Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official UDFA Thread (Updated with List of Players signed so far).

tml6157

Guys, we have a UDFA thread lol, this should have gone there...

I was going to merge it, and still might,but considering the rioting in the streets we've had over lack of attention to the oline,figured I would leave it alone for now. Maybe save a few cars from being turned over.

Everything I read on Brennan, er, Daniel says his arm is 'average at best.'

I watched plenty of games in 2007 of his and he has a strong arm. He's one of those guys you just have to watch on the field, he sucks at combines and crap like that but he passes the eye test. Just wait till preseason and you'll see

Derek Walker DE, Illinois

6'4", 268

Strengths:

Solid athlete...Adequate height and bulk with long arms...Very good strength...Stout at the point of attack...Does a terrific job against the run...Pretty instinctive...Aggressive with a great motor...Experienced.

Weaknesses:

Isn't very fast or quick and lacks a burst...Not real fluid or agile...Does not offer much as a pass rusher...Struggles in pursuit...Doesn't have much upside..Bit of a 'tweener...May not be an ideal fit for every team.

Notes:

Four-year starter for the Fighting Illini...A Freshman All-American in 2005...Was named Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a senior...Could fit as a left defensive end in a 4-3 or a five-technique in a 3-4...Battle tested prospect who could compete for a backup job at the next level.

Link

Edwin Williams C, Maryland

6'2", 308

Strengths:

Good height and bulk...Pretty long arms...Quick and agile with nice balance...Stout at the point of attack...Smart with good awareness...A good work ethic...Team leader...Durable...Lots of big-time experience.

Weaknesses:

Not a great athlete...Heavy feet...Range is limited...Not a natural knee bender...Has some trouble sustaining blocks...Lacks a dominant initial punch...Struggles with quickness and speed...May lack a killer instinct.

Notes:

Attended DeMatha High School where he also played basketball for one of the top programs in the country...Redshirted in 2004...Played extensively as a backup in 2005...Took over a starting job in 2006 and didn't miss a game the rest of his career...Was named 1st Team All-ACC as a senior...Two-time Academic All-ACC honoree...Member of the Terrapin Council, the team's leadership committee...Average physical tools but his intangibles could give him a chance to win a job.

Link

This many Maryland linemen scares the crap out of me. I know that won't make me popular with Terp fans... But they couldn't even win the ACC... Now they're supposed to win in the NFL?

That said, these guys are going to be deep depth or fodder (Some of them, anyways). Some will stick. :)

Would like us to give Andy Kemp from Wisconsin a look. 6'5" 313. Has played left and right guard. A few weeks ago walterfootball.com had him mocked to us in the 3rd round.

Overview

Kemp was a mainstay at left guard the past three years at Wisconsin, having a 20-game starting streak snapped in 2007 after he suffered a left hand fracture vs. Penn State. Without Kemp in the lineup for three games as a junior, the offense struggled, especially in pass protection, as the front wall gave up 10 sacks alone to the Ohio State defense. When he returned to action, he was part of a line shuffle, taking over right guard duties with incumbent Kraig Urbik shifting to right tackle.

Compares To: NICK KACZUR, New England -- Even though he plays in a power-blocking scheme and despite the fact that some pro teams might consider him at offensive tackle, Kemp is better as a guard, as he is more productive competing in a phone booth and in unison with his center rather than being isolated out on the edge. He is a lumbering mover heading upfield and does struggle to maintain position vs. the speedier opponent. He is quite effective widening the rush lanes with his straight-line charge, but while he showed marked improvement in pass protection as a senior, he is better served in an active ground game. He can hold ground vs. the bull rush, but only when he plays with a wide base and keeps his pad level down. When he narrows his base and gets tall in his stance, the power rushers have good success rocking him back on his heels.

Archived