Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport: Jerry Jones' Influence is Dallas Cowboys' Biggest Obstacle In 2009

tr1

by Greg Ford (Member)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/169004-jones-influence-cowboys-biggest-obstacle-in-2009

May 06, 2009

There are many questions surrounding the 2009 Dallas Cowboys.

Can Tony Romo sits to pee finally lead them to a playoff victory? Can Roy Williams step up and become the dominating receiver he was projected to be coming out of college? Is the supposedly talent-rich Dallas defense going to coalesce into a dominating unit?

However, the major question facing "America's Team" is whether omnipresent owner Jerry Jones plans to run the team as he has in years past or begin to change his ways and become less of presence on and off the field. If it's latter, that's good news for fans of the silver and blue. If not, more trouble lies ahead for one of the NFL's most recognizable franchises.

The team's history of the last 20 years had shown that Jones' influence, when not countered by the presence of strong head coach, has done nothing but create a circus-like atmosphere, one which is discipline disappears and prima donnas thrive.

When Jones first bought the franchise, he fired Tom Landry in manner that left many disgusted by the action. In truth, he was left holding the bag for that decision — a justified one based on Landry's coaching performance of the previous three seasons — by the outgoing owner Bum Bright, who should have done the dirty deed and then sold the franchise, allowing Jones to start with a clean slate.

Jones did more good than harm in dealing with the falling, which included bringing aboard Jimmy Johnson, a hard-nosed disciplinarian with a keen eye for talent. Johnson rebuilt the Cowboys into a unit resembling his University of Miami Hurricanes, a ****y, confident bunch who's speed and stamina were unmatched by any opponent.

By 1992, they were ready to seize the Super Bowl crown, which they did by walloping the Buffalo Bills. A year later, Dallas beat those same Bills to retain the title.

However, by that time, though, Jones' ego has become as powerful as the Cowboys themselves. Folks around the country got a glimpse of it early in the 1993 season, when he provoked Emmitt Smith's contract holdout by lowballing on an offer.

Only after Dallas started 0-2 did Jones offer Smith, the NFL's leading rusher in 1991 and 1992, a legitimate salary. After the team's second Super Bowl win, Jones seemed to have convinced himself that he built the Cowboys, even blowing off Johnson's contributions with talk about how "500 other coaches" could have won with such talented players.

He seemed to have forgotten, or ignored, that Johnson was the primary architect behind the Cowboys' reconstruction.

Since Johnson's departure, Cowboys fans have been treated to the likes of Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo and now Wade Phillips, each of whom was or is willing to be subserviant to Jones. Only Bill Parcells — a large ego within an even bigger body — was able to keep Jones in check, if for just a little while.

When Jones is fully in charge, the Cowboys appear to lack direction, often making personnel moves that seem done to sell tickets (the Terrell Owens signing) and not with the intent of building a Super Bowl champion.

It's no surprise, either, that Dallas' off-the-field problems are magnified when there's no strong presence on the sideline. I'm not saying that Michael Irvin's drug arrest or Pacman Jones' suspension wouldn't have happened under Johnson or Parcells, but I don't believe either coach would have coddled those players the way Jones did, especially Pacman, who was allowed to return late in 2008 before finally being let go in the offseason. Johnson likely would have brought back Irvin, a Hall-of-Fame receiver, but not before verbally taking him out the woodshed.

Another irksome aspect of Jones's personality is his desire to rewrite team history by insisting the he's always has been the primary force behind the Cowboys' draft.

Funny, isn't it, that when Johnson and Parcells were on the scene, Dallas' drafts were solid and each team was built the way the coach wanted. After each departed, the Cowboys' drafts went downhill.

To borrow and old cliché, a leopard can't change his spots, and Jones likely doesn't plan altering his anytime soon. He remains the Cowboys' biggest obstacle to any major success, and probably won't be moving out of the way anytime soon.

Another irksome aspect of Jones's personality is his desire to rewrite team history by insisting the he's always has been the primary force behind the Cowboys' draft..
I disagree with irksome. Why Jerry is the NFCE's version of Al Davis.

What facts are you talking about? This article is nothing but opinion.

How about this one, for instance:

"Funny, isn't it, that when Johnson and Parcells were on the scene, Dallas' drafts were solid and each team was built the way the coach wanted. After each departed, the Cowboys' drafts went downhill."

