek is you can do pretty much any story you want and it can be made to fit.

~Bang

I like it!

Just don't be the guy in the odd color shirt.:D

Star_Trek_funny_pics_01.jpg

I'd like to see them expand on Christopher Pike. Apparently he's gonna be in the new movie, but its not about him. I think either in movie form or TV series form, they could expand on the adventures of Captain Christopher Pike. Maybe they could sign on Sylar to keep his role of Spock.

Archived