Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help with HDMI

LaxBuddy21

So I have my 56" Samsung HDTV, my Phillips surround sound and my Direct TV all hooked up in my basement. I have HDMI cables from the Direct TV to the TV in the HDMI1 port. The surround sound is connected to the HDMI2 port. The audio out cables run from the TV to the surround sound. First my Direct TV remote will not connect to my surround sound. When I use the all on button on my remote, the TV and Direct TV turn on but the surround sound does not. When I turn everything off with the all off button, the TV and the surround sound turn off but the Direct TV does not turn off. The Direct TV used to turn off before I had to unhook everything while we were working on the basement. Once I hooked everything back up, it stopped working. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? I talked to the people at Best Buy and they claimed to not have any clue. I am new to the whole HDMI thing but I thought everything was supposed to be in sync.

Yeah, I agree it sounds like you'll need to re-enter the remote codes based on manufacturer into whichever remote is the main one you want to use. The macro function (what turns multiple things on/off together) on the universal remote is based on the code entered, rather than any physical connection.

However, I noticed that you said you're taking the audio out from your TV to your surround system. If you have a separate A/V receiver, then it's beneficial to run the DirecTV directly to the surround system. If you're using the red/white audio cables, that will only output stereo sound, not the 5.1 you might want from DirecTV. At best, it will just be converted to a simulated 5.1.

If your surround system receiver has HDMI inputs, have it so that:

DirecTV receiver ---(HDMI)---> Philips surround sound receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV

The HDMI cables will carry audio and video.

If your surround system receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, then it should have digital toslink optical audio inputs. This will carry the 5.1 digital surround sound from your DirecTV to your sound system:

DirecTV receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV (for video)

DirecTV receiver ---(optical)--> Philips surround sound receiver

Philips surround sound receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV (for video if you have other things connected to your system)

Note: If you have an all-in-one HT system that has a built-in receiver/DVD type, then you might have limited inputs where you can't use full functionality of a home theater A/V receiver.

Yeah, I agree it sounds like you'll need to re-enter the remote codes based on manufacturer into whichever remote is the main one you want to use. The macro function (what turns multiple things on/off together) on the universal remote is based on the code entered, rather than any physical connection.

However, I noticed that you said you're taking the audio out from your TV to your surround system. If you have a separate A/V receiver, then it's beneficial to run the DirecTV directly to the surround system. If you're using the red/white audio cables, that will only output stereo sound, not the 5.1 you might want from DirecTV. At best, it will just be converted to a simulated 5.1.

If your surround system receiver has HDMI inputs, have it so that:

DirecTV receiver ---(HDMI)---> Philips surround sound receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV

The HDMI cables will carry audio and video.

If your surround system receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, then it should have digital toslink optical audio inputs. This will carry the 5.1 digital surround sound from your DirecTV to your sound system:

DirecTV receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV (for video)

DirecTV receiver ---(optical)--> Philips surround sound receiver

Philips surround sound receiver ---(HDMI)---> Samsung TV (for video if you have other things connected to your system)

Note: If you have an all-in-one HT system that has a built-in receiver/DVD type, then you might have limited inputs where you can't use full functionality of a home theater A/V receiver.

I do have the DVD built into the receiver so I only have 1 HDMI port and no optical audio unfortunately. That is why I have it run the way I do. I have tried programming my remote with all the codes they provide but no luck getting it to work with by surround sound.

Sounds like a remote issue more than a connection issue. I find it odd that your reciever has HDMI and not optical. Does it only have HDMI outputs and no input?

Yes, there is only one HDMI output and no input. Its a Phillips system I bought from Walmart so its not top of the line or anything but it serves my purposes well for the most part.

Archived