"Funny, isn't it, that when Johnson and Parcells were on the scene, Dallas' drafts were solid and each team was built the way the coach wanted. After each departed, the Cowboys' drafts went downhill."

It must really hurt to know that Jones has 3 Super Bowl rings....

Uh, this is still an opinion. The fact that you agree with the writer's opinion does not make it a factual statement.

Al Davis, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones.

Sorry folks. Bill Parcells once said a great line "You are, what you are"

These 3 are meddling owners. They always have been, and always will be. As a Redskins fan I've certainly accpeted that. I don't agree with it, but I've learned to accept it.

These 3 are meddling owners. They always have been, and always will be. As a Redskins fan I've certainly accpeted that. I don't agree with it, but I've learned to accept it.

What choice do we have? Either bail on the team or deal with it. Not bailing. Got too much invested.

What choice do we have? Either bail on the team or deal with it. Not bailing. Got too much invested.

I didn't suggest we have a choice. But, instead of defending them to my friends like in years past I usually just always agree when my friends bash their decisions.

I'm not bailing either. I'm just finally accepting the fact

It makes me happy that at least my Afc team has a pretty good owner.

I thought every owner hired head coaches, GM's, okayed player contracts, etc.

Am I wrong?

Uh, this is still an opinion. The fact that you agree with the writer's opinion does not make it a factual statement.

Its an indisputable fact that dallas has drafted much better players under johnson and parcells than under anyone else. Its not even close.

Its an indisputable fact that dallas has drafted much better players under johnson and parcells than under anyone else. Its not even close.

I agree.

But with Jimmy, he should not even be considered being compared to unless it's Noll or Walsh. He hit the ball out of the park with a lot of talent. Especially the Herschel Walker trade.

The man just knew talent.

Out of all the talent he found he also found a guy in 1992, who didn't play in Dallas after two seasons due to injury but still managed to put up 862 Catches, 12,287 Yards and 67 Touchdowns in his career. Won two Super Bowl rings in Dallas and never made a single catch as a Cowboy.

I agree.

But with Jimmy, he should not even be considered being compared to unless it's Noll or Walsh. He hit the ball out of the park with a lot of talent. Especially the Herschel Walker trade.

The man just knew talent.

Out of all the talent he found he also found a guy in 1992, who didn't play in Dallas after two seasons due to injury but still managed to put up 862 Catches, 12,287 Yards and 67 Touchdowns in his career. Won two Super Bowl rings in Dallas and never made a single catch as a Cowboy.

I was gonna say dave lafleur but I know better. Sounds like the keenan mcardell of dallas. Who is it?

I was gonna say dave lafleur but I know better. Sounds like the keenan mcardell of dallas. Who is it?

Close. Jimmy Smith.

As for the drafts, Parcells had a few swings and misses as well. Carpenter, all the OL he picked, passing on Steven Jackson and taking J. Jones, Fasano, etc. Its also known that Parcells was going to pick Spears first and hope that Ware or Merriman fell to 20 during the 2005 draft. However, Jerry overruled him and selected Ware. Great decision by Jerry!

Obviously, Parcells made some nice picks as well, but I'd like to see a grade for each pick he made. That would be interesting... I'll get back with you on that.

damn. i was actually thinking jimmy smith too. never realized he was a johnson pick.

carpenter was def a bad one. i remember seeing a write up on him when he was picked. 'he will never be a good nfl caliber player' or something to that effect. i was like 'and parcells picked him??'

i saw an article a few years ago that detailed the post jimmy johnson drafts when jerrah took over. i think in 10 years, jerry drafted one pro bowler (roy williams). parcells drafted a bunch, even if he whiffed on a few.

Link, please.

Here you go.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/sports/epaper/2008/04/26/a1c_war_room_0426.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

Dolphins' war room likely to be lively on draft day

By TIM GRAHAM

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 26, 2008

All three parts have been arranged before. But that was a different place, a different time, a different structure.

This will be the first Dolphins draft conducted by football operations boss Bill Parcells, first-time General Manager Jeff Ireland and rookie head coach Tony Sparano.

