Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Supreme Court limits warrantless vehicle searches

ACW

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h96V6DWIBTZwlkYloNBK_lusFnXgD97N1DS80

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that police need a warrant to search the vehicle of someone they have arrested if the person is locked up in a patrol cruiser and poses no safety threat to officers.

The court's 5-4 decision in a case from Arizona puts new limits on the ability of police to search a vehicle immediately after the arrest of a suspect, particularly when the alleged offense is nothing more serious than a traffic violation.

Justice John Paul Stevens said in the majority opinion that warrantless searches still may be conducted if a car's passenger compartment is within reach of a suspect who has been removed from the vehicle or there is reason to believe evidence will be found of the crime that led to the arrest.

Score one for civil liberties :thumbsup:

Odd division:

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Antonin Scalia, David Souter and Clarence Thomas joined the majority opinion. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Stephen Breyer and Anthony Kennedy were in dissent along with Alito.

Damn, did Scalia lose to Alito in checkers or something?

so let me see if im reading this correct, now all they have to do to make a warrantless search is make sure they cuff the suspect but dont stuff him untill they have finished there search.

Honestly, I'm getting a headache trying to figure out the difference.

Damn, did Scalia lose to Alito in checkers or something?

Honestly, I'm getting a headache trying to figure out the difference.

If the suspect is arrested the car will be impounded...correct?

Thus leaving any warrant issues to the legal eagles

Good. I was starting to think I was the only one outraged when cops around the country decided that any traffic violation was enough cause for a search.

They can still search if the person just can't be in the cops back seat. Easy enough, as another poster said, just don't stuff the idiot.

They can still search if the person just can't be in the cops back seat. Easy enough, as another poster said, just don't stuff the idiot.

No. Read more... they can search areas in reach of the suspect so long as the reason is soemthing relating to the crime for which they are being arrested. In other words, running a stop sign isn't cause to digging through everything in a car.

Archived