Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whey Portein?

chiefhogskin48

At the urging of one of my friends (who swears by it), I bought some whey protein powder in order to add some lean muscle mass. I bought a chocolate flavor, and it tastes very decent when mixed with either water or milk.

But here's the question for you guys who haved tried it: Is it effective, or a waste of money? It is relatively expensive, so I'd rather not waste time and money using it if I don't have to.

Worth it. You have to have protein to build muscle. Whey protein is a fast acting protein that goes straight to your muscles and aids repair and building after a hard workout. Drink the shake immediately after your workout. You can find the stuff reletively cheap on ebay. Other sites that sell it cheap.

www.dpsnutrition.com

www.proteinfactory.com

1g of protein equals 4 calories.

The question then becomes, are you not getting enough protein from your current diet?

If you are, and you also consume additional protein in the form of say, whey protein, guess what? You'll start adding fat instead of muscle mass to your body.

Recommended Grams of Protein Per Pound of Body Weight Per Day*

RDA for sedentary adult 0.4

Adult recreational exerciser 0.5-0.75

Adult competitive athlete 0.6-0.9

Adult building muscle mass 0.7-0.9

Dieting athlete 0.7-1.0

Growing teenage athlete 0.9-1.0

*To find your daily protein requirement, multiply the appropriate numbers in this table by your weight in pounds.

To determine how much protein you're getting from your current diet read the labels of the foods you eat. If that's not possible (i.e., you're eating raw vegetables, fruits, etc..), then visit this site. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/

I eat very little meat. However just about every day I eat 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 yogurt, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 35 crackers (1 box of Carr's), 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, 1 large bowl of multi-grain Cheerios with a cup of skim milk, 1 large glass of O.J., 1/4 cup of beans (kidney and black), and assorted raw vegetables and fruits. On this diet I probably get around 100 grams of protein daily.

Since I run twice a week and lift weights 3 days a week I'm probably a bit short on my protein. At 150 lbs I should probably supplement another 30 to 40 grams of protein on a daily basis.

Archived