Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JC doesn't have the TOUCH on his deep ball...What???

SkinsfanFL

What does TOUCH have to do with a 40 yard pass? TOUCH is what you need on a downhill putt on a slippery green. TOUCH is important when participating in egg toss. TOUCH is what you need to be a massage therapist. Not a quarterback.

If the ball hits you in the hands, shouldn't an NFL receiver be able to catch it! Is it the near perfect spiral JC throws on the long ball that loses it's TOUCH somewhere between the time it leaves his hand and hits his receivers? What are you guys talking about? Does Favre's 40 yard “wobbly bullet” have TOUCH?

Can you guys/gals that complain about JC's TOUCH even throw the ball 20 yards, let alone 40? TOUCH is impossible on a long throw with a real football...Maybe your thinking about the perfect TOUCH you had when you played football...NERF Football.

:point2sky

HTTR

I think touch is much more important with those five yard bullets. Knowing exactly how much power you need to get it there and yet make it catchable. A qb does need to have a "feel" for placing a deep ball, but I agree touch is the wrong verb. Jason's touch or feel for the deep pass is decent, but he's no 1986 Jay Schroeder.

What brought this rant on? Never heard any concerns about Campbelll's touch on long throws. Just the short stuff.

Yep, his long ball is one of his better throws actually. Its his finesse on short to mid range passes that needs work. he usually "tosses" those a yard or two too high or in front. His short pass "Bullets" need a little touch as well. I think the power he throws his short passes with contributes to the WR's dropped passes.

I think touch is much more important with those five yard bullets. Knowing exactly how much power you need to get it there and yet make it catchable. A qb does need to have a "feel" for placing a deep ball, but I agree touch is the wrong verb. Jason's touch or feel for the deep pass is decent, but he's no 1986 Jay Schroeder.
Thank you.

/thread

He doesn't. He may have an arm but he throws a terrible deep ball. When Moss got 1 on 1 even limp armed 87 year old Brunell knew throw it high, short and outside and let Moss adjust to it. The underthrown deep ball is the hardest for a defender to defend. Moss usually caught them and if not, there's almost zero chance for an INT. I have never once seen JC make that throw. Not once. All his deep balls are 60 yards bullets with no arc on them. He makes Moss stretch for them in full stride. It's an easier throw for the defender and a tougher throw for Moss. It doesn't look like it on TV but the full stride, over the head deep ball is a really, really tough catch. JC has no touch on his deep balls. He needs to place them better and put them out there with less velocity and more lift. But that he means he's got to read the play quicker and get the ball out quicker.

What does TOUCH have to do with a 40 yard pass? TOUCH is what you need on a downhill putt on a slippery green. TOUCH is important when participating in egg toss. TOUCH is what you need to be a massage therapist. Not a quarterback.

If the ball hits you in the hands, shouldn't an NFL receiver be able to catch it! Is it the near perfect spiral JC throws on the long ball that loses it's TOUCH somewhere between the time it leaves his hand and hits his receivers? What are you guys talking about? Does Favre's 40 yard “wobbly bullet” have TOUCH?

Can you guys/gals that complain about JC's TOUCH even throw the ball 20 yards, let alone 40? TOUCH is impossible on a long throw with a real football...Maybe your thinking about the perfect TOUCH you had when you played football...NERF Football.

HTTR

I thought "touch" was laying off the speed on the short passes. Unlike say Favre's tendency to throw cannon shots short. No complaints about Campbell there.

I don't know if "touch" is the right word, but JC doesn't have a good long ball. He throws it too flat. There should be a lot of air under a good long ball, and it should land nose down. When thrown on target, it's impossible to cover. It's amazing that JC has the arm to throw a 45-yard pass on a line, but it does allow for the defender to knock it down. It is also much harder to be accurate with a flat long pass (and JC isn't even very accurate on short passes). It's not in the air very long, so the receiver can't adjust to it.

Yeah, sorry, we're all fans, but he really doesn't have a great deep ball.

HTTR

-Are you being serious? Look at a good qb manning/brady long ball, it has air under it. It doesn't come out so flat that the WR can't run under the ball. Campbell ball is flat and often not to the outside shoulder, which allows DB's a better chance at the ball then the WR.

Yep, his long ball is one of his better throws actually. Its his finesse on short to mid range passes that needs work. he usually "tosses" those a yard or two too high or in front. His short pass "Bullets" need a little touch as well. I think the power he throws his short passes with contributes to the WR's dropped passes.

Yes Jason throws one of the better long balls in the NFL....

its just that he can never hit anyone. His throws are either too short or too long. He needs so much work on accuracy. This is why he is such a GREAT short toss QB. His 60 percent passing percentage is all about being 70% from 5-7 yards. He gets a failing mark for those throws over 15 yards because he is at less than 50 percent.

I only remember 2 deep balls he successfully completed last season and those were on breakdowns in the pass rush when he was forced to throw it quick and as far as he could. On a straight timing route, he has been terrible and I expect him to improve or the Skins will not improve.

He doesn't. He may have an arm but he throws a terrible deep ball. When Moss got 1 on 1 even limp armed 87 year old Brunell knew throw it high, short and outside and let Moss adjust to it. The underthrown deep ball is the hardest for a defender to defend. Moss usually caught them and if not, there's almost zero chance for an INT. I have never once seen JC make that throw. Not once. All his deep balls are 60 yards bullets with no arc on them. He makes Moss stretch for them in full stride. It's an easier throw for the defender and a tougher throw for Moss. It doesn't look like it on TV but the full stride, over the head deep ball is a really, really tough catch. JC has no touch on his deep balls. He needs to place them better and put them out there with less velocity and more lift. But that he means he's got to read the play quicker and get the ball out quicker.

The underthrown deep ball? What? Your right, the underthrown deep ball is difficult to defend (because it's a bad pass, unless he meant to do it) but what is your reaction when the throw is underthrown and the receiver has a couple of steps on the coverage? Question...Have any of his receivers ever said JC's ball is difficult to catch?

Archived