Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Knowshon Moreno at #13

gaskinsfan

If the skins can't get Orakpo, Maualuga, or Andre Smith, they should seriously consider taking Knowshon Moreno. He has great lateral moves, can do it all (catch, block, run with power and speed) and even was used in wildcat type formations at Georgia. The way he runs at full tilt reminds me of Portis. No way Portis can handle the load by himself this year, he ran out of gas after 1/2 of last season and his drop off was a major contributor to the skins fall in second half. Portis/Moreno would be a great combination.

Vinny has always said he does not draft for need and that he drafts for best player available. I would not have a big problem with that since we really need to take the load off Portis since he breaks down at the end of the season. I would rather see RT though which is what we really need.

Only reason I'd like to see Moreno's name come up is if its involving a deal with the Eagles trading up to get him and getting us more picks.

Portis is an elite running back. He "fell off" because the line wore out. Casey Rabach said exactly that in his ES interview. Betts is an average to above average spell at RB. We need linemen, pure and simple. OTs and DEs - then a linebacker. Our OL is older than anyone in our division, and maybe the oldest in the NFL. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but this would just be a ridiculous move when we have so many areas that need so much help.

If Vinny is truly drafting the BPA, a HUGE mistake IMO, then he would more likely take Malcolm Jenkins before Moreno. In a BPA scenario, you should draft the BPA that fills a NEED.
Was listening to Vinny on the radio last year and he said he does not take a guy to fill a need only the highest rated player on there board when they pick. I agree its retarded when we have such issues on both lines right now.

He is way too slow in my opinion. If we get a RB he needs to be a Darren Sproles type. There just isn't any in this draft.

Have you seen him play, though?!?! He might be the hardest running back in the draft to tackle. I'd love Moreno at 13, but, of course, there are several more important needs.

Have you seen him play, though?!?! He might be the hardest running back in the draft to tackle. I'd love Moreno at 13, but, of course, there are several more important needs.

Yeah he plays pretty slow. No breakaways but good moves and good power. I think Shonn Green is a better back. He is def. more powerfull. I dont think Moreno should be drafted that high.

I think it is way over the top the way people have fallen in love with Sproles over frankly just a couple games. The Sproles-type is not the model I think we should be chasing. I don't mind the approach of getting a few Sproles types as cheap FAs or UDFAs and see if they catch on as returners and if so, perhaps use them occasionally in games. But if you are looking for a regular stud at the RB position, I think you should follow conventional wisdom... which I think Moreno fits in with much better than Sproles.

That being said, I hope we don't end up drafting an RB. There will be good players available at positions of much higher need... I can understand using the best player available approach when the only people available at need positions are significantly worse prospects, but that will not be the case (and I can't think of a situation where that has ever been the case). I'm not one of the folks who thinks Betts is all that, but he is plenty good enough to fill the primary backup role while we try to fix up much more glaring weaknesses along the OL, LB, and maybe DL.

I made a thread like this about a month ago, and let me tell you, you aren't going to get many votes of approval on this. I like Moreno because he is a polished every down back and there are only a handful of guys like him in the league. But teams use the dual back system with great success so having an every down back isn't as valuable a commodity as it used to be.

I think Knowshon Moreno is the most phenomenal running back after Adrian Peterson to come out in the last 5 seasons. His skill set is complete, and while his straight-line speed gets critisized, his quickness and lateral agility are truly rare.

It would surely be a luxury to pick him, but we are getting old with all three of our running backs and don't have much of a backup plan behind Portis. Having a two headed monster at HB would help us late in the season when we have a lot of tough division games too.

Moreno likely would be the BPA at 13 in almost any realistic situation since a lot of people have him as one of the ten best prospects in the draft. If we had a 2nd rounder, I think we should be all over him because we can address the offensive line easily in rounds 2, 3, and 5. But we lost our 2nd rounder in a stupid trade and so we handcuffed ourselves.

I am in the extreme minority here, but I my top 3 players that I want the skins to grab (in no order) are Andre Smith, Mark Sanchez, and Moreno. I'd be alright with Maualuga and Oher as well, but anyone else at 13 would be a pretty big disappointment to me.

Next year's RB class looks as crappy as this one, and the DE, OT, and OLB class look way better than this year's. The only way I'd be disappointed with grabbing Moreno is if Orakpo, Eugene Monroe, or Jason Smith were still on the board at 13.

I think it is way over the top the way people have fallen in love with Sproles over frankly just a couple games. The Sproles-type is not the model I think we should be chasing. I don't mind the approach of getting a few Sproles types as cheap FAs or UDFAs and see if they catch on as returners and if so, perhaps use them occasionally in games. But if you are looking for a regular stud at the RB position, I think you should follow conventional wisdom... which I think Moreno fits in with much better than Sproles.

That being said, I hope we don't end up drafting an RB. There will be good players available at positions of much higher need... I can understand using the best player available approach when the only people available at need positions are significantly worse prospects, but that will not be the case (and I can't think of a situation where that has ever been the case). I'm not one of the folks who thinks Betts is all that, but he is plenty good enough to fill the primary backup role while we try to fix up much more glaring weaknesses along the OL, LB, and maybe DL.

I agree with what you said about Sproles. I don't think a player like that would have much of a career here in D.C. unless Portis went down like Tomlinson did. Plus Moreno projects as a player who can carry the ball like Portis and Tomlinson - 25+ times a game.

But I disagree that LB is a glaring weakness, especially not as big a weakness as OL is. Yes, it'd surely be nice to get a great starter at SSLB. But we will be fine using a combination of Blades and Chris Wilson on 1st and 2nd down, and I would absolutely hate to see us draft Brian Cushing or reach for Clay Matthews. I'd rather have Sintim than either of them. But we can get a SAM late in the draft or through FA if we want one. Solid linebackers are even more dime a dozen than solid RBs.

And it's just one LB position as opposed to probably 3 positions that could use an upgrade on the OL. I wouldn't care at all if we didn't draft a LB until the 7th round. ILB is a more pressing need in my mind since Fletcher is 33 but I feel pretty good about Blades playing that part of the defense.

Granted, I wouldn't mind finding someone at DE since we are about 40 years old at the position. But even so, our defensive line looks way better than our offensive line right now.

Our offense is the problem, not our defense. We could go into next year starting Blades/Wilson and Philip Daniels and still be as good as we were last year.

If the skins can't get Orakpo, Maualuga, or Andre Smith, they should seriously consider taking Knowshon Moreno. He has great lateral moves, can do it all (catch, block, run with power and speed) and even was used in wildcat type formations at Georgia. The way he runs at full tilt reminds me of Portis. No way Portis can handle the load by himself this year, he ran out of gas after 1/2 of last season and his drop off was a major contributor to the skins fall in second half. Portis/Moreno would be a great combination.

3 words for you.

OH

HELL

NO

:chair:

If Vinny is truly drafting the BPA, a HUGE mistake IMO, then he would more likely take Malcolm Jenkins before Moreno. In a BPA scenario, you should draft the BPA that fills a NEED.

Actually many analysits don't have Jenkins as the best corner anymore. They have Vontae Davis, or the other guy whose name escaped me ranked well above him.

Actually many analysits don't have Jenkins as the best corner anymore. They have Vontae Davis, or the other guy whose name escaped me ranked well above him.

Darius Butler of CT is the only other corner I've seen consistently mocked in the 1st round. I thought he was projected to go lower than Jenkins and Davis, though. Around the mid 20's.

And Macho Harris is a borderline 1st round pick.

Archived