Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Wynn Looks Lean and Mean, Thanks to Strahan

(Also in the Breaking News forum, make sure to check those articles out :thumbsup: )

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-la-canfora/renaldo-wynn-looking-lean-and.html

Wynn Looks Lean and Mean, Thanks to Strahan

Veteran defensive end Renaldo Wynn looked better ever at this minicamp. He has trimmed down considerably from his first stint here and looks cut and taut. He wasn't overweight before, but over the past year he has changed his approach to training.

Wynn, 34, was released by the Redskins before the 2007 season, and played that season with New Orleans before going to the New York Giants in 2008. The Giants have what most believe is the best defensive line in football, and Wynn said the changes he made with his technique and training have extended his career.

He hopes to share some of the tricks he learned with the Giants with his Redskins teammates, and is in line to battle Phillip Daniels for the starting spot at left end. Wynn said that Michael Strahan had the biggest impact on him, urging him to focus on quickness and to reduce to 270 pounds or so.

"I was 285-290 my whole career, and especially the last five years," Wynn said, "and Strahan said for me to get down. That's one thing I really concentrated on, and started doing last year, and it felt great. I wish I would have known this earlier, but everybody thinks bigger is better, and then you see a guy like [Giants end] Osi [umenyiora] and he's 245, and you see how he's pushing guys around ... that are 300-plus like [Dallas tackle] Flozell [Adams] and [Redskins tackle] Chris Samuels, and Strahan, I didn't know he was 250."

I like the fact that we have a lot of decent bodies at DE, but I hope we can get comparable production out of Alexander, Buzbee, and Jackson. I'd like to see them as the main ones sharing time with Orakpo instead of our older heads. That way we're getting younger and still improving.

First of, I would like to say I'm happy to hear that Wynn is in good shape and feels that he has still been able to find ways to improve his game.

Secondly, I want to know what else are they teaching up in New York where Wynn was able to learn, other than Strahan, a lot more techniques and such to help him improve. We could use some of those teachings around here.

Wynn is a quality player and a helluva technician when it comes to DL play...I think losing the weight will help him contribute to what we want him to do even more...When we play teams, we are going to give that RT a helluva look during the game...

Opposing RT's are going to have to deal with the brute strength and physicality of Daniels, The pure speed of Chris Wilson when we blitz him from the "SAM" LB position, The mix of speed and power from Orakpo, and the technique of Wynn...

Also all of these guys will be fresh too! Man for us to not have a real "SAM" LB, Coach Blache has a lot of "toys" to play with this yr...I'm pumped to see what he can come up with...

I'm really liking the feel of the team this year. It seems like this year, more than any year in recent history, the guys are working really hard. You can just sense the need for a championship around these players. I've got a good feeling.

I'm really liking the feel of the team this year. It seems like this year, more than any year in recent history, the guys are working really hard. You can just sense the need for a championship around these players. I've got a good feeling.
I"m really liking the depth of the team this year.

Except for certain O-line positions.

I'm liking both :D

Somehow, some way, come May-June I always get that feeling of hope. Damn this team! :laugh:

Somehow, some way, come May-June I always get that feeling of hope. Damn this team! :laugh:

Yep, if we could (I'm sure we could, I'm just too lazy to try) page back to the posts during the month of May, of each of the last 8 years, I'm sure the optimism would be oozing all over the pages for another run at the Super Bowl.

And yea - "damn this team".....it's their fault that we get over-hyped every offseason :laugh:

Wynn is a quality player and a helluva technician when it comes to DL play...I think losing the weight will help him contribute to what we want him to do even more...When we play teams, we are going to give that RT a helluva look during the game...

Opposing RT's are going to have to deal with the brute strength and physicality of Daniels, The pure speed of Chris Wilson when we blitz him from the "SAM" LB position, The mix of speed and power from Orakpo, and the technique of Wynn...

Also all of these guys will be fresh too! Man for us to not have a real "SAM" LB, Coach Blache has a lot of "toys" to play with this yr...I'm pumped to see what he can come up with...

It looks like things are really coming together on defense. They were a real good D last year, but with the guys weve added up front we could seriously end up having the best defense in the NFL.

It looks like things are really coming together on defense. They were a real good D last year, but with the guys weve added up front we could seriously end up having the best defense in the NFL.

Exactly...We are going to have a bevy of pass rushers, and a bevy of cover guys...They just have to put it all together!

Archived