Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Skins average 5 more points per game in 09'...

SkinsfanFL

Hopefully because Orakpo, Carter and Haynesworth are obliterating QB's.

plus horton with another year under his belt.

landry can get over the hit by jacobs and his brother being really hurt and almost paralyzed.

and D Hall back there gobbling up INTs.

It actually shouldn't be that hard either. There are just three ifs

A) Can the oline hold up

B) Can we develop a second threat

C) Can Zorn/Campbell up their game on game day

I'm most worried about the o line and Zorn. He needs to regain his swagger and develop the ability to adjust to their adjustments.

I would think this would be true for a lot of teams :)

yeah, that's what i'm saying. IF the redskins were able to hit that, I would guarantee a 14-2 season. But the way the team is now, I say their an 8-8 or 9-7 team.

The thing people need to keep in mind is the onus isnt JUST on our offense to do this. Our defense needs to create takeaways and provide our offense with good field position.

If your D stops teams on your own 45 every possession, and avoids points thats great. But if the offense starts on the 10 and has 90 yds to drive every possession because of that...no so great.

Sorry to rain on your guys parade, but I'm going to give you some facts.

I keep seeing references to the Skins having the fourth ranked defense in the NFL last year. Do you know that the Eagles had the 3rd ranked defense and that that the Giants had the fifth ranked defense. Dallas, by the way, had the 8th ranked defense. These four teams allowed anywhere from 274 yards a game (Phil) to 294 yards a game (Dallas). So, there is not much meaning to the fourth ranked defense argument, at least in terms of the NFC East. To boot, Skins actually gave up more points per game than the Eagles and Giants. Isn't that the real bottom line?

As for the Skins scoring 5 to 7 more points per game on average, just look at the state of the OL. How many times do you think Campbell will meet the turf on opening day in the Meadowlands on 9/13? Osi is back, Tuck, Kiwi, and a host of new free agent and drafted pass rushers. "You can never have too many pass rushers."

It actually shouldn't be that hard either. There are just three ifs

A) Can the oline hold up

Nope, not happening unless we truely get some very good luck on our side. I see this being the problem this team doesn't get over this year

B) Can we develop a second threat

This I see as a definite possibility. Maybe I'm being too optomistic here but I see Devin stepping up huge this year and maybe one of the guys we invited to camp takes a roster spot from JT and can be productive. I think we won't have a problem getting a WR or two to step up. I think the problem we won't be able to get over is Jason having time to throw the ball.

C) Can Zorn/Campbell up their game on game day

Don't see a problem with either of these. Jason's advertising himself to his next team this year. I bet he has his best season ever in the NFL this year. I just don't think unless he turns into a McNabb type passer who takes off and runs alot that it's going to be enough. Zorn gets a pass from me because of how difficult it would be to game plan when your offensive line only gives the QB 2 seconds before the defense is on his back.

I'm most worried about the o line and Zorn. He needs to regain his swagger and develop the ability to adjust to their adjustments.

Offensive line is our biggest issue. Again how do you make adjustments when a third rate DE is able to beat your offensive line every single play? And with the defenses we have in this devision that seems like an impossible order in my eyes. I predict another 8-8 year

The O-line is my biggest concern. RT is a real question, as is RG. Thomas has been hurt recently and his play is starting to drop. Jansen shouldnt even be playing with the starters, and Heyer needs to raise his game or we'll have serious problems there. Rabach is a smart player but gets run over by big DT's and NG's (and playing at 285, that should be somewhat expected). I think our left side is pretty solid, but our right side could be a big, gaping hole.

Magic Number = 20 ppg, we averaged 16.6, IF we can atleast get 19 to 20 ppg we will be in great shape...

Disagree. Magic number is 24ppg. That's 10-6, 11-5 territory. And it shouldn't be THAT hard. I mean, it's 4 scores, 1 per quarter.

They basically need to convert 1 FG per game into a TD, and one more score.

They CAN. Will they?

That's the million dollar question.

What changes have been made this offseason on the offensive side of the ball that makes you believe that a jump is possible?

Is it the broken down OL getting a year older?

The skill position players with another year of wear and tear?

Campbell performing because Danny has no faith in him?

Getting an additional 5 ppg will take some work, but it is not unrealistic. Another year under Zorn's offense and the offensive rookies we drafted in 08' contributing to this team, would make it very possible..We will see, how confident were the Cardinals fans last year at this time? And by the way Steelers averaged only 21 ponts per game last year, and they didn't do too bad...Always believe in your Skins, always

HTTR

Let me take a stab... How about:

2nd year in the offense means big improvement in execution

Campbell has the same system two years in a row (for like the first time in his career)

Devin Thomas steps up BIG (I feel this is coming)

Huge upgrades on defense means the offense gets lots more chances

I'm not saying its guaranteed but there are plenty of reasons for hope.

So, we need to score 80 more points over the entire season... Or 30% more points than we scored last year... and then we'll be a super bowl contending team... You are probably saying this because Pittsburgh scored 5.1 points per game more than we did last year... They finished with the 20th ranked scoring offense. Still, they weren't exactly picked to win it all last year. It kind of fell into their laps. SD was a tough match, but Baltimore and Arizona weren't exactly the most difficult road to the Super Bowl someone could've dreamed up. I think we could've beaten the Cardinals in the Super Bowl, no matter how well they were playing at the time. A lot of luck has to happen to be a mediocre team like the Steelers and wind up with the Championship. Arizona... I mean... if Arizona hadn't thrown a really stupid goal-line interception for a TD at the end of the 1st half, we'd be talking about having to score 10 points more per game. :)

21 ppg is not a dominating offense by any stretch of the imagination. But, scoring that many points per game will win enough games during the regular season to get the Skins into the playoffs...This, along with the possibility of the defense being "special" would make this team a difficult match up for anyone.

HTTR

2nd year in the offense means big improvement in execution

Campbell has the same system two years in a row (for like the first time in his career)

That's a lie. 2006-2007 was Saunders. If anything, they had to scale the playbook back because even in 2007, Campbell couldn't run the entire thing.

Archived