Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Without OL this draft, this team is dead

derekc4

2) We're going to lose probably a starting QB and CB (Cornerback, not Colt Brennan) next year which will generally require high picks to replace. Hopefully Brennan can do it, but don't count on it. We'll probably also lose a backup QB in Collins. Smoot wasn't that good last year. Imagine in two years. YIKES.

3) Portis and Betts are probably going to be ineffective by the end of 2010. Betts will be old and Portis will have sky high carries. Solid RBs generally require 2nd round picks or higher.

6) Less troublesome, but still to keep in mind Fletcher (can Blades do it?) and Griffin are both old and probably have only a few years left.

We could franchise Rogers to stave off a year of needing a QB, but have we ever given the franchise tag?

The rules of free agency are different in a non-capped year. Next year Rogers and Campbell are both going to be RESTRICTED free agents next year. Alexander can take Griffins spot in the DT rotation. RBs can be gotten antwhere. And Blades can replace Fletcher

The rules of free agency are different in a non-capped year. Next year Rogers and Campbell are both going to be RESTRICTED free agents next year. Alexander can take Griffins spot in the DT rotation. RBs can be gotten antwhere. And Blades can replace Fletcher

What have you seen in Blades that makes you believe that he can step up and be the next LF? I'm not trying to be an ass; I really want to know.

I think Blades has made strides, but LF is the heart and soul of our D. Asking even an experienced vet to take that role as well as play the way LF has for us (best and most consistant player on our defense) is a serious challenge.

Willie Parker - UDFA

Tim Hightower - 5th Round

Darren Sproles - 4th Round

Brian Westbrook - 3rd Round

Michael Turner - 5th Round

Brandon Jacobs - 4th Round

Steve Slaton - 3rd Round

Ryan Grant - UDFA

Derrick Ward - 7th Round

Le Ron McClain - 4th Round

Kevin Smith - 3rd Round

Justin Fargas - 3rd Round

Leon Washington - 4th Round

Ok yyou just listed like 4 starters, and a bunch of people who are either backups or aren't very good. Good job. Westbrook and Parker (maybe Turner) are the only surefire good backs there. The rest are either tandem backs or too young to tell. Thanks for disregarding the post to try and feel superior. I hope it worked for you. Are you still mad because you don't know grammar?

Let's just name a couple 1st and 2nd rounders who are much better than almost anyone on your list:

Peterson

Tomlinson

Ronnie Brown

Matt Forte

Jackson

Portis

Cadillac Williams

Addai

Maroney

Stewart

Deangelo

are or were all nasty and 1st or 2nd rounder, these are just off the top of my head. All of them are better than everyone on your list but two to three people.

What have you seen in Blades that makes you believe that he can step up and be the next LF? I'm not trying to be an ass; I really want to know.

I think Blades has made strides, but LF is the heart and soul of our D. Asking even an experienced vet to take that role as well as play the way LF has for us (best and most consistant player on our defense) is a serious challenge.

I think he's played at a solid level. He's not being asked to replace Fletcher now, but that fact is before he was the heart and soul of the D someone else was, and before that guy someone else was.

Ok yyou just listed like 4 starters, and a bunch of people who are either backups or aren't very good. Good job. Westbrook and Parker (maybe Turner) are the only surefire good backs there. The rest are either tandem backs or too young to tell. Thanks for disregarding the post to try and feel superior. I hope it worked for you. Are you still mad because you don't know grammar?

Let's just name a couple 1st and 2nd rounders who are much better than almost anyone on your list:

Peterson

Tomlinson

Ronnie Brown

Matt Forte

Jackson

Portis

Cadillac Williams

Addai

Maroney

Stewart

Deangelo

are or were all nasty and 1st or 2nd rounder, these are just off the top of my head. All of them are better than everyone on your list but two to three people.

Williams is still kind of iffy and Sproles came damn close to replacing Tomlinson this ofseason

wow what r we going to need in the year 2017 :doh: :doh: :doh:
If we still have Vinny, we will need the same things we need this year. I really think we need to get a pass rusher, We have not had a pass rush in forever. We had the leading rusher in the NFL for the first half of the season last year with this same O line, we can wait and get a O-line man in the 3rd and with our 1st rd pic next year. But after paying big Al 100K we have to give him some sort of talent on the ends, I think that turns a #4 D. into a #1 D and we will get more interceptions and TD's on defence. Lets face it this team wants to win now and a good pass rusher will help us do that, I just dont have faith in our offence to win us a game at this point.

If we still have Vinny, we will need the same things we need this year. I really think we need to get a pass rusher, We have not had a pass rush in forever. We had the leading rusher in the NFL for the first half of the season last year with this same O line, we can wait and get a O-line man in the 3rd and with our 1st rd pic next year. But after paying big Al 100K we have to give him some sort of talent on the ends, I think that turns a #4 D. into a #1 D and we will get more interceptions and TD's on defence. Lets face it this team wants to win now and a good pass rusher will help us do that, I just dont have faith in our offence to win us a game at this point.

the problem is the D isn't designed for pass rush. Blache thinks sacks are a nice bonus. Not an important part of the game.

Westbrook and Parker (maybe Turner) are the only surefire good backs there. The rest are either tandem backs or too young to tell.

