Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'skins have a strangely quiet offseason

Burgold

It's weird. I'm not sure if we're having a quiet or loud offseason. We brought a lost sheep into the fold, re-signed a corner who we recycled from the scrap heap last year, brought back Daniels at vet min, and made a BIG signing. Everything else that everyone is screaming about has been deals that haven't been made.

We didn't actually break the bank for TO. We didn't give up a decade's worth of draft picks for Cutler. We haven't traded multiple number ones for a North Carolina DE, or get back into the Ocho Cinco sweepstakes.

I mean if you look at what we've done it's actually been a pretty mundane, quiet offseason. Yet, it's also been such a frenetic and loud one. Except almost all the noise has come about from what we didn't do and what we conjecture they wanted to do and how they tried to do it.

I would say that for the most part, we have done the right things this off-season.

Springs had to go.

JT had to go.

Marcus had to go. (He will be back for vet min.)

Signing Hall and Haynesworth was solid, and landing Cutler would have been incredible (until we found out he was "worth" more than 2 first-rounders).

So we add depth/lockeroom presence in Wynn and Daniels, and keep our draft picks.

Campbell might be sour, but I can already hear the disney music in background as he rips defenses apart in '09-'10 and solidifies himself as a Top 10 QB in league....

.... just in time for his contract to run out and leave town.

EDIT: Also, I am a huge fan of the Dockery pick-up.

I'm not sure in what world signing the biggest FA to a $100million contract and making him the highest paid defensive player ever, and then throwing another $50million to a guy who just got paid last season, and then trying to give up your starting QB and 2 First rounders for the highest profile player on the trading block for a few year would constitute a quite offseason.

That's ludicrous. We've been out of control again this year. We seriously are DEEPLY off the rails if we consider this a "quiet offseason" by comparison.

Not getting Cutler and not going after Cutler are two very different things. We've cut several tenured players and big contracts, brought in huge contracts and big name free agents, actively pursued other disgruntled players, and have shaken up the locker room with QB skepticism. How is that quiet?

I'm not sure in what world signing the biggest FA to a $100million contract and making him the highest paid defensive player ever, and then throwing another $50million to a guy who just got paid last season, and then trying to give up your starting QB and 2 First rounders for the highest profile player on the trading block for a few year would constitute a quite offseason.

That's ludicrous. We've been out of control again this year. We seriously are DEEPLY off the rails if we consider this a "quiet offseason" by comparison.

im starting to worry about people on this board.

Everything the Skins have done (and it is mostly good) has been masked by the Cutler miss ... this abject failure will cast a pall over anything done now, during the Draft and beyond. The silence you hear is the mind-nagging buzz of what could have been ... but is not.

honestly, heres what we did this offseason

we signed haynesworth to the largest defensive contract in NFL history.

we sign D hall to a 54 million dollar deal

we signed dockery for a 30 mil (dont remember numbers on this one)

we tried hard to get cutler with draft picks

we tried to move jason campbell for a 2nd rounder

now, thats somehow "quiet".

the san fransisco 49ers built a giant mound of dirt. that was their offseason.

now if ours is quiet, what is the 49ers considered?

Au contraire Burgold, FAR from being quiet, this ranks right up there with most any off-season we've had; and arguably, dependent on your view point, would of topped the lot if we'd landed that young buck from Denver.

We've resigned a young, stud, play making corner; the top free agent on the market, and in so doing filled one of the most glaring needs on the team; and welcomed a familliar face back into the fold to give a much needed boost to an ageing O-Line. We've prudently both released an ageing corner we were getting little value out of, and actually held our hands up to a mistake for once and not compounded it by throwing another 8 million bucks at Jason Taylor. Marcus was a real shame, but a move that needed to happen. And who knows, he might yet be back at a whole bunch cheaper price.

And then we go in real hard for the one thing we've not had around these parts in eon's, a QB well on his way to the top echalone of the game, in many peoples opinion, to tie up the position for the next decade or so.

We all know how that race ended, but with Cutler, on top of Haynesworth et all, it's been far from a quiet spring in Redskin Country.

Hail.

Redskins still have a lot of options out there

-Trade for Ocho Cinco

-Sign Plax

-Trade for Brady Quinn

-Trade some picks to move up and get a QB in the draft

-Trade Campbell

I think I've hit all of them

Redskins still have a lot of options out there

-Trade for Ocho Cinco

-Sign Plax

-Trade for Brady Quinn

-Trade some picks to move up and get a QB in the draft

-Trade Campbell

I think I've hit all of them

sadly and not sadly, everything in your post is a possibility.

but regardless, your vinny at his desk sig is hilarious. lol at punter again.

Useless?

(You forgot they showed Matthew Stafford the door when he refused to answer questions about his parents divorce.)

~Bang

we were one of the biggest players in the offseason. this is just like 06 was, arch/lloyd/ARE. frankly i think haynesworth is bigger than all 3 of those cause he was easily the most coveted player.

but if you wanna play degrees of quiet, ours was a slayer concert, 49ers was a yanni concert.

Again, most of the noise is about what we didn't do. A lot of handwringing over what might have been. I don't really count that. Daniels and Hall, I consider a re-signing (though I think they overpaid Hall), Dockery, Wynn, a return, and Haynesworth the one HUGE, Giganto, enormous move. The rest of it... the stuff that got us so worked up and upset. Never happened. If it doesn't happen it doesn't count.

I'm sure every office tries or conjectures about a thousand moves every offseason and most we never hear about. If it happens it is substantive. If it doesn't how much noise is it really making.

In October, how much will trades that don't go through impact this team? None. We'll have what we have. Unless, the psyche of the team has been unhinged. Will that happen? I doubt it because the players got what they said they wanted. Winners forgive losers hold grudges.

Archived