Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport: Jerry Jones' Influence is Dallas Cowboys' Biggest Obstacle In 2009

tr1

Close. Jimmy Smith.

As for the drafts, Parcells had a few swings and misses as well. Carpenter, all the OL he picked, passing on Steven Jackson and taking J. Jones, Fasano, etc. Its also known that Parcells was going to pick Spears first and hope that Ware or Merriman fell to 20 during the 2005 draft. However, Jerry overruled him and selected Ware. Great decision by Jerry!

even a blind squirrel.......

Obviously, Parcells made some nice picks as well, but I'd like to see a grade for each pick he made. That would be interesting... I'll get back with you on that.

this is a draft analysis from 03 to 08-

DALLAS: Bill Parcells, now running the show with the Dolphins, had a great 2005 draft that produced six starters and the team's two best players in OLB DeMarcus Ware and running back Marion Barber. Tight end Jason Witten was the 69th pick in 2003 and NT Jay Ratliff was the 224th pick in 2005. Clutch kicker Nick Folk was the 178th pick in 2007 and the top four picks last year give Dallas tremendous depth. No question the talent is here, now it's up to Tony Romo sits to pee and Wade Phillips.

Picks: 45

First-round picks: 7

Starters: 11

Pro Bowlers: 6

Grade: A

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9453994/Draft-review:-How-every-team-ranks-from-2003-'08?gt1=39002

damn. i was actually thinking jimmy smith too. never realized he was a johnson pick.

carpenter was def a bad one. i remember seeing a write up on him when he was picked. 'he will never be a good nfl caliber player' or something to that effect. i was like 'and parcells picked him??'

i saw an article a few years ago that detailed the post jimmy johnson drafts when jerrah took over. i think in 10 years, jerry drafted one pro bowler (roy williams). parcells drafted a bunch, even if he whiffed on a few.

Oh I agree that Jerry has made some bad picks. But so did Johnson and Parcells.

Jerry also picked a future HOF: Larry Allen.

even a blind squirrel.......

this is a draft analysis from 03 to 08-

DALLAS: Bill Parcells, now running the show with the Dolphins, had a great 2005 draft that produced six starters and the team's two best players in OLB DeMarcus Ware and running back Marion Barber. Tight end Jason Witten was the 69th pick in 2003 and NT Jay Ratliff was the 224th pick in 2005. Clutch kicker Nick Folk was the 178th pick in 2007 and the top four picks last year give Dallas tremendous depth. No question the talent is here, now it's up to Tony Romo sits to pee and Wade Phillips.

Picks: 45

First-round picks: 7

Starters: 11

Pro Bowlers: 6

Grade: A

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9453994/Draft-review:-How-every-team-ranks-from-2003-'08?gt1=39002

Thanks for the find.

The only problem with this grade is that it includes drafts AFTER Parcells left. The '07 & '08 drafts were not Parcells. So this grade isn't a good measurable for his drafts.

I'd also disagree with Barber being one of our two best players. I'd go with Ware and Witten.

Its an indisputable fact that dallas has drafted much better players under johnson and parcells than under anyone else. Its not even close.

Well, the original article stated that the Dallas drafts went downhill *after* Johnson and Parcells left their teams.

While I will definitely agree that Johnson was spectacular and the subsequent drafts after his departure were putrid, I will not say the same about Parcells and the drafts that followed him.

Parcells was an excellent personnel man and he did a great job of cleaning out the locker room, but he was NOT a stellar draft technician. The Cowboys' drafts of 2007 and 2008 are far superior to the last Parcells draft. They are equal or better than his first draft.

I'll agree that his 2005 draft was a Grand Slam. Few drafts in our history have matched that one. But to say that our drafts have declined since his departure is ignorance.

(I didn't include anything from this latest draft as we haven't seen them on the field yet.)

I thought every owner hired head coaches, GM's, okayed player contracts, etc.

Am I wrong?

It's usually the GM that hires coaches and okays player contracts. That's why despite having the same owner, Atlanta became a much better team when Dimitroff was hired. Teams with weak or non-existant GM's, however, are stuck with their owners' team-building skills.

Thanks for the find.

The only problem with this grade is that it includes drafts AFTER Parcells left. The '07 & '08 drafts were not Parcells. So this grade isn't a good measurable for his drafts.

I'd also disagree with Barber being one of our two best players. I'd go with Ware and Witten.

So are you saying that you had starters and pro bowlers come out of the 07 an 08 drafts? Also, weren't Ware and Witten both Parcells picks?

So are you saying that you had starters and pro bowlers come out of the 07 an 08 drafts? Also, weren't Ware and Witten both Parcells picks?

I'm saying no such thing. Just stating that those drafts were not Parcells. Nothing more. Like I said, I was curious to Parcells picks and those two drafts are not his.

Too early to judge either class in my opinion, though '07 looks disappointing whereas '08 looks promising.

Witten was definately a Parcells pick. Ware not so much so. Parcells wanted Spears first and was overruled.

I'm saying no such thing. Just stating that those drafts were not Parcells. Nothing more. Like I said, I was curious to Parcells picks and those two drafts are not his.

Too early to judge either class in my opinion, though '07 looks disappointing whereas '08 looks promising.

Witten was definately a Parcells pick. Ware not so much so. Parcells wanted Spears first and was overruled.

Surely you can't be implying that the post Parcells drafts are skewing the draft grade higher than it should be? Because that's what I got out of the post I first quoted. If it's too early to tell, as you say here, then you have no business disputing the high draft grade they gave Parcells.

Nevermind on the second part. I see it above.

Surely you can't be implying that the post Parcells drafts are skewing the draft grade higher than it should be? Because that's what I got out of the post I first quoted. If it's too early to tell, as you say here, then you have no business disputing the high draft grade they gave Parcells.

Nevermind on the second part. I see it above.

I'm not implying anything, just stating the facts. And no, I'm not saying those draft grades are skewing the draft grade higher. But in that report, they give Parcells credit for picking Nick Folk, when in fact Parcells had nothing to do with it. He was gone!

In regards to the grade, I just think an "A" is too high. He had one great draft, one good one, and two bad ones in my opinion. I don't think you can give an "A" when they guy totally whiffed on two drafts.

Here, you decide. Here are all of Parcells drafts:

1 (5) Terrance Newman CB

2 (38) Al Johnson C

3 (69) Jason Witten TE

4 (103) Bradie James LB

6 (178) B. J. Tucker CB

6 (186) Zuriel Smith WR

7 (219) Justin Bates OL

Undrafted Free Agents - Tony Romo sits to pee QB, Keith Davis S

2 (43) Julius Jones RB

2 (52) Jacob Rogers OT

3 (83) Stephen Peterman OG