Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins' VP Mendes Replaced

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8334-2003Jun3.html

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 4, 2003; 2:39 PM

Joe Mendes, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, has "mutually agreed with the team" to part ways, a team spokesperson said today.

Mendes was primarily a contract negotiator and salary cap expert with the team. But owner Daniel Snyder had increasingly taken over negotiations with high-profile free agents, making Mendes expendable.

Mendes' contract was to have expired after the upcoming season. But it became clear in recent weeks that he was unhappy in his diminished role.

This is the second time Mendes has left the team. He resigned a similar job shortly before the 2000 season.

Vinnie Cerrato, previously the director of player personnel, will assume Mendes' title.

Before last season, Snyder said that he, Mendes and Cerrato would share the team's leadership responsibilities. After last season, Coach Steve Spurrier said he wanted a more active role in the decision-making.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

I hope that Vinny can handle that responsibility:rolleyes: ..........it looks to me like his main concern is kissing Snyders arse, rather than sticking up for what he believes in, like Joe Mendes seemed to do.

In my opinion(and I hope I'm wrong), the skins will never be successful, if Snyder insists on having a "Yes Man" running the team, as opposed to someone who will stick up to Snyder, and not do something just because Snyder says so.........there needs to be some sort of checks and balance system, or I'm afraid everything will implode......when it boils down to it, Snyder didn't know anymore about running a Pro Football team, than anyone else on this board does........which is why firing Joe Mendes, and promoting ole bugg eyed Vinny is such a bad idea!:shootinth

We caught wind of this nearly six months ago and were told by our soruce that Mendes woudl be dismissed soon after the 2003 NFL Draft. Here ti is. Bottom line, there has been a power struggle between Mendes and Cerrato since Cerrato's return, and naturally, as close as Cerrato is to Dana nd the entire Snyder family, Mendes was doomed. I expect Director of Scouting Ron Nay to follow suit very soon. I suspect this irks Spurrier as well. Just a hunch.;)

I don't think Mendes was fired, this came out in the Washington Post a few months ago. Mendes was only going to stay through the end of this season. Don't know if this is a good thing or not. But from everything I have heard about this Mendes wanted out, not forced out.

Originally posted by stackman

I don't think Mendes was fired, this came out in the Washington Post a few months ago. Mendes was only going to stay through the end of this season. Don't know if this is a good thing or not. But from everything I have heard about this Mendes wanted out, not forced out.

Believe me Mendes did not leave voluntarily. This has been a power struggle for the past six months. Yes Mendes wanted out, but it wa sbecause of the Cerrato struggle with him and Snyder. Mendes was gone four months ago.

I'm not very comfortable with this, but the structure of the FO seemed to create a lot of gray area. I don't think we can fully assume whether or not this is going to have a huge impact. I like the decisions the team made in the off season and it seems like they would have made the same decisions even if Vinny wasn't there. I'm going to assume that Snyder has learned and won't go off on a crazy spending spree. He's a smart guy and by now probably a little more cap savy than we think.

This is nearly the last gasp of the Casserly era. Mendes worked for Charley for a long time, like Carley behind the scenes, quietly and effectively.Internal disputes were not publically aired and private dissent ...over substance... were just that-- private.

Now the shoe has dropped and the personnel guy (Cerrato) who was unemployed in July right before training camp a few years ago... not exactly an endorsement for his desireablity to other teams... is now the HEAD guy for personnel, talent salary cap. HELP!

If Ron Ney goes, this will be the last vestige of an effective personnel team set up by Casserly. We will be running on faith , hope and the judgement of Mr. Synder.Is this scenario a confidence builder? And how will this type of front office appeal to players, prospects and coaching staff??

Stay tuned.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

This day I Proclaim as the starting point of the Redskins 2003 season Downfall.

(only if we don't make the playoffs, of course.)

Doesn't take much for some people to jump off the bandwagon. Ho hum.

Mendes is a numbers guy, he had virtually nothing to do with talent evaluation.

So, it seems a lot of you see the inevitable downfall of the Washington Redskins now that the great mind, Mendes, is gone. Quick question, besides the resigning of Champ and LA, what big moves requiring deep negotiation and and cap wiggling can you even see this team making over the next three years? This team is set and locked up with the talent it has. Chris McAlister's contract will be the basis for Champ's, and LA is going to blow the roof out regardless.

Sorry guys, if there was any time for Mendes to go it is now. For better or worse (my faith leans towards a LOT better) this is the team we are going to have for a while.