Cadillac Williams

I agree with you for the most part, except for Turner being a "maybe". The guy ran for over 900 yards in the last 8 games of last season and almost 1700 total. I don't think Williams is a starter. I would say Sproles is better than he is.

I hope the team trades out of 13, though I wouldn't be unhappy with one of several guys at that spot. I just hope we trade out of the spot and try to fill a few spots.

If we don't pick OL at 13 I don't think it spells doom for our team. If we take someone like Maybin or Maualuga at 13, I would bet that the FO is willing to trade a pick from next season for a 2nd rounder or something along those lines.

Do I think that's the wrong thing to do? I would normally say no, but I think if we don't take an OL at 13 and we don't trade our 13 for more picks, we should probably do something to get another early pick (a 2nd), as long as we aren't making a really bad trade, which seems to be the norm.

So I would, trade 13, get a late first & early second, or two seconds and a fifth or sixth or something, and clean up the rest of the projected first rounders in the early - mid second for OT (Loadholt, or the kid from UCONN) and either OG (Herman Johnson the giant from LSU) or DE, or OLB.

I'd be happy with someone like Michael Johnson there (2nd 2nd rounder), where if he were our 1st rounder, I'd probably break my remote.

Peterson

Tomlinson

Ronnie Brown

Matt Forte

Jackson

Portis

Cadillac Williams

Addai

Maroney

Stewart

Deangelo

Only one guy on your list there ran for more yards than Turner last year. Only one guy ran for more TDs than Turner last year.

The Cutler fiasco showed everyone that the strings are pulled by one person alone - Dan Snyder. Dan only wants to pick stars that make big splashes. This team is his fantasy team and picking "stars" is all he knows how to do. He might spend a third round pick now and then on OL (Rinehart, Dockery), or fifth and sixth round picks on DL (Golston, Montgomery) but if he has a first round pick, guaranteed it's not going to be spent on OL or DL. It's the way it is. He's not the first leader to miss the big picture while being mired in minutiae.

I hope I'm wrong and we get OL or DL, but the track record says no.

I would love to see one or two OL drafted with our #13 and our 3rd round pick. But I'm afraid it's not a big enough splash. The extremly poor showing of the OL in the second half makes OL harder to ignore in the draft, but I fully expect Dan/Vinny to pick anybody but OL or DL and excuse it by saying they picked BPA.

All some us can do is hope we outlive the guy until a new owner puts the football people in charge.

Ok yyou just listed like 4 starters, and a bunch of people who are either backups or aren't very good. Good job.

Four starters?

Willie Parker - UDFA

Tim Hightower - 5th Round

Brian Westbrook - 3rd Round

Michael Turner - 5th Round

Brandon Jacobs - 4th Round

Steve Slaton - 3rd Round

Ryan Grant - UDFA

Kevin Smith - 3rd Round

Justin Fargas - 3rd Round

Those are all starters. 9 backs, almost a third of all NFL runningbacks.

Thanks for disregarding the post to try and feel superior. I hope it worked for you. Are you still mad because you don't know grammar?

First. I have no idea what you're talking about. Second, I wasn't trying to feel superior. I was telling you that you were indeed wrong and just over exaggerating a point so that people won't think you're clueless.

I proved you wrong and now you're defensive about it. Sorry.

And if you're going to be an ass about grammar (which I don't know what you're talking about, but obviously I must have struck a nerve somewhere with you), I don't know this Grammar person you speak of. I do, however, know proper grammar.

I would feel much more comfortable with an OL at #13. But a RT can be found in the 3rd.

Defensively I like Smoot, and the secondary for a couple years. Finding an eventual replacement for Fletcher, who can play at a high level might be a bigger concern to me defensively, even more so than LDE. Since I'm ok with a run stuffer on that side, and those can be found more easily. Defensively it all seems to hing on AH now. If he packs it in we are in trouble.

I am indifferent whether we take an OL or DE. All I know is that it better be one of the two. The past few years I have been preaching to draft a DE. Last year I thought it was a definite, and well, look what happened(still a crappy draft imo). I still believe it is a critical need. But if Andre Smith or Michael Oher are available, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting either of them at #13 considering the lack of pass protection for JC last year.

Any lineman we take most likely isnt going to come in and be a day 1 starter. I believe andre smith could be a starter on day 1 at RT, but if we end up getting Oher, I really believe he would be a project and not contribute immediately. If the top 4 OT are off the board, I really wouldnt mind grabbing the best LB/DE avaialble (cushing, maualuga, etc), and then using our 3rd, or maybe do something to move up into the 2nd and grab alex mack at center. Mack would be a significant upgrade over rabach, we'd get younger on the both lines, and we'd have to make due with our RT position for this year and address it in the 1st round of next year. I think if heyer steps up, he can be a decent fill in.

Yeah, we'll probably draft OL first.

By outside LB, I'm guessing you mean strong side LB. Skins might use first draft pick on a Sam LB. They need a LB that can stop the run and rush the passer (like a healthy Marcus Washington)

With such a LB, Skins wouldn't need much pass rush from Daniels who plays the run much better than Jason Taylor did. While staying in his gap, Daniels still gets modest penetration and deflects many passes.

Archived