Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proposed solution to the QB situation

TheTotalPackage

I posted something like this in another thread some time ago but want to hear what you guys thought, so I'm putting it in the spotlight.

I would try to trade Collins to the Rams for a late round draft pick or something. Some of my friends (fellow skins fans) say we wouldn't be successful if we did propose it. If he's not even worth that, why bother keeping him? If he can't be traded outright, just cut him and take the cap hit (if there is any); and promote Colt Brennan to primary backup.

Now, I support having Jason Campbell as the starter for the time being, given the circumstances. I think the QB situation was mishandled somewhat during the offseason; and getting rid of Collins will go some ways to show him (JC) that we have at least some confidence in him.

For those who will scoff and say that CB is still green; I'm not saying CB is starter material yet, but there is already a precedent for having a 2nd year QB as the primary backup; set by the browns last season with quinn, who incidentally should be the starter going into this coming training camp. as long as TC is in the fold, it the snaps he gets are snaps that could go toward CB's development.

Now, the situation we have here is like this. We have a backup QB that is the same age as Methusela, overpaid, has had very little actual game time in his career, is part of a previous regime, specializes in an offense from this prior regime that he spent 8 years in (and is potentially more valuable to another team that actually uses it..like the rams), and has spent the same amount of time in the current system as the secondary backup, who is younger (colt brennan). The secondary backup happens to be one of the most celebrated collegiate quarterbacks in recent history and has vast potential; with talent that needs to be developed. Also, the team needs to get younger overall, which they could do by bringing in another young QB. They need to clear up cap room in order to sign their rookies, UFA and FAs. Lastly, they need to make a move that will help repair the relationship they have with the current starter. So, what do you do? Which QBs do you keep and which do you get rid of? It's really a no brainer.

Collins is there to do his job. He sits quietly, teaching CB and JC about the game (he's been a pro for about 15 years) and develops CB. He's great to have around.

i would be in total agreement with this if we were still in saunders' offense. but now, all 3 quarterbacks are on the same boat since they've all been in this offense the same amount of time, so that advantage is null (IMO)

No one on the roster has played better in an actual NFL game than Collins. So what if he looked bad in preseason last year? He never looked all that great under Gibbs in preseason either. He is the kind of backup coaches are comfortable with -- especially for just a game or two. This rush to get rid of him makes no sense. Believe me, Colt will get a lot of reps in training camp and preseason against first stringers -- it's in the team's best interest to see if he has what it takes to be a quality starter; clearly they don't have a lot of faith in JC anymore. But for now, it's also in their best interest to have a backup with real NFL experience.

So just calm down, Colt lovers. He will get his chance at some point. If you ask me, he almost couldn't be in a better situation.

Collins is at a minimum a serviceable player perhaps only as a backup.

Colt is an unknown, but has not failed thus far.

JC is a failure.

Why get rid of the serviceable player?

don't agree that JC is a failure.

the sudden animus toward JC..i really believe are McNabb's comments being vindicated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3025308&type=story

Dont start the "people hate JC cause hes black" crap.

If he played well no one would hear a word about that.

campbell only threw six interceptions all year.

if kendal doesn't suddenly want to make it on ESPN and bats the ball down instead of catching and fumbling...or if donnie avery doesn't beat torrence for a bomb, that's a win vs STL.

if sellers doesn't have a brain fart vs the bengals and just runs over the line....or if we just gave the ball to CP vs (who is it..the bengals?) that's a win.

if the defense holds or suisham makes a kick, that's a potential win vs dallas. all season we have plays like that. but when we lose, it's JC's fault? if they go the other way around, he's a playoff team QB. also don't forget the OLine breaking down and the fact that we've switched coordinators every year he's been here until this one.

i say he's at least earned the opportunity to show what he can do when he's got actual players around him and when he's acclimated to the same system the previous system before kicking him to the curb. but nooooooo...he's a failure.

I think that the plan is pretty good. The only problem that I can see is that it may be worse for JC. Right now no on is clammoring for TC to start. So as long as he has that buffer zone of TC he may be more comfortable. If you promote CB I think the shouts for him to start get even louder. Then when JC makes any mistake you have even more people wanting him out.

Dont start the "people hate JC cause hes black" crap.

If he played well no one would hear a word about that.

Not true. No matter how well he ever plays there will be some posters on here who would refuse to give him his due and the others would call those posters racist. Fact is, they would just still be JC haters and it probably would have more to do with the fact that they would refuse to eat crow and less that they are racist.

I think JC has a very good year this year and there will be many on here in the above category. Shall we see?

I think that the plan is pretty good. The only problem that I can see is that it may be worse for JC. Right now no on is clammoring for TC to start. So as long as he has that buffer zone of TC he may be more comfortable. If you promote CB I think the shouts for him to start get even louder. Then when JC makes any mistake you have even more people wanting him out.

can't say i disagree.

but think of how anderson blew up the year before last with qunn as the backup. the browns got rid of charlie frye in a similar situation

also this past year was different, however, toward the end of the season they elevated quinn. they at least gave DA the opportunity. this way JC would know it was his to lose.

How well did the Browns "precedent" work out for them? Their starter got hurt and they got stuck with essentially a rookie who made rookie mistakes. Their season tanked, though I don't blame that on Quinn.

The other difference is we're talking about a potential top 5 pick who slid but remained in the first round. Colt Brennan was a sixth round choice, and while I understand Brady and Bulger were as well there were good reasons for him to slide.

If Brennan can unseat Collins from the #2 position in camp then so be it. If we're lucky another team will have an injury and we can move Collins (that sounded horrible, I don't wish injuries upon other teams). If not keep him as the #3 in a mentor role.

I don't think it's fair to play the race card, but people are unfairly harsh on Campbell. I think it's more a factor of them being impatient and not realizing what it takes to be a good QB. Bad o-lines can make good QBs look bad. Look at David Garrard. He had a huge year in 2007, but with injuries to the o-line, they crapped out. Peyton didn't look the same without Saturday and other injuries earlier last season. In the Giants-Pats SB, Brady didn't look like Brady when his o-line wasn't effective. Then on the other hand, good o-lines can make average QBs look great, like Eli Manning.

As for Collins, I think it's good to have a long-seasoned vet for our QBs, someone who won't lose a game should an injury happen to the starter, and someone to help along the younger guys, whether or not he's an expert in the system. I don't think he costs too much, and he won't get us much in a trade for players or picks. Doesn't seem worth a 6th or 7th round pick to get rid of him.

How well did the Browns "precedent" work out for them? Their starter got hurt and they got stuck with essentially a rookie who made rookie mistakes. Their season tanked, though I don't blame that on Quinn.

The other difference is we're talking about a potential top 5 pick who slid but remained in the first round. Colt Brennan was a sixth round choice, and while I understand Brady and Bulger were as well there were good reasons for him to slide.

If Brennan can unseat Collins from the #2 position in camp then so be it. If we're lucky another team will have an injury and we can move Collins (that sounded horrible, I don't wish injuries upon other teams). If not keep him as the #3 in a mentor role.

well DA was hurt in preseason with the concussion and started poorly to begin with

they didn't start quinn until the season was half gone (3 and 5).

Just want to say how sick and tired I am of coming on here and reading through threads supporting CB as our starter...he's done nothing in the NFL. I don't understand why there is such mass support for him. He played good against a bunch of nobodies in a few preseason games, congrats to him, he flashed potential, but that's where it stops. In no way shape or form is he ready to be the starter, and if he was even close he would have at least been 2nd on the depth chart last year, which he wasn't...so it all just needs to stop.

Archived