Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Tidbits (PFW/Sporting News): Skins/NFC East/Misc.

Pro Football Weekly:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2009/Round1Picks.htm

Pick-by-pick analysis

By Nolan Nawrocki

13 (13) Washington — DE Brian Orakpo, Texas

With Jason Taylor being released, the Redskins needed to upgrade their pass rush. Orakpo not only possesses the first-step explosiveness to become a factor terrorizing the quarterback, he has the strength defensive coordinator Greg Blache desires to play physical and leverage the run. With Albert Haynesworth and Orakpo getting after the quarterback, the Redskins are creating a pass rush to compete with the Giants' feared front.

19 (19) Philadelphia (from Tampa Bay through Cleveland) — WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri

The Eagles clearly recognized great value, as Maclin surprisingly slipped to the 19th slot and likely would have been scooped up by a team in need of a big-time receiver with Braylon Edwards on the trading block. The Browns could regret trading this pick in the long run but clearly have another receiver targeted and continue to execute their strategy of accumulating additional picks, having started the day with only five and now having 10, with three veterans included. Maclin could turn out to be a steal at this slot for the Eagles and has to make Donovan McNabb very happy.

29 (29) New York Giants — WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

The Giants needed a big, strong target to replace Plaxico Burress, whose absence noticeably affected the Giants in the playoffs last season, and they found one in Nicks. He has huge hands, competes hard for the ball and plays hard. Questions about his work ethic and weight fluctuations in the postseason concerned some teams enough to remove him from consideration, but Tom Coughlin is a disciplined taskmaster who should be able to keep him focused.

Sporting News

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=542597

NFL draft, Day 1: Winners and losers

Winners

• Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. First Brett Favre, now Sanchez: This guy knows how to land the big fish. (!!! lol...When's the last time Snyder got a "winner" label for "landing the big fish"?)

• Eagles offense. A week after trading for Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin falls to them at No. 19, and they get Pitt running back LeSean McCoy in the second round.

"I thought he would be gone long before he got to us," Eagles coach Andy Reid said of Maclin.

Losers

• Jerry Jones, owner/G.M., Cowboys. He traded away his second-round pick and did not have a first-rounder. For a guy who loves being in the action, this draft had to drive him crazy.

Here are 10 other nuggets from Day 1:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4100869

3. The ghosts of Mike Williams and other former Texas players had a major impact in the middle of the first round. Williams, the former No. 1 pick, was a huge bust in Buffalo. Despite that, the Bills spent $8 million a year for guard Derrick Dockery, another Texas product. He was released in the offseason. So the Bills decided not to take Texas linebacker Brian Orakpo at No. 11 because of the Texas Two-Step disaster. Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins said: "Come on down!" They drafted Orakpo and signed Dockery and Williams. The Redskins are hooked on the Longhorns.

4. When it comes to a big deal, you must hand it to Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. (!!! Again...see above lol) He made one of the huge deals of the 2008 offseason by acquiring Brett Favre. On Saturday, the Jets beat out Redskins owner Dan Snyder for Mark Sanchez, and Tannenbaum was able to do it without giving up the Jets' first-round pick next year. That he was able to do so shows the value of having players on your roster who can appeal to another coach. The Jets acquired the fifth pick in the draft from Cleveland (and former Jets coach Eric Mangini) for their first-round pick, their second-round pick (No. 52) and defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam and quarterback Brett Ratliff.

5. Denver rookie head coach Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team. He signed three running backs in free agency and drafted another (Knowshon Moreno). And then he sent Denver's first-round choice in 2010 to Seattle for this year's 37th overall choice, which he used to pick cornerback Alphonso Smith. That's bizarre. Mike Shanahan must be laughing at that one. (But he said Orton was better than Campbell, so we must all bow down to his football wisdom!)

9. No player in the draft will have more pressure on him than Hakeem Nicks of the New York Giants. He's going to be asked to be the instant replacement for Plaxico Burress, who was counted on for five catches and about 80 yards a game, particularly in the first month of the season. Give Giants GM Jerry Reese credit for being patient and getting a receiver as talented as Nicks at the 29th pick. But the Giants' season could depend on how quickly Nicks develops a receiving relationship with Eli Manning. The Giants elected not to trade a No. 1 pick to get Braylon Edwards from Cleveland.

