Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheers & Jeers: Who will Redskins go with?

themurf

The whispers started right after the Redskins failed trade attempt for quarterback Jay Cutler. By the end of the night, one name started to pop up: Mark Sanchez. The Redskins had already worked out the Southern Cal quarterback; sources at Sanchez’s Pro Day say it was clear that Washington coach Jim Zorn and owner Dan Snyder liked him (Zorn ran the meeting with Sanchez, by the way).

And it’s clear that the Redskins feel a need to upgrade at quarterback.

But good luck trying to find a consensus on what that means for the draft.

Here’s what three experts have the Redskins doing. Of course, with 10 days left before the draft, this could change.

Mel Kiper (ESPN): Sanchez. “He has a passion for the game. He’s the fifth best player in the draft. If he’d gone back he could have been No. 1. Teams don’t win without great quarterbacks in this league.”

Click here for the full article.

Thanks for posting Murf but I guess one guy's guess is as good as the next. I've watched the Youtube videos of English and I'm one of those who feels #13 is not too early to take him. I feel the same way about Ayers.

While I'd like an OT, if the Skins were crazy enough to dump Campbell and move up to get Sanchez, that's a move I could live with....provided Danny was willing to acknowledge a rebuilding year. Danny, however, is just not the type to go quietly into the night and give up on any season so I just can't see it happening but it wouldn't surprise me either.

I would tolerate drafting Sanchez if we were able to recoup a 2nd for Campbell.

I agree with Jimbo though...IF we do this, start Sanchez immeidately and chalk this season up to a rebuilding year. Included in that would be giving Zorn more time and continuing to add OL talent around Sanchez so that, hopefully, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Sanchez, and the new OL gels around the same time.

I'm somewhat convinced that the Skins could end up getting Sanchez. Now that would be a dumb move for the 2009 season IMO but assuming the Skins are thinking big picture this is a alright move to me. Dude is talented and JC has not been given a contract extension so that sorta tells me something right there. If they go with Sanchez, thats basically saying that we gonna rock out like we did last year but with minmimal improvements done to our O and the defense NEEDS to hold us down aka get ready for next year!

I agree with Jimbo though...IF we do this, start Sanchez immeidately and chalk this season up to a rebuilding year. Included in that would be giving Zorn more time and continuing to add OL talent around Sanchez so that, hopefully, Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Sanchez, and the new OL gels around the same time.

Who would give up a 2nd for JC? A 4th or 5th is probably closer to his value.

Who would give up a 2nd for JC? A 4th or 5th is probably closer to his value.

You might be right...I don't really know. I'm just saying that I'd like us to clear out Campbell and maybe even Colt if we're going with Sanchez. Trade them both, keep Collins, and pick up another vet as your #3.

If you're selling the farm for a rookie QB, you better not have anyone else that could be the popular backup come week 8 (like Gus was to Heath).

Ive been saying all along Larry English is the right man for this team. Over 50 sacks in 4 years. His last 3 years have been 16 17 and 16 sacks. The man is a pure monster. He has a non stop motor and would be straight up DOMINANT off the edge with Haynesworth now. Reaching for English at 13 is the right choice.

Picking Ayers boggles my mind. He has very minimal production in college. He was basically unheard of until the senior bowl. I dont want to waste a pick on a guy who was nowhere near a first round thought before the senior bowl.

Picking Ayers boggles my mind. He has very minimal production in college. He was basically unheard of until the senior bowl. I dont want to waste a pick on a guy who was nowhere near a first round thought before the senior bowl.

we did just spend a lot of money on a tenn. guy, but i think well take one of the big 4.

why not trade up with the raiders? maclin would still be there and wed get who we really want

Amen.... got to get the 2nd or a third for Campbell.

18 years of re-building and counting...:doh:

Well, we haven't won 11+ games since 1991...the only other team with that long of a streak is: the Lions. The Cardinals haven't since 1975, but hey at least they went to the Big Game last year.

I am warming up to drafting Sanchez more and more. I was firmly in the "draft a tackle" camp.... but everything i've read about Sanchez would indicate he's a QB with a full skillset (can be a pocket passer, but is accurate and athletic on the move), and how cerebral he is. He doesn't have cannon arm strength.... but accuracy is extremely important in the WCO and if they (the FO and coaches) think he'll improve the team the most, then I'm all for it.

Synder is making a laughing stock of the Redskins.

Openly chasing every QB but the one he already has.

Synder reminds me of the insecure dude who walks with his girlfriend yet looks longingly at every cute girl that cross his path.

Pathetic.

Every media outlet now automatically includes the Redskins in the hunt for every hot prospect.

And rightyfully so, with Synder at the helm anything is possible.

Hopefully the team and coaches can try and win despite his meddling.

I am warming up to drafting Sanchez more and more. I was firmly in the "draft a tackle" camp.... but everything i've read about Sanchez would indicate he's a QB with a full skillset (can be a pocket passer, but is accurate and athletic on the move), and how cerebral he is. He doesn't have cannon arm strength.... but accuracy is extremely important in the WCO and if they (the FO and coaches) think he'll improve the team the most, then I'm all for it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of draft hype. There are always a couple of QBs that are first round talents get hyped as "the guy" in the draft. The truth is though you never know if your getting Ben Roethlisberger or Alex Smith. Or somewhere in between like Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

Can we all agree that this guy isn't Peyton Manning yet? And trading away extra high picks for a project QB is just plain stupid. Although, with our front office, par for the course.

I cringe over the draft Sanchez/trade Campbell possibility. And although I dismissed it initially, I'm sadly coming around to believe it is a real possibility. I base this on three facts:

1) Snyder/Cerrato do not belief in JC (see, Cutler debacle, no long term deal);

2) Sanchez, whose accuracy is his greatest attribute, is a nice fit for the WCO; and

3) Recent history shows that the Redskins' first-round draft plans become public knowledge just before the draft almost every year (see, Carlos Rogers, Jason Campbell, Laron Landry, 2008 trade down).

While I fear the possibility of drafting Sanchez and dumping JC, I find comfort in the fact that the Skins really do seem to lack the juice to move up far enough to get Sanchez. Trading with Jacksonville appears to be the spot where the Skins would need to be if they really want Sanchez (and Seattle doesn't draft him). They will likely have competition from the Jets and possibly Denver if this happens. When you look at the Skins, it's clear to see that they have little to offer as tradebait. There's no second rounder to throw in this year and, if the rumors are true, JC's value is too low to be packaged with #13 in order to get up to #8. The Redskins would have to trade this year's #1 and probably next year's #1 in order to get this done (maybe #2) and leave the holes at OT and LB unaddressed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I see the prospect of the Redskins drafting Sanchez as highly unlikely due to practical constraints, not a lack of desire.

QB isn't our biggest need. Like him or hate him, Campbell is an average qb. We will have a few below average starters next year if we don't handle that. Sanchez going number 1 next year is a complete joke though. He'd have to surpass Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford. Both have had FAR superior careers than Sanchez. And that is only at the qb position.

No way that is the case after they spend on Haynesworth.

Dan is a businessman. When he saw what the market is for JC during the Cutler scenario, he probably woke up to reality.

When other teams won't part with a 2nd rd pick for your 28 year old starting QB who you spent multiple picks on and the fact that Denver preferred Orton with less compensation than JC and our picks, he had his evaluation. He probably also had conversations with other agents and front office people to get realistic assessments of JC. JC is Dan's football version of six flags. A declining investment headed for delisting.

Archived