Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS4Denver: "I Don't Get It [Denver Taking Moreno When They Could've Taken Orakpo]"

goldenster95

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.denver.broncos.2.994567.html

Rivers On Broncos Draft: 'I Don't Get It'

Reggie Rivers

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Like many Broncos fans, I simply don't get it.

Heading into the NFL Draft, I assumed that the Broncos would focus on improving their defensive front seven. The "D" has been their weak spot for the past three seasons, and it was the reason that Mike Shanahan got fired.

The Jay Cutler traded netted the Broncos two first round picks, so they really had an opportunity to use both of them to get impact players on their defensive front.

When Denver was on the clock to make it's selection at the 12th overall pick, most of us figured that Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo would be putting on a Broncos cap. He's a dominant player, one of the highest rated in the draft, and he would instantly make the Broncos defense better.

Instead, Josh McDaniels chose Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno and all most of us in Bronco Country could do is scratch our heads.

There's no question that Moreno is a good player, but do the Broncos need another running back—especially a running back at the 12th overall pick? During the off-season, they signed free agent running backs J.J. Arrington, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan. Plus they have Selvin Young, Ryan Torrain and Peyton Hillis returning from the previous administration. So the running back position is covered.

So why in the world did the Broncos pass on a talent like Orakpo and take Moreno? The Redskins, who had the 13th selection, couldn't believe their good luck. After Denver took Moreno, Washington used only about 30 seconds of its allotted time to snatch up Orakpo.

At the 18TH pick the Broncos did select defensive end Robert Ayers out of Tennessee, so that was a relief, but it feels like a missed opportunity to not come out of the first rought with both Orakpo and Ayers.

Well, Denver might not be able to rely on Orton alone (shocker), so they decided to go with some consistency at the RB position and get a guy who can help in the run game as well as the pass game. Several of those Denver RBs won't make the final roster, and a bunch of them have durability concerns.

So I understand why they made the pick. That being said, I'm very glad they made that pick so we could get Orakpo.

Moreno is going to be a beast. They need to stop complaining. He is going to relieve a lot of pressure off the scrub QB's on that roster.

The stupidest thing they probably did was to trade a future first rounder straight up for a second round pick this year. That's what they need to be complaining about.

The only thing I'm wondering about the whole situation is what Vinny told us when he said that he called the Broncos up to switch places so we could nab Orakpo, and they told him "You'll get your guy". To me, it's so interesting because it's like they're being nice, ya know? They could've totally went along and got what they could from us, and still got their guy. I didn't know there was such a thing as kindness in the NFL? Maybe they did it for leverage later. They could tell us "hey, we helped you out there" when bargaining with us for someone else down the road.

Maybe something else is going on there... who knows?

Well, Denver might not be able to rely on Orton alone (shocker), so they decided to go with some consistency at the RB position and get a guy who can help in the run game as well as the pass game. Several of those Denver RBs won't make the final roster, and a bunch of them have durability concerns.

So I understand why they made the pick. That being said, I'm very glad they made that pick so we could get Orakpo.

yeah they need 7 runningbacks.

and isnt their oline so amazing that they can plug in anybody? so why did they need another runningback?

a RB at 12 was retarded, im glad they did it cause we got orakpo, but that was dumb on their parts, and you better believe most broncos fans are not happy about it.

The only thing I'm wondering about the whole situation is what Vinny told us when he said that he called the Broncos up to switch places so we could nab Orakpo, and they told him "You'll get your guy". To me, it's so interesting because it's like they're being nice, ya know? They could've totally went along and got what they could from us, and still got their guy. I didn't know there was such a thing as kindness in the NFL? Maybe they did it for leverage later. They could tell us "hey, we helped you out there" when bargaining with us for someone else down the road.

Maybe we already helped them out...

The draft for the Broncos clearly showed that McDaniels had very little input or experience in how drafts were done in NE.