On Saturday, the Jets beat out Redskins owner Dan Snyder for Mark Sanchez

Or did he? It's not clear how much genuine interest Snyder had in Sanchez. The whole thing seems to have been a smoke-screen to me. Which is fine, because it was one component in the machinations that landed us Orakpo at 13. :point2sky

Or did he? It's not clear how much genuine interest Snyder had in Sanchez. The whole thing seems to have been a smoke-screen to me. Which is fine, because it was one component in the machinations that landed us Orakpo at 13. :point2sky

Listening to Vinny today it sounded like they did want to go up, but that they didn't have the ammo to match the Jets since Mangini wanted his players back and the Snyder wasn't going to budge on not moving next year's first.

Listening to Vinny today it sounded like they did want to go up, but that they didn't have the ammo to match the Jets since Mangini wanted his players back and the Snyder wasn't going to budge on not moving next year's first.

I agree...and I further think that since the Skins didn't have too much to use as trade bait (since next year's 1st was off the table), the Jets were probably the only team seriously wanting the #5 pick for Sanchez. So you could say they were bidding against themselves, much like many here keep saying Snyder and Vinny do lol :yes:...

Per Coach Zorn

On if the Redskins tried to trade up:

"There were talks. There are just talks all the time. It's one team calling, but it's not even about that pick. We're talking all over the draft board and all over our draft slots. Yeah, there were several calls, but it has to be right and in these situations, I mean the phone calls we had, it wasn't the right choice for us. It wasn't the right situation for us to do anything and we remained there hoping and hoping. There were some tense moments because we said, 'Oh for sure. He's gone here. He's going here.' And then he fell to us."

On if it will be nice to move on with Jason Campbell:

"Yeah, I think that things were a little bit of a roller coaster with the whole situation through the media, through real or unreal situations with Cutler and the stuff about Mark Sanchez as well. I just feel like we stayed true to what we were planning and didn't try to ride it with everybody else."

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/04/25/coach-zorn-talks-brian-orakpo/#continued

I was very impressed with the moves they didn't make- trading too much to get Sanchez, jumping too soon to chase Rak, trading away next year's picks to get back in the 2nd round, etc.

It is still too soon to declare that the FO has turned the corner but, aside from the tin-foil-hat crowd, I think we can agree that things look encouraging.

Snyder and Vinny actually deserve some credit for not trading away next year's first round pick to get Sanchez. I'd have been really happy to get Sanchez too, but not so happy about giving up so much to get him.

I think Snyder thought really hard and decided that if this was truly a make or break year for Zorn and Campbell then he needs to save next years 1st just in case a new regime is brought in. I couldnt be happier about Snyder and Vinny yesterday even though I was a major Sanchez supporter.

bubba~

Zorn better be hoping that JC has great season, because if he doesn't they're both gone.

Exactly, and Zorn knows this just like we do. His first and only chance at being a very good head coach in the NFL is in someone elses hands, Jason Campbells. They will go to war together and will ride out of Washington together if JC can't take the next step.

I don't thinks the Skins were ever trying to move up to get dirty Sanchez. I think they were trying to move up to get Orakpo and he ended up falling to them. I truly believe the Skins rode the Sanchez wave so it would bolsteer the draft stock of one player while taking the attention off the player that they want.

Yesterday made me a happy Skins fan. Lets see what they do today. If we see some Oline and LBs, I'll be elated.

First off regardless of how or why Orakpo got to the Skins at 13 that was awesome.

Secondly I think being the majority of us see Zorn and Campbells future tied together, Snyderatto did not want to give up a potentially (if we have a bad season which I hope we do not) high 1st for a qb that will have a new coach if the Zorn Campbell combo does not work. Snyderatto can give that pick to their next flavor of the year coach so they can pick thier qb.

By not mortgaging next years pick Snyder sends an even stronger message to Zorn and Campbell : make it work or else.

IMO Zorn deserves 3 years, come on let a coach stay his term unless he pulls a Lions 0 -16 which is impossible.

Being a Tar Heel fan, I did not want Hakeem Nicks to end up in our division. he is not a burner per say, but he will catch everything close to him, EVERYTHING! I am not looking forward to those matchups.

They said the same thing about Rod Gardner when he came out.... a big physical receiver who had great hands and would go up for the ball and make catches. Lacked breakaway speed.

But college ball doesn't always translate to the pros. And vice versa.

Archived