Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Backup QBs: Learn to rewire or retire (Leftwich and Collins related)

mnb123

TC didn't say that Jason confided in him that he didn't understand the protection scheme, and so TC offered to ask for him.

Just maybe, TC saw one of his teammates struggling to grasp something, so he took it upon himself to asked the question.

Geezus, no none knows everything and that's why they practice, so they can learn. It'd be one thing if it was an "in-game" situation ... we talk'n bout practice though, practice.

Relax ...

"For instance, last season Campbell, playing in his seventh offensive system in eight seasons going back to college, had a few questions about a pass-protection scheme, questions he was too embarrassed to ask."

I just can't get over his quote. I really can't.

TOO EMBARASSED TO ASK? What the hell?

To me it seems like he didn't know what it was and if he asked he would be asking a stupid question. He should know the answer and shouldn't have to ask since he has been in so many offensive systems.

It would be like me asking someone how to setup something on a server and exposing myself to "I am not a really knowledgeable IT guy." :whoknows:

"For instance, last season Campbell, playing in his seventh offensive system in eight seasons going back to college, had a few questions about a pass-protection scheme, questions he was too embarrassed to ask."

I just can't get over his quote. I really can't.

TOO EMBARASSED TO ASK? What the hell?

You can't get over that quote? No way, I couldn't tell.

How dare Jason Campbell be human. :doh:

They weren't left unclarified...and there is nothing in the article to suggest that Campbell would not have ended up asking anyway if Collins had not offered to do so for him. I've had numerous times in my life where people have offered to do things for me that I didn't want to do...but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have done them anyway.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

To get this derailed thread back on track, does anybody besides me disagree with the premise of the article, which is that a guy who wants to start can't be a good backup? I think the author seriously overstates his case.

Sorry, I don't buy the premise of the article - that a guy can't have a burning desire to start and still be a good teammate and backup.
Absolutely.

There is no player that can compete in the NFL without having enough competitiveness in him to believe that he can start, and certainly not at QB. Leftwich put his ambitions behind him and was a model citizen in Pittsburgh last year and sat patiently behind Harrington (?!) in Atlanta the year before.

I have been looking into this out of curiosity, and have a different and shocking conclusion. Yes, I am going to say it.

Racism.

Before you go looking to ban me, consider the following FACTS.

There are exactly 14 QBs in the NFL with winning records as a starter, a positive TD/INT ratio and who have taken a team to the playoffs as a full-time starter.

Brady, Manning (2), Rivers, Pennington, Brees, Warner, Romo sits to pee, Ryan, McNabb, Delhomme, Garrard, Flacco, and Brad Johnson.

An impressive list to say the least.

Here are another 4 QBs who fit into that elite statistic.

Daunte Culpepper, Byron Leftwich, Shaun King and Aaron Brooks.

All are 32 years old or younger and no one will give them a look. Similarly, Jeff Blake also fits on this list and he was out of the league at 32.

(Granted, Culpepper is back in the league but only because the Lions were desperate and picked him up midseason).

While Orlovsky, Carr, Harrington, Boller, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, etc get seemingly unlimited chances, it seems hard to rationalize that no one is interested in giving Byron Leftwich a chance.

You might say that it will come, but the same thing happened to Shaun King. Took the Bucs to the playoffs twice in 2 years and never got another shot. Leftwich looks like he going down the same path.

There seems to be a trend here and you do not have to look very far to find the common denominator.

It seems hard to believe that race could be a real issue in the NFL today but could this really be a coincidence?

Archived