Extremeskins

WB: Meet Brian Orakpo, the man the Broncos were too stupid to draft

bubba9497

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/04/meet_brian_orakpo_the_man_the.php

Click link for entire article

Meet Brian Orakpo, the man the Broncos were too stupid to draft

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Video Link

Watching the NFL draft during the Mike Shanahan era was consistently frustrating, since the team regularly made odd personnel choices, far too many of which didn't work out (Maurice Clarett, anyone?). For that reason, a lot of us were looking forward to the first draft since the arrival of a regime fronted by coach Josh McDaniels, in the hope that the new guys would have a keener eye for talent. And while it's too soon to render judgment, the earliest sign -- the number twelve pick -- doesn't bode well. Everyone knows the Broncos desperately need defensive help, and stud Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo was still available. So what did the Josh crew do? Snatched up Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno, who many draft prognosticators saw going in the first round's twenty-to-thirty range -- and the Broncos had the number eighteen pick, too.

The Washington Redskins, who drafted thirteenth, were so thrilled that Orakpo was still available that they took about ten seconds of their time on the clock to select him. As you eyeball the ESPN SportsCenter profile of Orakpo above, contemplate what it would have been like to see him in Broncos orange -- and wonder aloud if McDaniels is just as iffy at this evaluation stuff as Shanahan was.

Definitely a huge steal for us, the closer I got the more I was like there's no way he's going to fall to us. I cannot believe the Broncos didn't take him, especially with Raji off the board. I can't wait to see him in the burgundy and gold.

We owe the Broncos a thank you card.

What's worse for them, if the reports are true, Vinny was going to trade with them to make sure we could get Orakpo and Denver told him "Don't worry about it you're going to get your guy"

Amazing.

they could of robbed us.

What's worse for them, if the reports are true, Vinny was going to trade with them to make sure we could get Orakpo and Denver told him "Don't worry about it you're going to get your guy"

Amazing.

And why the hell wouldn't the Broncos still make a deal?! We didn't know who THEIR guy was. Oh well, sucks for them. Very happy to have Rak in BG.

Amazing.

That blew my mind when I read that earlier.

Denver had the obvious opportunity to turn us around and bend us over and said "nah". Knowing our FO, they could have weaseled our third rounder just to swap one spot. Even if Vinny's statement wasn't true, Denver KNEW who we wanted and could've swapped, AND still gotten their guy. Sucks to be them.

And why the hell wouldn't the Broncos still make a deal?! We didn't know who THEIR guy was. Oh well, sucks for them. Very happy to have Rak in BG.

That's why I still have to add "if the reports are true" because it's just not logical.

Somebody right behind you is afraid that you're going to pick the player they want and are trying to bribe you into not taking him by offering "x" and you tell them "nah it's okay you're going to get your guy" is just brain dead.

That's why I still have to add "if the reports are true" because it's just not logical.

Somebody right behind you is afraid that you're going to pick the player they want and are trying to bribe you into not taking him by offering "x" and you tell them "nah it's okay you're going to get your guy" is just brain dead.

maybe he looked at the deals the two teams have made in the past and worried that pipeline would close up.

Archived