Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we have the fastest offense in the NFL?

michael_33

Which rookie QB will see regular season game action first?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie QB will see regular season game action first?

• Carson Palmer -Cincinatti
    • Kyle Boller - Baltimore
    • Byron Leftwich - Jacksonville
    • Dave Ragone - Houston
    • Rex Grossman - Chicago
    • Chris Sims - Tampa Bay
    • Brian St. Pierre - Pittsburg
    • Seneca Wallace - Seattle

I was thinking about this the other day and wasn't going to say anything,but what the hell....

Is it quite possible that we have the fastest offense in the NFL?

Now I know Rod Gardner is a starter and is not extremely fast as well as Mccants.And Betts,Watson,B.Johnson,cartwright or any of our TE's are not very fast either...

But,with Russell coming back from injury and adding trung and coles as well as patrick johnson to the core must make you wonder.Then there's Chad Morton who sure looks fast and wouldn't be a return-man if he were slow.

So I guess my real question is,could we overwhelm defenses this year with the speed on the field and rack up and ungodly amount of points or will the coninuity still play a big role in how we accomplish things.

I know speed isn't everything,but speed sure kills!

What is your guys opinion on this matter?

interesting... but you know, i think rock is pretty fast, at least for a fullback...

4.47 is what i found...

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/45460.html

"The latter might have caused the most excitement in the final hours as running backs coach Hue Jackson strolled the hallways at Redskin Park with a big grin. Redskins coach Steve Spurrier was excited, too, about Cartwright, who is only 5-foot-7 but runs a 4.47 40-yard dash."

The Chiefs are fast with Donte Hall, Preist Holmes, Tony Gonalaz, and jonnie Mortan to a degree. I geuss you could say the Falcons are fast too, just having Vick makes that true. The Rams of coures are fast as well.

Gardner is not nearly as slow as too many of you seem to think he is. Rock is also insanely fast for his position. Where things will get interesting though is how the incredible speed of Canidate opens things up everywhere else. Now, realizing he's not a proven back and probably we shouldn't count on him to be a dominating player, the fact is, he is a guy who can be used to seriously threaten the secondary, which means running seam routes up the heart of a defense forcing the safety to account for him, and leaving the outside less pressured.

With how fast Coles is, and the ability to put speed in mismatch positions against safeties with Johnson or Russell or Canidate or even Morton through creative use of lineups, you have a team that has the right blend of exceptionally fast guys, plus guys who aren't slow and may appear to play even faster because so much pressure will be taken off due to the speed around them.

Now, whether we can get the ball to the speed players in the right position or not is a question. Whether marginal players like Canidate can lift their game to become a pass catching threat, which would open the field immeasurably is an open question. But, few teams have the ability to line up the depth of speed we can line up against slower players deep on the depth chart.

Hopefully we can keep D Mac when we want to use those fade passes when we are inside the 5yd line and need size.

Coles

Johnson

Jacobs

Russell

Three WR sets with Rock and Canidate make me wonder how it will fare on Madden in a couple of months.

Dont forget the Saints, they have a lot of speed too. With Michael Lewis, Donte Stallworth, Jerome Pathon, Deuce McAllister, and they drafted Kareem Kelly.

EditL I didnt mention Horn because I dont think he has that great of a 40 time, but he plays fast.

I think the Rams still gotta be up there.

Marshall Faulk, anyone?

The Rams have been stockpiling receivers, too, and their starters are more proven than the Redskins'.

Isaac Bruce has never been stopwatch fast, but he's still fast on the field, not to mention possibly the best route runner in the league.

Torry Holt still has some serious after burners.

Troy Edwards has been slow developing after being a first round pick, but he can definately run.

Terrence Wilkins has been disappointing as a replacement for Az-Hakim, but the guy has jets.

And the Rams added two more guys, straight line-fast Kevin Curtis and quick silver-fast Shaun McDonald, in the draft.

The Rams are still a force to be reckoned with.

The Chargers now have David Boston, Reche Caldwell, and Tim Dwight. Those guys can burn some rubber and give LaDainian Tomlinson some room turn on his jets.

I also like Shaun Alexander's ability to take it the distance in Seattle. They have Koren Robinson and Darrell Jackson to stretch defenses a bit. They have the tall, rangy Alex Bannister off the bench with his 4.3 speed. And they added Seneca Wallace to the mix with the draft.

And I think the 1-2 punch of Randy Moss and Michael Bennett can't be discounted. Nobody's really stepped up across from Moss, but guys like D'Wayne Bates and Kelly Campbell can run. And they added Nate Burleson in the draft, who isn't fast by the stopwatch but sure can run and get open when he's on the field.

Overall, I think the Skins HAVE upgraded their speed quite a bit, and it stacks up with what you might see around the league. But pure speed isn't everything. Pittsburgs' group, with Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Antwaan Randle El outside and Jerome Bettis, Amos Zereoue, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala running the ball, might not win a track meet, but was any group more productive?

Where the Skins don't stack up is productivity. That remains to be seen.

As far as timed-speed is concerned, keep in mind that both Gardner and McCants have been timed in the 4.4 range. So neither player is necessarily slow. They tend to have decelptive speed, partly because of their size, which would infer that they should or would be slow, because they are 6'2"+ and in the 220 lb range. Also, I think you have to take into consideration the difference between "fast" and "quick" on the football field, in addition

~B.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Hopefully we can keep D Mac when we want to use those fade passes when we are inside the 5yd line and need size.

Coles

Johnson

Jacobs

Russell

Three WR sets with Rock and Canidate make me wonder how it will fare on Madden in a couple of months.

Madden always seems to slight our players a tad. Coles had 100 speed for the Jets 2 years ago. I bet he goes down to 92 just because he is on the skins.:rolleyes:

Archived