What... is this a surprise? I'm suprised he hung around this long. Vinny obviously can't do Mendes job when it comes to maipulating the cap... so I guess we're off to the RFA market again - front office RFAs that is. I do like Snyder, but ya gotta wonder sometimes... :shootinth

hah, I'm not off the bandwagon, I was joking around.

It's not that we had a lot of faith in Mendes, but he did get us out of the Salary Cap hell we were projected to go into this year. Now Vinny comes back this year and now we are projected to go into another Salary Cap hell in a few years. Maybe they'll bring back Mendes then too.

But most Redskin fans don't have a lot of faith in Cerrato, and that's the problem, because he and Snyder are good friends. We'll never be rid of him.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I'm not totally enthused about this, but I wonder: what is the source on Cerrato being strictly a yes man to Snyder, that he doesn't stand up to him?

I'm not making any evaluation of Cerrato's ability here. But, just because Vinny has a good personal relationship with Snyder does not necessarily mean that he is Snyder's b!tch. In fact, that relationship could mean just the opposite - that Vinny has the comfort to speak his mind. If you all have a good relationship with your boss, does that mean you must be a "yes man" to them? Personally, I've always felt that the better my relationship with my boss, the more open I feel about letting my thoughts be known.

As far as contract management goes, Mendes will be missed. OTOH, it seems that more and more people are becoming comfortable with the nuances of the cap. Hell, from reading posts on the various 'Skins message boards, it seems that some of the posters could do an admirable job. I'm sure Snyder has some pretty shrewd number-crunchers who can make the $$$ work. For that matter, he probably has a pretty good feel for it, himself.

The key is, though, if Cerrato/Snyder know restraint. As active as the team has been in the offseason, some of the signings/non-signings have been remarkably restrained. And none of them, including Coles, have been unreasonable (a la Deion).

I don't know have a crystal ball, but it doesn't appear to me that the sky has fallen. I think the Snyder/Cerrato combo has caught a lot of grief based on one signing (Deion).

SonnyJ asked why there's a perception that Cerrato is a 'yes man' to Daniel Snyder. That's a good question. It's not as though he wears a 'I'm Danny's Toadie' sweatshirt or anything.

My perception of the guy has been shaped by his exit from the 49ers (and the mess there left in his wake) and what we saw in the early seasons of Snyder's ownership. Terrible contracts...bad drafts....gut-wrenching free agent signings.

When the t.v.s zoom in on Dan Snyder's box during games, I swear it appears that he's fetching drinks for Snyder's wife. Perhaps he's just being polite. It's not a crime to curry favor with the boss, either.

I note that one of the first things Marty did was to get rid of him. That suggests that he was at least perceived as a threat. That doesn't make him more than a 'yes man', however.

I guess I can't quantify my perception on this one, but there's something about Cerrato that bugs the heck out of me.

I think one of the articles (WP or WT) indicated that there was a young kid who would step up and crunch salary cap numbers for Snyder. Can't remember his name, but apparently he's been doing the same thing for Mendes, crunching the numbers and then submitting scenarios and proposals for Mendes to review. I'm less worried about the salary cap crunching as I am the talent evaluation. If I remember correctly, Mendes has a long history of talent evaluation and will be missed. Same for Ron Nay, who some believe is an above average talent evaluator. Of course, he's the same guy who seemed less than enthused about the signing of Bowens..... and MC reports have Bowens looking ALL PRO.

Originally posted by tenaciousd

Doesn't take much for some people to jump off the bandwagon. Ho hum.

Mendes is a numbers guy, he had virtually nothing to do with talent evaluation.

So, it seems a lot of you see the inevitable downfall of the Washington Redskins now that the great mind, Mendes, is gone. Quick question, besides the resigning of Champ and LA, what big moves requiring deep negotiation and and cap wiggling can you even see this team making over the next three years? This team is set and locked up with the talent it has. Chris McAlister's contract will be the basis for Champ's, and LA is going to blow the roof out regardless.

Sorry guys, if there was any time for Mendes to go it is now. For better or worse (my faith leans towards a LOT better) this is the team we are going to have for a while.

OI disagree with alot of what is in here. Mendes provided the Redskins with a personnel guy that knew, understood, and coudl mainpulate the cap. He was awesome at doing that, now we will have a minor numbers guys that will submit number cruching to Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, two guys that clearly do not understand caponomics. Mark it here. Watch and cap destruction.

Archived