2008 NFL Draft

Nobody can be certain how the Dolphins' evaluators will carry out their roles today and Sunday in the NFL Draft. But based on how Parcells has operated in the past, the war room in Davie probably won't be humdrum.

"It'll probably be a pretty interesting room," said Larry Lacewell, the Dallas Cowboys' former director of college and pro scouting.

The Dolphins' new triumvirate worked together with the Cowboys, but Parcells was a coach, Ireland a scouting director and Sparano an assistant coach.

Owner and General Manager Jerry Jones reigned supreme over all Cowboys draft decisions, but Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga hired Parcells to sanction every personnel move for him.

"On draft day, I've not been in this position with him," Ireland said of Parcells. "I don't exactly know what his involvement will be on draft day, but he expects me to go through the process."

How much Parcells delegates and defers in his first Dolphins draft will be one of the league's better story lines this weekend.

Parcells has a reputation for high drama at the draft. He's not afraid to wheel and deal. Perhaps this year's big splash will be cutting the cord with defensive end Jason Taylor.

"Bill will probably need an ice pack for that cauliflower ear he's going to have from being on the phone all day," said longtime NFL personnel man Charley Armey, who was in the New England Patriots' front office when Parcells was coach.

If Parcells doesn't swing a big trade at the draft, then there's always the chance of a classic eruption.

"Parcells' résumé," Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist Randy Galloway wrote before the 2003 draft, "tells of various general managers and personnel directors being verbally pimp-slapped due to differences in talent evaluation, wants, needs, etc."

Lacewell ran the Cowboys' drafts until he lost a clash of wills with Parcells in 2005. Ireland was promoted to replace Lacewell.

"Parcells sat back and usually pouted because he didn't get his way all the time," Lacewell said.

That said, Lacewell offered high praise for how Ireland handled Parcells' bluster.

"Jeff is quality," Lacewell said. "I know for a fact Jeff has gone against him, and trust me, he'll have to do it again.

"The problem Jeff has is that in the Dallas draft room he had Jerry and (director of player personnel) Steve Jones backing him. I don't think Wayne Huizenga will do that."

Of the most colorful moments in Parcells draft-day lore, three infamous disagreements are frequently recounted:

In 1996 with the Patriots, he reportedly wanted to draft defensive end Tony Brackens with the ninth pick. The scouts felt strongly about receiver Terry Glenn, and owner Bob Kraft backed them.

Nine months later, Parcells left the Patriots, uttering the line, "If you're going to cook the dinner, you ought to be able to at least shop for some of the groceries."

In 2003 with the Cowboys, he lobbied for Dewayne Robertson or Kevin Williams, top-rated defensive tackles, with the fifth pick. The scouting department talked Jones into taking cornerback Terence Newman.

In 2005, Parcells wanted defensive end Marcus Spears with the 11th pick. He was overruled, and the Cowboys took linebacker DeMarcus Ware instead. Spears still was on the board when the Cowboys picked again at No. 20.

Armey, who was GM of the St. Louis Rams when they won Super Bowl XXXIV, said Parcells values dissent to a point.

"His theory is if you get mad and you try to intimidate the people trying to give your best opinion," Armey said, "they're not going to give an honest opinion. He doesn't want the picks to be rubber-stamped."

After more than four months of research and internal mock drafts, the first day of a draft generally goes smoothly.

That should be especially true for the Dolphins this year. They've already drafted Michigan tackle Jake Long with the No. 1 pick, and only two rounds will be conducted.

The second day is when the real fun begins. Scouts voice their opinions with more conviction as the remaining prospects become increasingly obscure.

"The second day, that's where it really gets heavy-duty for myself and for the scouts," Ireland told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram before the 2006 draft, Parcells' last one. "Then the questions are flying in every round, and the emotions can spill over. There are some strong and healthy debates - heated arguments, you might say - on that second day."

That's why people call it a war room, a term Ireland dislikes. He prefers to call it a draft room, emphasizing the meticulous preparation that has been completed rather than the drama.

No matter what happens in Davie, once the call is placed to New York and equipment manager Joe Cimino and accountant Craig Heil answer the phone, they will hear a definitive choice.

"Some people will be in certain moods," Ireland said last week in Davie.

"Some people will pout after they don't get what they want, but at the end of the day, we'll agree we made the best pick for the Dolphins."

Archived