Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT 360: Jansen at Center

SkinsGuy

I believe he was practicing some at center last year too, just because we never really had a backup there. I dont think hes vying for Rabach's job. I'd like to see Edwin Williams make the team as the backup center, but if he doesnt we are going to need someone to be ready in case Casey goes down.

Jansen did work out at Center last year. He will be on the 2009 roster whether he starts at ORT or not. This allows him to potentially be backup at multiple positions, meaning more valuable to the team and possibly opening up an extra roster spot at another position.

As for Edwin Williams, I am more excited in his addition to the team than some of the late draft picks. However I am expecting him to begin the year on the PS.

Jansen did work out at Center last year. He will be on the 2009 roster whether he starts at ORT or not. This allows him to potentially be backup at multiple positions, meaning more valuable to the team and possibly opening up an extra roster spot at another position.

As for Edwin Williams, I am more excited in his addition to the team than some of the late draft picks. However I am expecting him to begin the year on the PS.

You're right. Jansen's cap number alone makes it almost impossible for the team to cut him. So making use of him any way possible is probably a good thing.

If Buges can turn Jansen into a backup at Center and Guard, and get Mike Williams to be a starting RT, then he will have earned his money this off season. Both are going to be tough...

Jansen won't be with the Redskins the next time you see the team in the Super Bowl.

The team will get there when it finally learns not to put itself in a position where they are paying a 33 year old backup $6 or $7M a season to remain on the roster.

Just a guess that Indy, NE and Pittsburgh - recent NFL champs haven't been in that position.

Old News, yes, but if Jansen can master the art of center he will keep himself around and be active for game days.

Also, I bet Jansen can block better than our current center. Run blocking was not his issue last season. He just lost a step in pass protection. However, now he is going against slower interior lineman.

He also knows the offense and knows the calls.

They did the same thing last year.

Purely for depth.

Wouldn't read too much into it.

Yes, but last year he failed. If Jansen wants to stay on the team past this year he needs to become more versatile. Especially, considering his current contract. Having him around just to back up at RT is not good business sense.

Archived