It almost appeared that he was trying to ape what Pioli and Bellichek do but just doesn't understand why they do it.

Speaking of which, it's going to be interesting how the Chiefs and Patriots do from here on out. Just from reading various draft interviews, Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli's philosophies differ quite a bit. We've already seen the Patriots trade Hobbs for two fifth rounders and a franchised quarterback in demand for a mere second rounder...

Remember, Pioli was the man who drafted Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis...

yeah they need 7 runningbacks.

and isnt their oline so amazing that they can plug in anybody? so why did they need another runningback?

a RB at 12 was retarded, im glad they did it cause we got orakpo, but that was dumb on their parts, and you better believe most broncos fans are not happy about it.

I already addressed the myriad of RBs by saying that most of them won't make the final roster anyways. And yeah, Denver certainly needed them last year when RB after RB was getting injured.

And no, their OL was amazing a couple seasons ago with Shanny, not so much anymore as evidenced by the fact no RB as stepped up as "the guy" since CP left.

Like I said, they obviously don't want to be reliant on Orton, so they get a very solid RB who can help in both the run and pass game. Just because you disagree with the move doesn't make it "retarded." In fact, I could say someone dismissing a pick just 1 day after the draft is "retarded."

I agree they certainly didnt need yet another RB although all 100 of them went down last year... Over at their msg boards I was surprised that a couple really wanted him to begin with. Plus they had another pick to use soon after.

My first thought is, they owe us for helping raise the price on Cutler??:whoknows:

Who knows if Moreno will pan out or not, but the fact that they declined to switch spots with the Redskins make the Broncos idiots.

THIS! A MILLION TIMES THSI!

"Oh you wanna trade? gimme your fifth rounder too". how could you be so stupid to NOT do that?

I think McDaniels simply felt like if the offense sputtered this year, his ass was out the door lol...trading away a franchise QB for Orton was not too smart, and God help him if Campbell has a great year. McDaniels needed to try and help guarantee Orton have as successful season as possible, so he got a stud running back to help take pressure off of his QB, and more importantly to help take pressure off himself.

I doubt it was 'kindness'.

It was probably more mistrust.

Or it could just be that they aren't that smart. For example, the media seemed to sniff out that their interest in Sanchez was a smokescreen, and I don't even get why they tried it when they selected a player who was in no danger of getting selected before them.

Meanwhile, we seemed to have executed it to perfection and we ended up getting one of the players we wanted.

I think it was a smart move for them. They got a stud running back and what some consider to be the best true DE in the draft.

Agreed. Maybe they could have gotten Moreno at 18, but probably not. That guys stock was shooting up, probably more than anyone not named Sanchez.

Ayers is a fantastic pick, and Moreno gives them a chance to have a home run hitter at RB. I dont know what Bronco fans were watching last year, but Selvin Young and Peyton Hillis didnt get it done, and since when is Lamont Jordan or Buckhalter a stud?

Good move for the Broncos, good move for the Skins.

We would really have to know all the circumstances but guys i cant imagine that call took place with 10 minutes on the clock. Vinny could have called at 2:30 left to swing a last minute pressure deal and the Broncos just said guys our pick is already going in, you missed it. They could have had a friendly conversation from there and Denver said we're taking Moreno, Vinny said we wanted Orakpo, and they said well youll get your guy.

I dont see the benefit of Vinny bringing it up, thats all.

I've spent some time thinking about it, and look who was available at our pick:

Michael Oher OT

Brian Orakpo DE

Rey Maulaluga MLB

Brian Cushing OLB

Its possible they figured we wanted one of those 4 and they already knew they were going to take moreno, and there was little point in trading down one spot.

Oh well. :D They definitely should have taken Orakpo. I couldn't believe Denver didn't take him. But fans in Buffalo are upset they didn't take him also. Maybin's and Orakpo's will be compared from that standpoint and even Moreno's because of what Denver could have done.

Archived