Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking to buy a camera

SUSkinsFan

I'm probably going to buy a decent digital SLR camera and can't decide which to get. I'm debating between the Canon Rebel XSi and the Nikon D40. I don't need anything too fancy. I just want something basic to start out with. Anyone have one of these cameras and tell me the benefits/drawbacks to them?

Thanks for any advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Both are very good cameras for the price imho. Financial reasons are why I'm going for the XSI instead of the 50D next. Nikon still makes great cameras and the VR lenses are awesome in their own right. My step mom is an award winning amateur photographer,(she could be a pro to be honest),and she uses Nikon. She told me that essentially, the Canon and Nikon cameras are pretty close to the same when it comes to capabilities and such, just that Nikon tends to be cheaper. I tend to agree with this but I still believe the edge goes to Canon due to its IS lenses. Especially the L series.

These should help right here.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

What will you be using the camera for? Portrait, landscapes, work, vacation?
Just taking pictures at family get-togethers, sporting events, stuff like that. The most "work" I would do with it is taking photos of the political campaigns I volunteer on.

I'm not looking to be a photographer or anything, I just want to capture some memories.

If that's the case, I would probably go with a higher quality point and shoot rather than an SLR. You'll get a much more powerful zoom (which is a lot of fun at sporting events) and the picture quality will be pretty darn high. What I found with my SLR is that the camera itself was just the beginning of the expenses.

The Nikon Cool pix someone mentioned is a pretty good camera with an 18x zoom and costs about 2/3 of the base SLR camera (I think)

That said, I do like my Canon Rebel and I prefer looking through a natural viewfinder to compose my pics and zooming by rotating the lens.

Fuji,Nikon,Sony,and Canon are all making very nice super zoom point and clicks. The limit there of course,being the small size of the sensor. Canon has one,the SX1 IS,that has the CMOS sensor in it and it takes HD movies as well. Should be available in the U.S. soon though it is pricey. The IS at the extended zooms, and reaction time from zoom to focus are something to keep in mind here.

Traditionally, Nikon has had the better metering/exposure system especially when coupled with their flashes. Nikon's flash system nowadays is a thing of beauty. If you ever start experimenting with using multiple flashes off the camera, Nikon is your best bet. Canon may be getting into this but I haven't checked up on the newer gear for a year. Canon generally has had the quicker autofocus capabilities and accuracy over Nikon. If you notice, most sports photographers use Canon.

I personally use the Nikon D200 for work. I wouldn't get too caught up in the Canon vs Nikon debate. Both of them will serve you well. Save your money for the good lenses and you'll be happy. Try not to skimp on the lenses.

Do you guys think I'd notice an appreciable difference between the Rebel XSi and the Rebel XS. On Amazon the difference in price is about $200 and the XS has 2.1 fewer megapixels.

Possibly yes,depending on what you're shooting. Here's a comparison between the one you're looking at,(The 1000D or XS0),and the XSI and XTI.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page2.asp

I have a D90 and I love it but it does suffer from a known issue with the contacts between the lens and camera. I have to unlock and re-mount the lens every so often or when it gives an error. It's just a matter of pushing a button, twisting the lens loose then back into place with a click, but still... I don't know of any other nikons that have this problem though.

One thing I would say is go to a store where you can try them. Look at the controls and try to figure out the menu. Which one feels more comfortable in your hands? Both Nikon and Cannon are great. Pick the one that is most comfortable for you to use.

I just bought the Rebel XS kit from Amazon and got a 4gb memory card. Thanks for all the advice. Any good places I could look for advice on how to take the best pictures?

And I didn't look at page 2. :silly:

Well I think I can help here. I'm a art director and semi-pro photographer.

1) Get to know your camera in order to get the best out of it. I don't mean you need to be a technical expert but you should be able to set it up properly and do things like bracket exposures.

2) Shoot a LOT of pictures. Shoot often and shoot a lot of every subject. Look at your subject from different directions and angles. Even the best photographers can shoot all day for just a few great shots. Pay attention to lighting. The sun should be behind you.

3) You know what your subject is. That's the obvious part. Look at the background. That's what makes great pictures. Make sure there is no trash or clutter in the frame. Chain link fences and power lines are a sure way to ruin a great photo.

That should get you started. Just have fun. I recommend going to a giant bookstore and browsing for the ones that appeal to you.

I've had the camera for about 36 hours and I already notice a marked improvement in my pictures. Even when using the auto feature on the camera, I see improvement when I shoot the same subject but control the camera settings myself. As soon as I figure out how to get the images to the correct size for ES I'll post some.

I've had the camera for about 36 hours and I already notice a marked improvement in my pictures. Even when using the auto feature on the camera, I see improvement when I shoot the same subject but control the camera settings myself. As soon as I figure out how to get the images to the correct size for ES I'll post some.

Cool. Look forward to seeing them.

Here a few samples:

3471821593_f7cbb7f2d8.jpg?v=0

This is just a photo of my dog in the backyard

3472630682_83eb779299.jpg?v=0

3472630512_9f5c8ce513.jpg?v=0

These two are photos of a pond we put in our backyard. The first of the two were taken with my own settings. The second was taken with the auto feature and I was amazed at the difference in quality. I'm excited to see what I can make the pictures look like with some more practice.

Any comments or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Archived